OT: The 2023 Holiday Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The Bride sent me out to get the turkey for Thanksgiving.
Got a 20 pounder.
But now I know why she sent me. It was like crazy lady day like when Filene’s basement had their bridal gown sale.

I always pre-order mine from Wilson’s Farm. Prepay, dedicated pickup window, fresh turkey, plus killer gravy and extras.

Can’t be beat.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Getting the goods ready tonight to decorate.

Put up the stockings. It was very...emotional only putting up these two stockings, instead of three. I miss my Louie so much. I put away his stocking with a heavy heart.

20231117_153547.jpg

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Trying to get things done before the knee surgery.....got out the lights to wrap the front porch railing and columns.....dead, all 50'. They were a very pretty glass bulb set, but are very fragile. So fragile when wrapping the railing if you hit them they would break. Well.....I'm done....not trying to figure out why they aren't working.

Into the trash....told Renee no lights on front porch this year, don't want to spend extra $

We will have outdoor lights on porch roof line, 2 split rail fence sections by driveway and around driveway door entrance. Anything that is annoying this year is not allowed.

Also one tree this year, not 2 since it goes in the corner where the new heat pump is. Looks like some decorations won't be back until our move to Maine (2025)

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Trying to get things done before the knee surgery.....got out the lights to wrap the front porch railing and columns.....dead, all 50'. They were a very pretty glass bulb set, but are very fragile. So fragile when wrapping the railing if you hit them they would break. Well.....I'm done....not trying to figure out why they aren't working.

Into the trash....told Renee no lights on front porch this year, don't want to spend extra $

We will have outdoor lights on porch roof line, 2 split rail fence sections by driveway and around driveway door entrance. Anything that is annoying this year is not allowed.

Also one tree this year, not 2 since it goes in the corner where the new heat pump is. Looks like some decorations won't be back until our move to Maine (2025)
Wise choices. I don’t believe in killing myself to celebrate a holiday. Keep it simple.

Reactions: Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yesterday we celebrated our 20th Friend Thanksgiving*.

Our junior year of college, the morning after an epic beer pong tournament that left us in rough shape, a small group descended on one of my roommates parents house in Woburn for a pre-Thanksgiving feast.

We’re getting to the point where the kids outnumber the adults and the vibe is no longer college party with some Thanksgiving food, and I love how it’s changed and grown over the years.

*we call it Friend Thanksgiving. We were doing it before Friendsgiving was a thing and we hold onto that

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yesterday we celebrated our 20th Friend Thanksgiving*.

Our junior year of college, the morning after an epic beer pong tournament that left us in rough shape, a small group descended on one of my roommates parents house in Woburn for a pre-Thanksgiving feast.

We’re getting to the point where the kids outnumber the adults and the vibe is no longer college party with some Thanksgiving food, and I love how it’s changed and grown over the years.

*we call it Friend Thanksgiving. We were doing it before Friendsgiving was a thing and we hold onto that
love that tradition

Reactions: Kate08

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Time to start the tree and the Christmas movies !

Last year we got too busy and barely watched any.....I usually stay up late by myself watching A Christmas Carol (George C Scott) , along woth the Disney Jim Carey version and of coure the Muppets

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Yum Yum Yum

Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour

2 t ground ginger

2 t ground cinnamon

½ t cloves

2 t baking soda

¼ t allspice

½ t salt

3/4 cup butter flavor Crisco

1 C brown sugar

1 egg

¼ cup molasses​

Preheat oven to 375

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat Crisco and sugar until incorporated. Then beat on medium high for 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through, until mixture is somewhat light and fluffy.

Add egg and molasses and beat on low -medium until incorporated.

Add dry ingredients and beat on medium until incorporated

Roll into 1 ½ “ balls, then roll in small bowl of sugar.

Place 2” apart on cookie sheet, bake 8 – 9 minutes

Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
We do a real tree and realized a few years ago that the weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas are already too full. A few years ago we started taking a day off/half day the week after Thanksgiving, getting the tree, and going to Mystic Station for lunch. It's turned into a nice tradition for us.

If you're local to Malden, Mystic Station can't be beat around Christmas. They participate in Miracle and the place is decked out to the 9's with decorations, holiday drink specials, and more. Great food, killer beer menu and incredibly nice owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad