GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
lol, Wings in 24 hours went from the possibility of trading for impact forwards and drafting core pieces of our future team to whatever the f*** the last 24 hours have been.

lol. This off-season reminds me of the year we missed out on Suter and Parise. Larkin has to be looking at the next five years and wondering why the hell he didn't go UFA and go play with Werenski in Columbus.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I mean, ok. I just think we should get on the same page of what we're discussing. You asked "What other draft picks are sure fire NHLers?". I interpreted that as you meant there are 0.

And what is an "NHLer" according to you? 100+ NHL games played? Because I'd say there are a number of other guys that are sure fire NHLers, and its perfectly reasonable that draft picks in the 2nd round and beyond from 2020 and after have not played in the NHL yet, even when they are tracking very well
Okay fair point. For higher picks, I should say high end NHLers. For lower picks, yes, I’ll take just productive NHLers in any right.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
lol, Wings in 24 hours went from the possibility of trading for impact forwards and drafting core pieces of our future team to whatever the f*** the last 24 hours have been.

lol. This off-season reminds me of the year we missed out on Suter and Parise. Larkin has to be looking at the next five years and wondering why the hell he didn't go UFA and go play with Werenski in Columbus.
:banghead:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
feelings on the picks themselves aside it's pretty disappointing that the Wings had three 2nds and didn't take a single forward with them even if they did at least take a decent looking one with their 3rd

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
jVbqj1K.png

Current BPAs (according to McKenzie's list)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
That’s at least good.

This tells me the problem is Draper. He needs to go. 2nd round picks under him are usually trash, other than Mazur. Hakan has continued to make great picks. We need a new NA scout.
Since 2019, who are the "Hakan" picks that have been great in the 2nd-3rd round? I'm not seeing a huge difference in NA vs Europe picks, unless you're just using your bias to say things like Buchelnikov is a stud and James is a bum, when it's way too early to tell

Reactions: Bob99

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Since 2019, who are the "Hakan" picks that have been great in the 2nd-3rd round? I'm not seeing a huge difference in NA vs Europe picks, unless you're just using your bias to say things like Buchelnikov is a stud and James is a bum, when it's way too early to tell
Berggren is it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That Brady Cleveland pick is so confusing.

After doing some research, looks like his absolute ceiling is a rugged 6/7 D. I have no idea how using a 2nd round pick in a deep draft can be justified on a guy that likely never plays, and if everything goes absolutely right, he's a Brian Lashoff.

I just don't get it...if we were set on this guy for some reason, trade back? or just pick him later?
If you want a 6’5 physical defenseman then just draft Dvorak who has at least shown some offense and I’m fine with it.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hakan has earned the benefit of the doubt with his previous picks. Draper was hired on pure nepotism, with no background in scouting, and has yet to have what we would call a decent draft. His 2nd/3rd/4th round picks from North America (the players he watches) have been terrible.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hakan has earned the benefit of the doubt with his previous picks. Draper was hired on pure nepotism, with no background in scouting, and has yet to have what we would call a decent draft. His 2nd/3rd/4th round picks from North America (the players he watches) have been terrible.
Mazur has been terrible? Nice opinion you got there.

Reactions: raymond23

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Berggren is it.
Berggren was the draft before Draper was director of Amateur scouting. I was trying to make it an apples to apples time frame. Even then, do we KNOW that Berggren is a better NHLer than Veleno at this point?

So in rounds 2-3 "Hakan" has Albert Johansson, Wallinder, and a bunch of guys that are pretty far off.

"Draper" has Mazur and a bunch of guys that are pretty far off.

Fire Draper?
(and if we're talking 4th round picks like lidstrom is cool mentions, throw in a win for the Lombardi pick)

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
"Draper retired on July 26, 2011"

"Immediately following Draper's retirement from hockey, he was added to the Red Wings' front office staff. He previously served as the special assistant to the general manager, Ken Holland. In this position Draper "work closely with Detroit’s management team, assisting in player evaluation at both the professional and amateur levels. He will be asked to provide input regarding potential trades and free agent signings, as well as providing insight into potential selections at the annual NHL Entry Draft."

...it sounds like he had 8 years of experience in scouting before he was hired?

EDIT: I dont know why that is crossed out. I need an adult!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad