GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Mazur has been terrible? Nice opinion you got there.
Mazur and Lombardi are the two picks that are showing promise and even then, Mazur is heading to his D+4 year. Lombardi is still pretty early. 2/13 in rounds 1-4 on picks from North America. Mastrosimone? Picked a little early but didn't mind it, bust. Ethan Phillips? Hanas? Sebrango? Stange? Cossa? Buium? That's a lot of early picks and not a single one of these players aside from Mazur//Lombardi has increased their value since being drafted

Reactions: ShanahanMan

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Geez these guys have been Wings for 15 minutes. Let’s give them them a little time before we write them off

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
If you want a 6’5 physical defenseman then just draft Dvorak who has at least shown some offense and I’m fine with it.

Or don't trade down and take Strbak. Really like that kid and now he goes to Buffalo of all places.
Some relly high upside forwards there too, Heidt, Ziemmer, Perron etc.

1st round was fine, even if i would have liked Benson/Dvorsky + Barlow. Still Danielson looks good too and ASP has some great potential.

But that 2nd round was just... Weird.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Geez these guys have been Wings for 15 minutes. Let’s give them them a little time before we write them off
I dont think you get the draft at all.

It's all about picking your favourite names among a group of kids you know nothing about aside from what a few randos on twitter have to say about them, then rage when they choose someone different.

Reactions: Duane Smith

PuckeDRW

Jun 13, 2020
Or don't trade down and take Strbak. Really like that kid and now he goes to Buffalo of all places.
Some relly high upside forwards there too, Heidt, Ziemmer, Perron etc.

1st round was fine, even if i would have liked Benson/Dvorsky + Barlow. Still Danielson looks good too and ASP has some great potential.

But that 2nd round was just... Weird.
Yeah - I think our main issue is the player selected more than the position itself. Massive amounts of talent left on the board either way.

Reactions: Kibe

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I will say that if you're looking for scoring, I think that ASP was a great pick. I really wanted us to go after forwards with high potential too (I'd have sprinted my way to a Dvorsky/Perreault draft and be cracking a bottle of champagne on the draft floor), but I don't think this is a draft to be upset about. ASP is going to help this team score. Nate Danielson has some real upside to his game honestly. It's not what I'd have done, but I don't think this has been a mistake.
How many of the posters hating this draft, also wa
How long are we going to use this?
Until the picks that have been made over the last couple of years have a chance to pane out

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Mazur and Lombardi are the two picks that are showing promise and even then, Mazur is heading to his D+4 year. Lombardi is still pretty early. 2/13 in rounds 1-4 on picks from North America. Mastrosimone? Picked a little early but didn't mind it, bust. Ethan Phillips? Hanas? Sebrango? Stange? Cossa? Buium? That's a lot of early picks and not a single one of these players aside from Mazur//Lombardi has increased their value since being drafted
Hanas was hurt most of last year and was great until then. Cossa is fine and Buium has been great at Denver.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Again, that doesn't fit Yzerman's M.O. He likely could've traded back a couple spots and still gotten Seider. Instead he "reached" because he was confident in who he wanted and wasnt willing to risk losing him. Same with Danielson. Trading back and adding nothing feels more like throwing darts than a can't miss strategy.
I mean they did add pick 147 or something like that, it was nothing. That said I did see the wait time after the Cristall pick. I wonder if they had actually wanted him, and then turned to the phones as their pickwas not there. That or it was a perceived funnel point in the draft, and teams had already discussed moving into that space.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What kind of success rate are you expecting on picks in rounds 2-4?
Cossa is trending alright and I wouldn't use goalies to say much about Draper/Andersson anyway.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Johansson and Wallinder are showing promise.

Tuomisto? Niederbach? Grewe? Viro? Kilpinen? That's a lot of early picks and not a single one of these players has increased their value since being drafted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad