The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Even at full strength, the C depth is really shaky. TT and Cozens will have to stay healthy AND improve at both ends. Without that, any slump they go through will have no option to fall back on. McLeod/Krebs barely cuts it for two bottom-6 Cs, and I'm not sure they actually cut it. Quinn/Peterka have to step up to offset the loss of Skinner's production, because Zucker won't be doing that. So that's a net-zero gain too. Then on D we're hoping Jokiharju finds another gear he has yet to show, and hope Byram can become a defensively sound player that he has yet to show.

The gap between last season and reaching the playoffs this season has to be covered by internal improvement off-setting the loss of a top-6 C and LW, Ruff and a better 4th line. That's a lot of hope.

Reactions: Tatanka

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Even at full strength, the C depth is really shaky. TT and Cozens will have to stay healthy AND improve at both ends. Without that, any slump they go through will have no option to fall back on. McLeod/Krebs barely cuts it for two bottom-6 Cs, and I'm not sure they actually cut it. Quinn/Peterka have to step up to offset the loss of Skinner's production, because Zucker won't be doing that. So that's a net-zero gain too. Then on D we're hoping Jokiharju finds another gear he has yet to show, and hope Byram can become a defensively sound player that he has yet to show.

The gap between last season and reaching the playoffs this season has to be covered by internal improvement off-setting the loss of a top-6 C and LW, Ruff and a better 4th line. That's a lot of hope.
I'd argue they'll have a better 3rd line as well. They haven't been able to ice a legit 3rd line at any point over the last 10 years, no joke. It's always been littered with the leftovers on the roster. I suppose at one point it was Benson Mitts and Greenway. However, due to other injuries in the top 6 (Quinn), they became a defacto top 6 line.

This year they should have a third line that has some defensive chops, an identity and some modicum of skill. I'd say Zucker (or Benson)-McLeod-Greenway is a rock solid third line that could play against other teams top players and still have a chance to score/win the possession game.

A lot will depend on which, if any prospects make the opening night roster. I'd say Kulich has the most legit shot, with Rosen with an outside chance. That could shake up the top 9 a fair bit and knock a guy like Greenway down to the 4th line, which would be a good problem to have. Let's admit it, he'd be the best player on that line. Kulich could potentially play Center and shift Cozens to the wing, which I think the organization should be looking at eventually.

Most likely though, Kulich is in Rochester and our top 13 forward group is pretty much set. Center depth is definitely a problem that started the moment they traded Mitts. They badly need someone to step up at Center ice to either replace Cozens or at least be there in case of injury. The same could be said at top 6 winger. This team is relying on A LOT going right this year to even have a chance at the playoffs.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

This is logical take if we talking odds for the teams that a
Were playoff teams last year compared to our injured gut check team you're accurate in describing.

Maybe f the future take and predict the first ten division games and the record after first twenty . I think a defensively soumd team w a mature 2022 lineup w some grit matches up better than a coin flip against each Atlantic team. Upl gets pissed and the team does.

Then your above speculation made fade some as they gel under new leadership and new talent w room to f up but not on d.

We'll see.

Add better acoustics w the new roof hopefully less dead areas. Cheap seat 22. For full sound. and tell the entitled to watch the game or use their phones outside because we're playing some fook in hockey here

Well not to overstep, hopefully it is as it appears to me

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The top 9 F lsst yr scored 165 goals.

I see top 9 getting 200
thompson 35
quinn 28
Peterka 25
benson 20
Tuch 30
Cozens 28
3C /Zucker /Greenway/other 40

They traded Mitts for D
Skinner bought out
Zucker= mitts goals
Skinner loss made up by many.

Reactions: Diaspora

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Krebs deal is basically what most predicted.

Still a small chance Krebs blossoms into something.

But currently he seems too small and slow to play in our bottom 6, and not enough skill or speed for the top 6. He’s a guy who just kinda takes up space. Has never truly earned his spot on the roster in 3 years here.
I agree he should have been in the AHL, probably would have been better for his development

Reactions: BFLO

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Not as a 4th liner or pressboxer.
It appears to me that Kulich is our seventh top-six forward, while Krebs is slotting in as our seventh bottom-six forward. If that means Kulich plays in Rochester (because he's waiver exempt) and only appears when/if there's an opening in the top six, I think you should have your 13 forwards right there.

Reactions: elchud and KeepKane

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'd argue they'll have a better 3rd line as well. They haven't been able to ice a legit 3rd line at any point over the last 10 years, no joke. It's always been littered with the leftovers on the roster. I suppose at one point it was Benson Mitts and Greenway. However, due to other injuries in the top 6 (Quinn), they became a defacto top 6 line.

This year they should have a third line that has some defensive chops, an identity and some modicum of skill. I'd say Zucker (or Benson)-McLeod-Greenway is a rock solid third line that could play against other teams top players and still have a chance to score/win the possession game.

A lot will depend on which, if any prospects make the opening night roster. I'd say Kulich has the most legit shot, with Rosen with an outside chance. That could shake up the top 9 a fair bit and knock a guy like Greenway down to the 4th line, which would be a good problem to have. Let's admit it, he'd be the best player on that line. Kulich could potentially play Center and shift Cozens to the wing, which I think the organization should be looking at eventually.

Most likely though, Kulich is in Rochester and our top 13 forward group is pretty much set. Center depth is definitely a problem that started the moment they traded Mitts. They badly need someone to step up at Center ice to either replace Cozens or at least be there in case of injury. The same could be said at top 6 winger. This team is relying on A LOT going right this year to even have a chance at the playoffs.
Yeah if Zucker can still play and McLeod fills 3C that line can be an upgrade. I think I was posting with the puke still in my mouth when I read that Krebs was penciled in at 3C. Hopefully McLeod and Lafferty get much more ice time as the bottom-6 Cs.

I see top 9 getting 200
thompson 35
quinn 28
Peterka 25
benson 20
Tuch 30
Cozens 28

They traded Mitts for D
Skinner bought out
Zucker= mitts goals
Wow how do you see through such deeply rose colored shades?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Yeah if Zucker can still play and McLeod fills 3C that line can be an upgrade. I think I was posting with the puke still in my mouth when I read that Krebs was penciled in at 3C. Hopefully McLeod and Lafferty get much more ice time as the bottom-6 Cs.

Wow how do you see through such deeply rose colored shades?
Krebs is an NHL player. He's not bad for what he's being paid, and where he's slotted in the the lineup. He's a disappointment if you expected him be a second line center, but once you drop that he's fine for where he is and should help the team. He's still young, and he has room to grow.

That said, I think McLeod is an improvement over Krebs for 3C today. And having competition in the bottom six is a really good thing. He's a disappointment if you expected Savoie to bring back a second line center, but once you drop that he's fine for where he is and should help the team. He's still young and he has a room to grow.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
It appears to me that Kulich is our seventh top-six forward, while Krebs is slotting in as our seventh bottom-six forward. If that means Kulich plays in Rochester (because he's waiver exempt) and only appears when/if there's an opening in the top six, I think you should have your 13 forwards right there.
I agree. How I think they will run the forwards and call-ups. Say if Greenway is banged up and misses a few games. Malenstyn/Lafferty may get bumped up to play with McLeod and Zucker, while Krebs plays with Aube-Kubel and the other.

If anyone in the top 6 is out, then I think Kulich gets the first chance with Zucker/McCleod as a fall back.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Thats not quite true. They had a pretty good one at the start of last season with Benson/Mitts/Greenway. It would have been fun to see how they would have developed throughout the season. But unfortunately the top 6 was playing like complete ass. So they were broken up and spread among the top 3 lines to get those guys going.

EDIT: You touched on that line in your post. I’m lamenting what could have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Friedman says in 32T today that he’s not convinced the Sabres are going to sit on the cap room. Also heard Krebs may be traded before he signed.

Bit of a shocker - assume this means he’s at least heard of them peaking around.

Reactions: joshjull

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I see top 9 getting 200
thompson 35
quinn 28
Peterka 25
benson 20
Tuch 30
Cozens 28

They traded Mitts for D
Skinner bought out
Zucker= mitts goals
Thompson-40
Quinn-30
Peterka-35
Benson-10
Tuch-25
Cozens-27
Zucker 12
Mcleod 10
Kulich 14

Feels like projecting but after their awful seasons last year you have to expect higher goal totals from a lot of these guys.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Coleman & Andersson would be great adds.

I tend to agree, but it would largely depend on their NTCs. Andersson has a 6 team NTC, which could just be the other canadian teams, but Coleman has a 10 team approved trade list, essentially a 22 team NTC, which almost certainly includes us unless he has some personal ties to the org.

Ruff was hired the season after Coleman was traded from NJ to Tampa, so nothing there.

The reality of it is....if we don't start winning consistently, we are never going to get off of this NMC/NTCs. Nobody wants to go to a chronic loser team. They certainly don't want to go to a high tax, worse weather, rust belt city loser team.

We will also be on some NTCs, but at least if players felt they could win here, it'd at least give players second thought when we came calling.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad