The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021

The most interesting one to me is the goalie position.

I think there will be no real surprises at forward and defense.

While I agree that this is the likely roster, I believe there are players that could work their way into a spot. Kulich is definitely one. Gilbert is the other

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Yeah there's some clickbait-y stuff passing around on X and Greenway seems to be the best lure.

Speed aside, he may be the most "Lindy" player on the roster. I expect him to be a mainstay on what should be a good PK again.
I think Greenway could more than capably fill the "Grier" type role for Lindy.

Possibly even complete with the 2-3 breakaways per game that result in no goals, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Krebs is 13F
Others are iij injury call ups.
7th D for is where the battle is in
Levi starts in rochester

They go 13/7/2 to start with roster flexibility.

Looks like Krebs for 2 yr at $1.45 per

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

It’s been updated with Krebs as a lock but not Greenway. :laugh:

Greenway has officially achieved whipping boy status on Sabres twitter. The Krebs ride or die crowd coming in hot.

Last edited:

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I fully expect Benson to be on the 2nd line this season. I could see him start the season on the 3rd line just to see where he's at in his sophomore season, but Benson is a stud and I can't see him not fixating himself in the Top 6 moving forward. He clearly had something going with Cozens and Quinn and finished last season strong, I think there's chemistry there to build on alone. He's got more compete and hockey IQ than almost every other player on this team.

Still don't think that people realise how difficult it is to score 30 points in 70 games (35pt pace in 82 games) as an 18 year old in this league unless you're a Top 3 drafted talent. Benson was 4th/5th on my 2023 draft board, he's going to go places and I think he has it in him to increase his pt totals to the 50+ realm this season, especially if he gets some PP time like he did at the end of last season where he quickly showed he belonged.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I fully expect Benson to be on the 2nd line this season. I could see him start the season on the 3rd line just to see where he's at in his sophomore season, but Benson is a stud and I can't see him not fixating himself in the Top 6 moving forward. He clearly had something going with Cozens and Quinn and finished last season strong, I think there's chemistry there to build on alone. He's got more compete and hockey IQ than almost every other player on this team.

Still don't think that people realise how difficult it is to score 30 points in 70 games (35pt pace in 82 games) as an 18 year old in this league unless you're a Top 3 drafted talent. Benson was 4th/5th on my 2023 draft board, he's going to go places and I think he has it in him to increase his pt totals to the 50+ realm this season, especially if he gets some PP time like he did at the end of last season where he quickly showed he belonged.
Lindy is going to fall in love with Benny and he will be playing a lot, I'll guarantee it. Lindy's been talking about "getting into people" that's Benson's MO.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I get why they don't think Greenway fits anymore due to speed but he's certainly not a bad player.
I agree, I'm not a big fan of Greenway and I think he lacks the speed and skill to play high in the lineup. That being said, he's a good PKer and solid defensive player so I'm definitely fine with him being on the 4th line, I'd just prefer if he got utilised higher in the lineup sparingly.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I get why they don't think Greenway fits anymore due to speed but he's certainly not a bad player.
Krebs isn’t really any faster.

Playing with speed is as much about whats between a players ears as it is about their foot speed. It’s why Benson’s can play at pace even though his footspeed isn’t great. Greenway is similar, though with less offensive acumen than Benson.

Krebs is still figuring it out.

Reactions: Matt Ress

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Greenway averaged 17:15 a game last year. He won't be at 4th line mins this year, no way.
In fairness, that was his overall ice time with a different coach. It doesn’t have much relevance to what Lindy will do with him 5v5.

His career 5v5 ice time has been about 12-13mins. Being a bottom 6 winger makes sense for him based on that. Maybe even middle 6 winger if the ice time is relatively balanced among lines

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The issue with the Krebs deal is Adams has created a scenario that your 13th forward is going to be making a minimum of 1.3M on the bench. And, given our cap situation, its not a huge deal.

But it's just more roster mismanagement.

You spend a 2nd round pick, a former 10 top pick, overpay for 4th line UFAs to revamp your bottom six. The wisdom of that is debatable....but, it's done, it's what Adams has bragged as his big accomplishment this summer.

Now you have a young forward who likely won't earn a regular roster spot this summer. And rather than just tell him to sign their QO when they have no leverage....Adams gives him a raise and 2 years.

And, when you consider that our absolute best case scenario is that a player like Kulich or Rosen force their way onto the roster with strong play...now you have almost 3M in cap space sitting on the bench.

At a bare minimum, you are overpaying for a 13th forward. In a 'best case' scenario, you are overpaying for a 13th and 14th forward. It really is mind boggling the lack of common sense this front office has.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
The issue with the Krebs deal is Adams has created a scenario that your 13th forward is going to be making a minimum of 1.3M on the bench. And, given our cap situation, its not a huge deal.

You spend a 2nd round pick, a former 10 top pick, overpay for 4th line UFAs to revamp your bottom six. The wisdom of that is debatable....but, it's done, it's what Adams has bragged as his big accomplishment this summer.

Now you have a young forward who likely won't earn a regular roster spot this summer. And rather than just tell him to sign their QO when they have no leverage....Adams gives him a raise and 2 years.

And, when you consider that our absolute best case scenario is that a player like Kulich or Rosen force their way onto the roster with strong play...now you have almost 3M in cap space sitting on the bench.

At a bare minimum, you are overpaying for a 13th forward. In a 'best case' scenario, you are overpaying for a 13th and 14th forward. It really is mind boggling the lack of common sense this front office has.
Uhh, no...

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Uhh, no...

What leverage did Krebs have?

Is he being offersheeted? Is he arbitration eligible?

Krebs has zero leverage. Whatever the comparables are....it doesn't matter. He is the 13th forward on the team. If he doesn't like it, he can play hard and punish us in arbitration next year.

It'd be a different situation if he was actually penciled onto the active roster...he's not. The team went out and spent dollars and assets to ensure he wouldn't be.

And then they hand him a two year, market rate deal? Agents must love negotiating with Adams. He couldn't leverage a see saw with an oompa lumpa on the other side.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What leverage did Krebs have?

Is he being offersheeted? Is he arbitration eligible?

Krebs has zero leverage. Whatever the comparables are....it doesn't matter. He is the 13th forward on the team. If he doesn't like it, he can play hard and punish us in arbitration next year.

It'd be a different situation if he was actually penciled onto the active roster...he's not. The team went out and spent dollars and assets to ensure he wouldn't be.

And then they hand him a two year, market rate deal? Agents must love negotiating with Adams. He couldn't leverage a see saw with an oompa lumpa on the other side.
Just because you call him a 13th forward doesn’t mean he’s actually going to be the 13th forward. And even if he is for some games, he’s not going to be for most of the games.

You might be less confused if you revisit your assumptions.

They brought in new players to ensure competition, not to ensure Krebs is off the roster. It’s a weird take and it’s almost definitely wrong.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

So now NAK and Lafferty are overpaid.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I'm a little sceptical on wether or not a Kulich,Rosen or any prospect has a real chance to make the team out of training camp.
I think Ruff got the players he desired and that's it.
Was hoping to see Kulich or possibly Rosen.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Just because you call him a 13th forward doesn’t mean he’s actually going to be the 13th forward. And even if he is for some games, he’s not going to be for most of the games.

You might be less confused if you revisit your assumptions.

They brought in new players to ensure competition, not to ensure Krebs is off the roster. It’s a weird take and it’s almost definitely wrong.

I certainly understand there will be injuries. But....again....isn't that why you drafted all these forwards? What's the point of having all this young forwards ready to come up if you are going to pay your 13th forward almost 1.5M? Sign a guy to a NHL minimum deal for spot work and call up a body if its a longer term injury.

So now NAK and Lafferty are overpaid.

is NAK substantially better than Christian Fisher? No. Fischer signed a 1.1M deal, we are paying NAK 1.5M.

Is Lafferty better than Janmark? No. Why is Janmark getting 1.5 and Lafferty getting 2.0M?

In no dimension is Malenstyn worth a 2nd round pick. Nor is McLeod worth Savoie.

I get it, its fine, we pay the 'horribly run team' tax to get UFAs to come here and have to overpay in trade because anyone will a NTC/NMC will laugh.

But...if you are going to DO that, overpay for outside talent in your bottom six.

Why are you giving one guy who has no option other than go to the KHL for a year or sit out a year....a market rate deal. One guy you have actual leverage on. And even if you are Ok with giving him the market rate...why are you doing it for 2 years rather than just 1? Especially when Adams has been crying wolf over the imagined RFA Armageddon with Quinn, Levi and Peterka next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad