Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think EP2 probably tops out as a third pairing defensemen, and even then, he’s probably got like a 25% of doing that.
I actually think that he will become a decent 3rd pairing Dman for us but I'm very hope full to say the least.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
they bought it for the tech (and maybe the nhlpa connections, altho i bet the caps have those already) and for the staff to build internal tooling. why would they buy the site and then just fire the staff?
I don't really understand how nowadays you can't just hire somebody, point at that website and say make us that and keep it updated

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I don't really understand how nowadays you can't just hire somebody, point at that website and say make us that and keep it updated
We’re close to the point where you can ask ChatGPT or some other AI to do all the work.

Reactions: Lindgren

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I don't think we are as close as some seem to think
I saw a demo earlier this week where a couple of developers used AI to reproduce in one day a fully functional web app that probably took several weeks to develop the old fashioned way.
It’s not 100% automatic but it can be a tremendous productivity aid.

Reactions: andora

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Not sure if this is the place to post, but has anyone seen a young stars roster for the Canucks?

We are only a little more than 2 weeks away.

Also, do they have some sort of mini training camp ahead of time to get the guys together so that they can evaluate who should play with who? And get used to each others playing styles.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's interesting that three of the Canucks European prospects from the last two drafts have come to North America rather than continue development in their home countries (Willander, Alriksson, and Sansonnens).

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's interesting that three of the Canucks European prospects from the last two drafts have come to North America rather than continue development in their home countries (Willander, Alriksson, and Sansonnens).
Shows their commitment to trying to improve on the smaller N.A. rink. It's too bad Melvin Fernstrom doesn't follow them to the CHL, but I understand he's under contract to an SHL team.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
podz has never overcome his iq issues. this camp is his last chance with the canucks i think. he's almost at the point of needing a change of scenery/coach if he's ever going to find his feet in the nhl. i am skeptical he does because i am not sure he is smart enough to see what he needs to do without constant guidance. i used to think he was a sergeant but now i think he's a corporal at best and probably a private.

Yes :nod:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'Hockey Writers Website' has listed their top-100 prospects affiliated with NHL teams. Tom Wilander comes in at #33 and Jonathan Lekkerimaki at #25. This is actually pretty impressive for a team that has bled so many first and second round picks over the last two or three seasons.

So given their high post-draft ranking, it'll be a bit of a disappointment if they don't arrive sooner in Vancouver, rather than later. And they both could fill a glaring need on this roster--a mobile, puck moving d-man and a scoring winger.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The 'Hockey Writers Website' has listed their top-100 prospects affiliated with NHL teams. Tom Wilander comes in at #33 and Jonathan Lekkerimaki at #25. This is actually pretty impressive for a team that has bled so many first and second round picks over the last two or three seasons.

So given their high post-draft ranking, it'll be a bit of a disappointment if they don't arrive sooner in Vancouver, rather than later. And they both could fill a glaring need on this roster--a mobile, puck moving d-man and a scoring winger.
not sure where to post this, but Gustav Forsling, who never played a game for the Canucks, is now considered a top 25 in the NHL defencemen, and was traded for Clendening ... in hind site one of the worst Canuck trades ... sigh.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Praying the trade of Podkolzin to the Oilers doesn't end up being just as bad.
Completely different scenario. We traded Forsling to Chicago before he’d even played an NHL game. The Hawks didn’t keep him either.
Podzolkin has a track record of three years now of not being an everyday NHL player. Could he end up being as strong player as Forsling? Sure anything is possible. But the odds are about as close to zero as possible. Nichuskin who is an example of a guy who did improve was already an everyday player at Podzolkin’s age and was impressive but just couldn’t put the puck in the net. And players like Nichushkin who explode later are extremely rare.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Praying the trade of Podkolzin to the Oilers doesn't end up being just as bad.

This is a pretty telling comment, TBH.

Completely different scenario. We traded Forsling to Chicago before he’d even played an NHL game. The Hawks didn’t keep him either.
Podzolkin has a track record of three years now of not being an everyday NHL player. Could he end up being as strong player as Forsling? Sure anything is possible. But the odds are about as close to zero as possible. Nichuskin who is an example of a guy who did improve was already an everyday player at Podzolkin’s age and was impressive but just couldn’t put the puck in the net. And players like Nichushkin who explode later are extremely rare.

Honestly, Podkolzin is more like Clendening than he is Forsling. I think he’s also farther removed from his draft day than Clendening was at the time, as well.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I can’t see him ever becoming a player as valuable as Forsling. The worst scenario for the Canucks would be he becomes the next Michael Grabner value wise. However, MG was at least able to produce at an AHL level before the trade.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I can’t see him ever becoming a player as valuable as Forsling. The worst scenario for the Canucks would be he becomes the next Michael Grabner value wise. However, MG was at least able to produce at an AHL level before the trade.
I don't disagree, but nobody was talking about Forsling having ANY value, never mind as a top pair defender, when he was a waiver claim in his D+7 season.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Podkolzin has a closer trajectory to a klim kostin than anything we need to worry about

The odds he has to beat to actually make this burn us are ridiculous and even then if he turns into a 10 to 15 goal guy it isn't worth losing sleep over

Reactions: wetcoast

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
My point about Forsling was not intended to be compared to Pods, but that the Canucks have tried trading way too many players (and picks) for quick fixes, particularly under Benning. And most of them didn't work. There are a ton of ex Canucks in the NHL that were never given the proper amount of time to develop.

I for one was very sorry to see Pods go, and really had hoped he would get one more shot at it. And as I said in his thread, I hope he doesn't come back to bite us in the butt. I think he is going to be a useful NHLer some day. But he has been given a fair number of chances.

Reactions: sting101

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@ChilliBilly The difference is that Podkolzin isn’t being traded as any sort of quick fix. He’s been in the organization for several seasons, has frustrated multiple coaches at different levels, and they’d rather take the draft pick now rather than a lesser deal or lose him on waivers.

Fantastic kid and a very hard worker. I think his personality and work ethic will let him carve out an NHL role. Maybe he even has a 20/20/40 season in him. With where this team was at, his roster spot and cap space was more valuable than him as a current player.

Reactions: quat and andora

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
@ChilliBilly The difference is that Podkolzin isn’t being traded as any sort of quick fix. He’s been in the organization for several seasons, has frustrated multiple coaches at different levels, and they’d rather take the draft pick now rather than a lesser deal or lose him on waivers.

Fantastic kid and a very hard worker. I think his personality and work ethic will let him carve out an NHL role. Maybe he even has a 20/20/40 season in him. With where this team was at, his roster spot and cap space was more valuable than him as a current player.
you do realize that was the point of my post. That Pods in no way resembled Clendening. Others somehow interpreted it that way, and I was just clarifying.

Edit - I meant Forsling, not Clendening. However it is still true either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast and Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad