GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft - Nashville, TN - 4:00pm (AZ) - ESPN, ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Interesting that both said they knew this was going to happen but was a secret. Interesting both emphasized their deals are only for two years. Sounds like there’s a game plan all set and ready on these guys.
Yeah, the staff was set on these two guys the whole time. "Expect the unexpected" for sure, they kept a good secret.
After taking some pause and watching and reading more on these two, it's hard not to be excited about their potential. Could have a Mo Seider / Tage Thompson combo in a couple years.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's also cool they are friends, I think that bodes well for getting them over here together, making it easier to acclimate once they're here. I'm reminded of BA's comments about how hard players play for the team that drafted him, I can see these two doing that in spades!

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
It's also cool they are friends, I think that bodes well for getting them over here together, making it easier to acclimate once they're here. I'm reminded of BA's comments about how hard players play for the team that drafted him, I can see these two doing that in spades!
9588F83F-A666-46F6-8AB0-26841EC9EC13.jpeg

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
When the Montréal Canadiens chose Austrian defenseman David Reinbacher with the fifth overall pick, talented SKA Saint Petersburg forward Matvei Michkov was available for the taking. The problem for the Coyotes was that after meeting with Michkov before the draft, they came away with the distinct impression that he wanted no part of the franchise.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Button's interview clearly says he believes they drafted for need. He mentions it more as how you build a team. Not BPA.

Whatever, they are now Coyotes' prospects so hope for the best for them
I noticed that too. Makes me think he kind of builds out his lists like that too. BUt he also mentioned how VGK's blueline was a big reason why they won and watching more on Simashev he is a smoothing skating, rangy and gigantic defenseman. Going to be hard for Bedard to get around him.

The pedigree of our scouting staff has been talked about quite a lot, so I’m going to trust they know what they’re doing and that these may be very high ceiling players if it works out. We’ll have to wait and see!
This. But our drafts are starting to live and die on the hands of our Russian scout.

Kinda fun to take two gigantic homerun swings like this. Especially since we’ve got a scouting team with a great reputation.
Fun isn't the word I'd use. Nothing we can do now but enjoy the thrill ride.

I will give the scouts benefit of the doubt because they have earned it. But I will always compare these players value in the future to Michkov and Benson. Even if they turn out to be solid players...they need to bring more value than the two that I'm sure most would have considered BPA.
Leonard and Benson will be my two comparables. Dvorsky and Honzek my second two.

Still believe BA is looking at building his 2025-26 team at the draft. Next two seasons will come from finding a few more Bjugstads and Ghostbeheres.

As long as /we don’t add any Kassians we’ll be fine.
Agreed. We'll be adding another top 10 pick next season. Most likely top 6.

And the 2026-2027 Coyotes could look like this
But-Cooley-Keller
Maccelli-Geekie-Guenther
Crouse-Hayton-Fedotov
Smith-McBain-Doan

Duda-Simachev
Moser-Soderstrom
Valimaki-Lamoureux

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

More from the article....

Given the situation with Ukraine, getting to see those two play was difficult as it was BUT.......

As it turns out, the Coyotes found a way around that issue. GM Bill Armstrong, director of amateur scouting Darryl Plandowski and associate director of amateur scouting Ryan Jankowski all watched both players play live in a tournament in Belarus where only one other team was present.

They came out of that tournament blown away.

“Simashev is a physically dominant defenseman,” Armstrong said. “We call him the unicorn of the draft. They’re hard to find, guys that can move and skate like that for a big man.”

“He gets up in the neutral zone and he hunts you down. His feet for a big man, I can honestly say this, I don’t know that I’ve seen a skater of his size in the last 20 some odd years. He can close on guys quick.”

Reactions: Freddy Sjostrom

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Starts at 6:30 mark

“In the minds of many scouts, on pure talent, KHL stuff aside, on pure talent he was 1st or maybe 2nd best defenseman in the draft”

“Detroit, or St Louis or Washington doesn’t take him? The answer to that question is no!”

“On pure talent, where he got picked is reasonable”

“I was watching the Black Sea Cup Tournament in Belarus. Not an easy place to get to for Americans. I was watching the feed for the game and the camera turns and there’s a gigantic Arizona contingent with both their amateur directors and Bull Armstrong in the stands. And that got around the league real quickly.

I get confident they were going to take one of these kids. I didn’t think two. Now I LOVE both of these kids but I’m not sure even I could take both because it’s a lot of risk. But in terms of pure talent they are BOTH top ten players in the draft. They are both big and they are fast and they compete hard and they have skill and they LOOK like NO DOUBT NHL players”

“Both are premium athletes that you are hard pressed to find if you don’t pick them like they got picked today. But looks like Quentin Byfield. And Simashev looks like Simon Edvinsson. They look like these guys who go really high in the draft. But they didn’t and it’s just because they’re Russians.”

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Both Simashev and But are under contract for two more seasons and they are not allowed to compete in development camp next week due to those contractual restrictions, but both will visit Arizona soon, per team sources. Because of those contracts, there are analysts who wonder whether the two players will ever play a game in Arizona, but Armstrong and co. didn’t just scout the players, they got to know them in Belarus, they got to know their families and they met with the players again before the draft to gauge their willingness to come to Arizona.

Both players expressed a desire to play for the Coyotes in those meetings, and again when interviewed by media after their selections. When Arizona selected But at No. 12, Simashev was overjoyed at the thought of a teammate joining him.

“Being in the NHL is my dream,” he said. “This only makes it better.”

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
In hindsight, all those smirks, being coy, expect the unexpected comments, etc. there's no doubt they were planning on these two all along. I mean sure if something silly like Fantilli falling to 6 happened they probably would've pivoted but barring that I'm 100% convinced they entered the draft room today with a plan to walk out of there with both Simashev and But!

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
In hindsight, all those smirks, being coy, expect the unexpected comments, etc. there's no doubt they were planning on these two all along. I mean sure if something silly like Fantilli falling to 6 happened they probably would've pivoted but barring that I'm 100% convinced they entered the draft room today with a plan to walk out of there with Simashev and But!
The comments about having to triple check the spelling on the jersey stitching, in hindsight, was a real Easter egg.

Meanwhile, those post lottery interviews where he talked about picking players he’d seen at the U18s and be specifically called out plays Ryan Leonard had made. Yeah, well, neither of these kids were even at that tournament. They weren’t even in that country.

BA was taking us for a ride.

Reactions: Sinurgy

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

View attachment 723329View attachment 723330
I like most of that but he's really leaning into the KHL thing, the emphasis on *IF* the Coyotes can get them signed is a bit concerning. That said I have to believe BA and staff took that into account and came out of interviews with the two of them feeling confident it wouldn't be an issue. Not to mention the reports out there that BA was able to meet their families as well while in Belarus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad