NCAA: The 2024 College Football Playoff: The Only Bowls That Matter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was at the game, these were not the only Ohio St. fans in attendance, one guy was wearing a shirt with a giant asterisk on it, which I think is even more embarrassing than what those people wore.

Ryan Day has just turned a portion of their fanbase into MSU fans where the highlight of the season is rooting against Michigan in big games while highlighting his record in bad, meaningless games. I know some of my fellow UM people disagree, but I actually hope when Day is fired after next season that OSU hires a competent coach that returns the program to where it belongs. In the 12 team playoff era there is room for both teams to be great. I don't think OSU can be great with Day, not with as many good teams on the schedule annually now.
What is the Big12 going to be left with moving forward? Best 2 programs are who?
ACC, will Clemson or Miami return to a top status again? FSU has righted the ship.

Still have ND and probably a smaller conference to be part of the new 12 teams PO.

So looking at a minimum of 3 schools in SEC/Big10, likely 4 each.

OSU will make the PO, question is how far do they go?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
What is the Big12 going to be left with moving forward? Best 2 programs are who?
ACC, will Clemson or Miami return to a top status again? FSU has righted the ship.

Still have ND and probably a smaller conference to be part of the new 12 teams PO.

I'm guessing the B10 gets 3 teams, maybe 4 in a crazy year where other conferences are down..Same with the SEC.

I am not sure OSU under Day is going to be a lock like they would have been had this format been in place since the turn of the century.

Oregon and Michigan are likely going to be a force every year, Washington is well coached and will be a threat, USC is a wildcard, I'm not really a Riley guy but we will see.

Day's record is just so abysmal against good teams, and its not going to be 1 great team and 1 paper tiger on the schedule anymore like it's been.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Go Huskies! So excited about us being one win away from being national champions.

With the contrast between teams, I think the key will be who turns the game into their desired type. A shootout favors Washington, a grind out favors Michigan. One thing I'm hoping is because Michigan played much more of a physical grind out game in the SF, I'm hoping Washington is fresher this week later. The month off sure did wonders for Penix recovering from his rib injury he sustained in the 1st Oregon game.

I think both teams face a similar mental test too. Each had a close emotional win in the SF, so a factor this Monday could also be which team moves on and refocuses better. Should be a great game and hoping the Huskies can complete the job!

Reactions: Summer Rose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Michigan has played that way all year. Very physical, kind of how the SF 49ers play now, started with him as HC. I don't think last week's game will leave anyone fresher, not with the month off between games already.

whoever wins the trenches wins the game. Not sure UW can afford to pass each down. RB will play, but if he's limited would be a major negative for them. Need some balance to keep the DL honest.

On the other side, can Michigan get a big play or 2 so that they can get or setup an easy/quick score.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Big 12 is going to be weird. They won't have one powerhouse team but more often than not they'll get 2 in. The teams that I think are best positioned there are Oklahoma State, TCU, WVU, and KState of the teams still there with Utah and Zona as the best positioned newcomers. Thing is you'll rarely have the same set of 2 teams making it more than twice in a 4 year span unless something really weird happens.

ACC is in a weaker spot despite having some bigger names. FSU is back, but Clemson has been down the past couple years (and is trying to leave along with FSU), Miami has been down for a while, VT is rebuilding, and NCSU has had some good seasons but I can't recall them ever getting to that top 12 level that it takes to make the playoff.

I think most years we'll see:
B1G - 3/4
SEC - 3/4
Big 12 - 2
ACC - 1/2
G5 - 1

ND will probably squeeze in there every third year or so because the media can't get them enough Domer BS.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think most years we'll see:
B1G - 3/4
SEC - 3/4
Big 12 - 2
ACC - 1/2
G5 - 1

ND will probably squeeze in there every third year or so because the media can't get them enough Domer BS.
One of the smaller schools be it Boise St, BYU, or someone will be knocking on the door with a good year with a case to make it in as well. I'd say 6/7 will be SEC/Big10 each year, then the remaining 5/6 from the 2 remaining powers plus anyone not in the power 4 (sad to even write 4 not 5).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
One of the smaller schools be it Boise St, BYU, or someone will be knocking on the door with a good year with a case to make it in as well. I'd say 6/7 will be SEC/Big10 each year, then the remaining 5/6 from the 2 remaining powers plus anyone not in the power 4 (sad to even write 4 not 5).
BYU is Big 12 now, so they're part of that mix. They're probably the best positioned of the last round of expansion but still a ways behind the 6 other schools I mentioned in terms of depth and resources surrounding the program. Mostly the depth part since this is their first season actually recruiting at a P4 level.

Last edited:

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think the playing field has equalled out since NIL. The big10 and former pac12 now paying the players which the SEC did for the past 2 decades as an open secret.

I think usc, oregon, Michigan etc will be strong for years now on top of the big 10 expansion allowing the west coast team more exposure. Penix wins the Heisman is they are in the big 10. You can tell so little of the media watched the huskies until the last couple of games

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
BYU is Big 12 now, so they're part of that mix. They're probably the best positioned of the last round of expansion but still a ways behind the 6 other schools I mentioned in terms of depth and resources surrounding the program. Mostly the depth part since this is their first season actually recruiting at a P4 level.
BYU will be well positioned as they'll have an older team than many others more often than not. I still think the Big 12 should take Boise St.

I think WSU and Oregon St got screwed. Both are good programs with loyal fans. Oregon St was good this year as well and lost their coach due to it.

I think the ACC is toast next. I think FSU, Miami and Clemson go to the SEC and ultimately there will be 2 power conferences. Not sure what would happen to the rest of the ACC.

Guessing at some point Notre Dame will have to join the Big 10.

Reactions: LT and DaveG

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
BYU will be well positioned as they'll have an older team than many others more often than not. I still think the Big 12 should take Boise St.

I think WSU and Oregon St got screwed. Both are good programs with loyal fans. Oregon St was good this year as well and lost their coach due to it.

I think the ACC is toast next. I think FSU, Miami and Clemson go to the SEC and ultimately there will be 2 power conferences. Not sure what would happen to the rest of the ACC.

Guessing at some point Notre Dame will have to join the Big 10.
Better chance SEC takes UNC over any of those schools tbh

Reactions: GKJ

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
ESPN broadcast a high school football game but one of the teams was a fake high school. There's a 2023 movie about it showing on MAX called BS HIGH.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
so nice to have national title game without a alabama or georgia in it i don't really care who wins but slight edge to huskies cause even though i am a oregon fan i respect penix. won't be upset if mich pull it off either though

Reactions: RedRocking

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Better score touchdowns on every drive if you’re Washington

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad