Pre-Game Talk: The 2024-2025 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019

First line (+ Hagel) aside, jesus christ that forward group looks bad.

That said, IMO it was always obvious that a full retool can't be done in one offseason. I truly expect JBB to fix it all up with TDL/next summer acquisitions.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
*retching intensifies*

JFBB is gonna have to address the top 6 by the TDL. We might even need 2 guys at this point
Maybe one. If Atkinson has anything at all in the tank we might actually be a little better. Keep in mind the second line mostly floundered when Hagel was on 1st. At least we are gonna have a LW on both lines that creates.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Shouldn't the Eyssimont injury open up a big opportunity for someone to get an extended look?

My pick to replace Eyssimont would be Groshev.

As for the hole at RW on the 2nd line, I'm praying for Geekie or someone else in the system to make a quantum leap. From what I read of Atkinson's performance on the flyers last year, where he was scratched for stretches of games, he sounded incrementally better than Sheary.

@DFC Are those pairings just to mess with you?

Chaffee CANNOT be on our 3rd line. Huge weakness during the Panthers series last season.
That third line makes me think Paul is being punished for something in the offseason. Yeah Chaffee's not a third liner, but did you see Sheary play last year?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Didn't think Chaffee was still underrated here...

I don't think he's out of place at all on the third line, out of our NHL experienced group of forwards hes probably the best suited to move up from the lower lines and contribute offensively. Good shot and smart, certainly capable of putting up ~30 points over the course of an entire season on the third line.

Ideally, a prospect explodes and forces Chaffee onto the fourth line.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe one. If Atkinson has anything at all in the tank we might actually be a little better. Keep in mind the second line mostly floundered when Hagel was on 1st. At least we are gonna have a LW on both lines that creates.
Not that Cooper needs any defending but I hope he isn't going to die on the "One line does all the scoring" hill. Now that statement is contextual as hes always done it and its more or less worked and you can argue injuries bit us in our Cup losses. And winning the Cup is hard. But these last 2 years have been us slamming our faces against a brick wall stacking 1 line and nothing happening unless Kucherov is on the ice. I would be overjoyed to see Point and Kucherov together with anyone while Cirelli, Hagel and Guentzel hold down line 2. It will balance our game in a way we haven't had in some time. It's not pretty. It just has to be effective. I think Guentzel and Hagel together could be marvelous. Meanwhile Kucherov could probably get 10 goals out of Maroon if he tried hard enough

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They may be setting the lines right now based on special teams possibilities. That seems a bit more efficient than adjusting to your normal lines, and also learning your PP/PK teammates.

jukiantor

Sep 19, 2024
No way is cooper stupid enough to stick guentzel with point and Kuch come game 1. Hagel will be in that spot as he should be and put guentzel with tony and sadly cam (still can’t belive that’s the best we can do for a contending teams top 6).

My intrest comes on the powerplay because guenztel is an excellent net front guy with some of the best hands in the leauge. I’d much rather him than Paul. Put hagel on the left wall and Kuch pointer and heddy in their spots. Only problem with this is PP2 will be extremely weak with cirelli and Paul being the focal points.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not that Cooper needs any defending but I hope he isn't going to die on the "One line does all the scoring" hill. Now that statement is contextual as hes always done it and its more or less worked and you can argue injuries bit us in our Cup losses. And winning the Cup is hard. But these last 2 years have been us slamming our faces against a brick wall stacking 1 line and nothing happening unless Kucherov is on the ice. I would be overjoyed to see Point and Kucherov together with anyone while Cirelli, Hagel and Guentzel hold down line 2. It will balance our game in a way we haven't had in some time. It's not pretty. It just has to be effective. I think Guentzel and Hagel together could be marvelous. Meanwhile Kucherov could probably get 10 goals out of Maroon if he tried hard enough

Keep in mind last year we were toggling Hagel between the two lines and Stamkos was pretty bad ES until the trade deadline. Both Hagel and Guentzel produce at ES. The top 6 might actually be improved.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
No real surprises from the F lines. Once Ace is back he'll likely be on the 3rd line with Paul and either Sheary or Chaffee. If a prospect excels and makes the jump out of camp, great; if not, hopefully Goncalves sticks as a solid bottom 6 option. Hagel and Cirelli have worked well together, and Guentzel with Point and Kuch could arguably one of the top 3 lines in the league.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I feel like for better or worse Hagel-Cirelli are going to be paired together and used to match up against other teams top lines.

I'm more than happy to dare other teams to shut down our top line and score against our second line every game. A smart coach will leverage puck control and deploy the lines appropriately to maximize their abilities.

In a 7 game series you may need to make an adjustment....spread the scoring around if the top line isn't effective, but on average very few teams have the personnel to do it for a random regular season game.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock into our D pairings as listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad