NCAA: The 2024 College Football Playoff: The Only Bowls That Matter

Btlegend082

Jun 23, 2021
No kidding while it was a blast to watch those double didgit overtime games with scores in the 60's and 70's horrible way to end a game granted dont think this is much better and dont know a better alternative

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
1704199193754.jpeg

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Honestly, that's probably the only change I'd make to the current OT rules. Make the third overtime and later like the second overtime where you have to go for 2 if you score a TD.

Isn't this already the case?

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Kind of ironic that after all the hubbub and hot takes about the selection process the two teams playing for the National Championship are the only two that no one questioned having/deserving a spot in the CFP.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think if they started running the planned commercials for the Championship game right now we could have at least a quarter commercial-free.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think if they started running the planned commercials for the Championship game right now we could have at least a quarter commercial-free.
This TX/WA game was nearly 4 hours long. College reviews everything, thus the extra time for the game. For a championship game, I think we want the calls right. But, man, if the NFL did this each week for every game, you're then having in PST, 10am and then pushing the afternoon games to like 1:30 to 2 pm at a minimum.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'm glad I taped the rest of Texas/Washington last night.

An injury nearly cost Washington the game. Crazy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That clock stoppage rule needs to be changed IMMEDIATELY. Good thing Washington held on for the win, otherwise that would be a huge controversy today. Without that terrible rule, Washington punts the ball with about 15 seconds left.
Injury would have cost WA a TO. No different than if WA needed to score and a guy went down. It can go both ways. So, they keep the rule consistent regardless of what the best interests are for the team.

Still goes back to logic and managing the clock. Were those the best run plays WA had to actually try to secure a 1st down and thus end the game? Or were they conservative runs?

Better off taking a knee each time even though you can't run out the clock. Still have to give the ball back to TX with under 20 seconds. But, that is low risk of anything bad happening.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Injury would have cost WA a TO. No different than if WA needed to score and a guy went down. It can go both ways. So, they keep the rule consistent regardless of what the best interests are for the team.

Still goes back to logic and managing the clock. Were those the best run plays WA had to actually try to secure a 1st down and thus end the game? Or were they conservative runs?

Better off taking a knee each time even though you can't run out the clock. Still have to give the ball back to TX with under 20 seconds. But, that is low risk of anything bad happening.
In that case, force WA to use a TO to negate the 10 second runoff instead of allowing Texas to decline it.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This TX/WA game was nearly 4 hours long. College reviews everything, thus the extra time for the game. For a championship game, I think we want the calls right. But, man, if the NFL did this each week for every game, you're then having in PST, 10am and then pushing the afternoon games to like 1:30 to 2 pm at a minimum.
Imagine if they stopped the clock after every first down for the entire game. Would of been 5 hours

Reactions: DaveG

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
I went to sleep at 10 but I was alarmed the end went that late.

The Michigan game Monday starts at 7 30 which is wild considering it started at 8 30 or later many years lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In that case, force WA to use a TO to negate the 10 second runoff instead of allowing Texas to decline it.
No different in the NFL. They instantly charge you a TO for an injury. False start on a running clock is the only chance you have to use a TO vs a 10 second run off or a booth review on a running clock.

After a fumble, the 2nd worst thing that can happen on that 3rd down play did happen which was an injury since they were running between the tackles and thus virtually no chance of going out of bounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad