GDT: The 2022 NHL Entry Draft Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He isnt going to fall outside of the top 10, probably will go in the top 5. The Jets wont be picking until 14-15 so there is no chance that happens.

They said the same thing about Conner and Perfetti and we got both. I know the chances are low of it happening but I can hope.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
They said the same thing about Conner and Perfetti and we got both. I know the chances are low of it happening but I can hope.
Perfetti was drafted at 10, he was projected to go somewhere between 5-10. Kyle Connor was projected to go somewhere between 10-15, he went at 15 and only fell because Boston had 3 of the picks between 10 and 15 and decided to go off the board with 2 of them. It is incredibly rare that a player projected to go in the middle of the top 10 drops to 15.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
that 10-15 range is pretty sweet actually... even in the garbage 2014 draft, Larkin, Tuch, Sanheim were all mid-teens...

A draft year like this with really defined top ten should mean some nice talent is still available wherever we pick - let's just hope our scouts are focused and we are past the Russian kick.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Anyone have any thoughts on Sam Rinzel with our pick from the Rangers either at the end of the 1st round or maybe the 2nd round?

1649392801588.png

It feels like he would be a reach at around 29 but the 2nd from the Blues would likely be too late to grab him.

Going to the University of Minnesota next year.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I see Chaz Lucius’s brother Cruz is in this draft. McKenzie has him ranked at #73. Worth a late-2nd round pick? Plays RW, so fits a need.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I see Chaz Lucius’s brother Cruz is in this draft. McKenzie has him ranked at #73. Worth a late-2nd round pick? Plays RW, so fits a need.
Hockey talent, of course, should be the determining factor when our selection comes along. All things being equal though, it would be fun to watch and follow a potential brother duo on our team.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Jets likely to draft 14th or 15th.

Players that will no doubt be gone:

Shane Wright
Logan Cooley
Simon Nemec
Jaraj Sfalkovsky
Matthew Savoie
Joakim Kemell

Of the remaining players *could be* available; this is what I'd like to see:

Brad Lambert (just fun, Nathan McKinnon light, all wheels, all game)

Frank Nazar (fun again, very shifty, east west, darts in and out, drives play, think Matt Barzal stylistically)

Danila Yurov (bigger frame, slick hands, heavy release, Kovalchuk light stylistically)

Jimmy Snugerrud (very interesting style of game, unbelievable release, nice hands, pass first type player, visually amongst the best on the USNPT team after Cooley / Nazar. Almost like a Elias Petterson shot release but plays like Dubois in open ice.

Conner Geekie - even though 6'5 he's more Joe Thornton (stylistically) than he is Crouse (for example). A bit of Jagr with the long toe drags, etc ... uses his reach for highlight reel plays

Denton Mataychuk - Fast, uber confident with puck, lots of risky plays, compares himself to Charlie McCovey but I see alot of Byfuglien in his game (without near the size)

Ivan Miroshnichenko - might be most talented player. Rips puck, fast, skilled, power ... almost a Terresenko type ... but the diagnosis puts some some questions

Gleb Trikozov - another very interesting style of game. Slippery with great vision. Slices through the neutral zone with purpose. Maybe highest hockey IQ in draft? Kucherov light? How to assess Russian Jr leagues is nearly impossible, but he's skyrocketing up everyone's lists and the YouTube 'game shifts' are impressive

I also would be OK if we get:

Lekkerimaki (Swede pure goal scorer)
Ohgren (Swede goal scorer, lots of wiggle and fun factor in his game)
Isaac Howard (fun, lots of skill, but I don't see much IQ)
David Goyette (again, fun to watch, skilled, etc)

2nd Round / Late 1st Round:

Lane Hutson - 5'8 D that just absolutely controls the entire game for the USNDT. He's the straw that stirs the drink. I've watched this team over a dozen times this year and he's always their best player. Cooley / Nazar / Howard / Snuggerud / Gauthier all massively benefit from this crazy skilled D-man. Maybe a Sam Girard type but more skill??

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Surprised this thread isn't getting more attention.

In my opinion, the NHL in general does a pretty dismal job of hyping prospects. The Jets are in the entertainment business. We want to believe there's some phenom out there that has some supernatural ability and *could* solve our problems.

The NFL / NBA are the absolute best at this. It sells tickets. You can't wait to see player XXX play in your line-up.

It HAS to start pre-draft. You have to know the players. You have to have the highs and lows of a particular prospect being selected / available when your pick arrives. Then, once drafted, the hype train needs to go on steroids. Jets should be talking alot more about Lucius and how he led the USNDT in scoring as a 17 year old. How Chibrikov was a top 5 scorer in the U18s. How Rashevski in doing to the KHL what Kaprizov did at the same age. How Perfetti's 111 pts in the OHL in 2019/2020 was 6th highest in CHL since 2010 (including Lafraniere, McDavid, Drouin, Marner, etc).

I'm shocked by how many pretty big hockey fans know basically nothing about our own (already drafted prospects) and have no idea who the top five prospects are in this upcoming draft.

In pro-sports, only TWO THINGS sell tickets: Being a true contender (rare) or selling the DREAM that your youth is exciting to watch (which will make you a contender in the future). Jets are selling neither right now, and it's all apathy in this town. People just don't talk Jets hockey anymore.

Even in collegiate sports, the biggest day of the year is when High School students commit. Again, selling a dream. The NFL / NBA drafts have higher ratings than any single game aside from the Superbowl. Again, selling the dream.

Jets are virtually eliminated from playoffs and 99% of season seat holders have have no idea on any prospect that *could be* available in their range. That's a big problem. No hype = no anticipation = apathy

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
NFL/NBA draft impact players right away. The NFL you could have players in every round play the following season. Its a 2 round draft for the NBA.

NHL is more similar to MLB. The players are mostly years away from having any impact. Joe Casual fan doesn't care about who is selected in the 2nd round of the draft, heck they probably don't care who is selected in the 1st round.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not that there is ever close consensus, but looking at multiple lists, there is a lot of variation in the top 15 or so.

I find myself thinking that at 13 (if we land there), I have my fingers crossed for a player like Geekie or Nazar to drop there. I'll probably be happy with a few players there, but for some reason I have those guys on the mind.

Edit:
Unless there is a D that could be more impactful. Elite prospects.com has Pickering, Korchinski, and Mintukov higher than I think anywhere. While there are all LHD, if they project to be more impactful that could be an option I guess.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Surprised this thread isn't getting more attention.

In my opinion, the NHL in general does a pretty dismal job of hyping prospects. The Jets are in the entertainment business. We want to believe there's some phenom out there that has some supernatural ability and *could* solve our problems.

The NFL / NBA are the absolute best at this. It sells tickets. You can't wait to see player XXX play in your line-up.

It HAS to start pre-draft. You have to know the players. You have to have the highs and lows of a particular prospect being selected / available when your pick arrives. Then, once drafted, the hype train needs to go on steroids. Jets should be talking alot more about Lucius and how he led the USNDT in scoring as a 17 year old. How Chibrikov was a top 5 scorer in the U18s. How Rashevski in doing to the KHL what Kaprizov did at the same age. How Perfetti's 111 pts in the OHL in 2019/2020 was 6th highest in CHL since 2010 (including Lafraniere, McDavid, Drouin, Marner, etc).

I'm shocked by how many pretty big hockey fans know basically nothing about our own (already drafted prospects) and have no idea who the top five prospects are in this upcoming draft.

In pro-sports, only TWO THINGS sell tickets: Being a true contender (rare) or selling the DREAM that your youth is exciting to watch (which will make you a contender in the future). Jets are selling neither right now, and it's all apathy in this town. People just don't talk Jets hockey anymore.

Even in collegiate sports, the biggest day of the year is when High School students commit. Again, selling a dream. The NFL / NBA drafts have higher ratings than any single game aside from the Superbowl. Again, selling the dream.

Jets are virtually eliminated from playoffs and 99% of season seat holders have have no idea on any prospect that *could be* available in their range. That's a big problem. No hype = no anticipation = apathy
I don’t disagree the only issue is there is allot of delayed gratification with Hockey prospects. Very few make an impact until years after they are drafted. NFL players are older and seem to have more immediate impact. I tend to agree this could be way better in the NHL outside of HFBoards where prospect worship is a religion.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I don’t disagree the only issue is there is allot of delayed gratification with Hockey prospects. Very few make an impact until years after they are drafted. NFL players are older and seem to have more immediate impact. I tend to agree this could be way better in the NHL outside of HFBoards where prospect worship is a religion.
But the wait makes it more exciting at times. Hearing about your own prospect ripping it up in Jr Leagues or at the World Juniors builds the hype. Again, it's about keeping it top of mind at all times (not just an update once per season).

Think of European football. They celebrate their 14 year old within the academy. The big clubs pump up their kids and their achievements. By the time they make their premiereship debuts, the general population is frothing at the mouth.

Even European hockey has this an an angle. They develop their own, sometimes giving them an opportunity with the big club for a game or two as a 17 year old - then back to the Div 2 team to develop ...

All to say, *the wait* can be equally as intreaguing if positioned correctly. Every game is filmed. It takes 10 secs to upload a gif. 'Chibrikov with an amazing goal today in VHL' by Jets official account. 'Chaz Lucius with sick move for Minnesota'. Keep the name relevant. Drip, drip, drip ... show the clips ... boom, fans can't wait to see these kids in Jets uniform. There's a *reason* to buy a ticket for a pre-season game: 'Ooohh, that Lucius will be in line-up tonight' ... but 90% of season seat holders don't even know who Chaz Lucius is.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Lastly, for most, games are much more intreaguing when you go to watch a team AND a player. Laine had that 'IT' factor. If Laine rips it bar down, fans fawn at the release (like it's a supernatural power). If Jansen Harkins scores exact same goal, it's just 'meh'.

This stuff is kind of easy - it just takes commitment to doing it. And, nope, a 30 second post draft interview about 'character' and 'scholasitc acheivements' and 'great family' doesn't build hype. It takes constant dripping of neat plays (whether it led to a goal or not) to create an idol. Think the Trevor Zegras effect.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
NFL/NBA draft impact players right away. The NFL you could have players in every round play the following season. Its a 2 round draft for the NBA.

NHL is more similar to MLB. The players are mostly years away from having any impact. Joe Casual fan doesn't care about who is selected in the 2nd round of the draft, heck they probably don't care who is selected in the 1st round.
Also, 99% of NFL draft prospects play in NCAA in USA. Makes it very easy to follow.

NHL prospects come from dozens of different leagues in Europe and North America. So it’s harder to get exposed to all the players.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Others may not feel this way due to geopolitics, but I wonder if the Jets’ recent influx of Russian scouting/prospects will have them take a look at both Miroschnichenko and Gleb Trikozov should we get the late 1st from NYR. Both are right-handed ~6’1 185lbs forwards.

Trikozov had 45p in 35 MHL games this season. Would likely want to see what he can do at the VHL level next, but nice to see him get into lots of games this year unlike other Russian prospects who only play a handful of games/very low minutes with the parent club.

Miroschnichenko is going to be a different story entirely. Many have his skills ranked quite high, but you mix in his illness with the Russian factor and he may not come to NA for 4-5 years post draft.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Others may not feel this way due to geopolitics, but I wonder if the Jets’ recent influx of Russian scouting/prospects will have them take a look at both Miroschnichenko and Gleb Trikozov should we get the late 1st from NYR. Both are right-handed ~6’1 185lbs forwards.

Trikozov had 45p in 35 MHL games this season. Would likely want to see what he can do at the VHL level next, but nice to see him get into lots of games this year unlike other Russian prospects who only play a handful of games/very low minutes with the parent club.

Miroschnichenko is going to be a different story entirely. Many have his skills ranked quite high, but you mix in his illness with the Russian factor and he may not come to NA for 4-5 years post draft.

I think Trikozov is very interesting. Visually noticeable every shift. I have no idea what NHL GM's are thinking when it comes to Russian talent these days. On one hand, current situation can make Russia impossible to deal with. On the other hand, their economy is collapsing (likely effect KHL salaries), teams have withdrawn from the KHL (Jokerit) so perhaps this could accelerate the arrival of Russian draft picks?

Miroshichenko is a fascinating prospect. Arguably, the best draft eligible player in Russia. Has filled the net at every level since he's been 13 years old - always leads the team in scoring. When he started off the season in a slump and wasn't selected for the World Junior team, red flags were raised. Of course, being diagnosed with non Hodgkins Leukemia pretty much solves the mystery. Not easy playing through blood cancer that causes chronic fatigue amongst many other side effects. On a positive note, Mario Lemieux had the exact same condition and came back stronger than ever 18 months later.

Danila Yurov will be the first Russian drafted and likely a top 10 pick. He's not *better* than Miroshichenko; however, the Leukemia diagnosis essentially ensures this is how it will go down.

If I had to compare the three players (stylistically only):

Miroshichenko: Fast, Power, Heavy Shot - Ovechkin-Lite'esque / Terresenko

Yurov: Fast, but more *silky*, a bit more Mogilny'ish in puck handling / Kovalchuk-lite (power with some east/west)

Trikozov - More slim and slippery, silky hands with the *new age* release on wrist shots - No great russian comparison, but perhaps a bit more like Sabastian Aho in Carolina

If I had to guess:

Yurov will be drafted in 7-12 range
Miroshichenko will be drafted in 15-32 range
Trikozov will be drafted in 18-40 range

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lots of big goalies this year - would like to see the Jets draft Zhigalov or Brennan somewhere...

Would love to see us trade up to get Connor Geekie - Pickering would be good too.

Otherwise, Nathan Gaucher looks like he'd be a good fit for the Jets in a couple years

Just need some size to play with Perfetti, etc

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
The American USNDTP are also fascinating to me.

Isaac Howard has consistently either flat out outperformed Logan Cooley and Frank Nazar or at least been very close yet is considered a 20ish pick while Cooley is going to be a top 3 and Nazar a likely top 10.

2020/2021 - USNDTP U17 Team:

Howard - 34GP - 27G, 27A - 54 pts - 1.59 pts/gm
Nazar - 45GP - 28G, 27A - 53 pts - 1.18 pts/gm
Cooley - 28GP - 16G, 16A - 32 pts - 1.14 pts/gm
McGroarty - 34GP - 17G, 18A - 35 pts - 1.03 pts/gm
Gauthier - 44GP - 20G, 17A - 37 pts - 0.84 pts/gm
Snuggerud - 45GP - 15G, 17A - 32 pts - 0.71 pts/gm

THIS SEASON

USNDTP U18

Cooley - 43 GP - 23G, 40A - 63 pts - 1.46 pts/gm
Howard - 52 GP - 25G, 44A - 69 pts - 1.33 pts/gm
McGroarty - 46 GP - 27G, 33A - 60 pts - 1.30 pts/gm
Nazar - 49 GP - 25G, 37A - 62 pts - 1.26 pts/gm
Gauthier - 46 GP - 31G, 22A - 53 pts - 1.15 pts/gm
Snuggerud - 51 GP - 20G, 36A - 56 pts - 1.10 pts/gm

Style of game:

Cooley - Kind of Mitch Marner-ish but plays Centre - only 5'10, but lots of speed and puck skill. Comes back full speed on back check too

Nazar - Matt Barzal'ish maybe? Nice hands, great skating, makes people miss, attacks all the time

Howard - Maybe a bit like Kyle Connor? Always attacking at top possible speed, darty, shifty, lots of breakaways ... but also very engaged physically

McGroarty - Maybe Sam Bennett'esque? Not the fastest, a bit gritty, but score alot, great offensive instincts

Gauthier - Power Forward that scores - Andrew Ladd'ish? Hard nosed, straight lines, battles

Snuggerud - Solid size, Sick release, can score from distance - some clever passes, nice hands when he wants to ... almost like Jamie Benn 10 years ago

If I had to rank them:

Cooley (2-4)
Nazar (7-13)
Howard (10-25)
McGroarty (15-32)
Snuggerud (15-32)
Gauthier (15-32)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Great info in your last few posts @jimsabo21, really appreciated!

What are your thoughts on why scouts have Howard lower than Nazar considering the offensive numbers? Things in his game maybe not transitioning as well? I've seen Gauthier higher than them as well in some rankings.

Random question - The Rangers make it to the 3rd round and the Jets have a pick near the end of the 1st. Both Miroshichenko and Howard are there. Who are you taking and why? :)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Lots of great conversation in this thread.

My dream would be Geekie or maybe Lambert with our pick, and, since this a dream scenario, I will use some creative liberty to afford us (note: “us” being the Winnipeg Jets) a second 1st round pick as a result of the Rangers being swept in the ECF, and use it to select Miroshichenko.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Howard isn't as skillful as Connor but he has a lot of good tools. He has good speed and he gets into good positions. I wouldn't call him dynamic and that is why he is ranked behind some of those other guys. He will be a pretty good NHL player some day.

McGroarty is fairly similar except he is a bull out there. Lots of offense from him but his skating isn't pretty. I like both of them in the mid to late 1st though

Cooley and then Nazar have that NHL speed where they can pull from people and play at a high level. It probably why you see them ranked higher.

Gauthier is rising in the draft. Big power forward who can score. So is Snuggerud who is another big good skating shooter.

All 3 of those guys, Nazar,Gauthier and Howard would be in our range. So would the 2 USNTDP Right D Ryan Chesley and Seamus Casey. Both of those guys are kind of polarizing as well for different reasons

I want to throw a name out there, Marco Kasper. Think he might be name to watch.

For some of the WHL guys outside those Winnipeg Ice kids. I really like Kevin Korchinski. Had to chance to watch a couple of games recently and he really stood out. I think he has all the tools and numbers we like to see for me out of the group of WHL D men that include Him,Lindgren,Mateychuk and Pickering. I think he moves up by the end of year rankings and we see him around our 1st pick range

One guy I like too the more I see of him is Jagger Firkus. He doesn't get much love likely because of his slight size but dare I say he is Brayden Point-esque?

Want to also mention Rieger Lorenz who plays in the AJHL for Okotoks and is going to Denver next season. One of my scout friends really likes him and thinks he would be a sneaky good pick in the 2nd round. Good sized skating center who plays with jam and has nice soft hands

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
But the wait makes it more exciting at times. Hearing about your own prospect ripping it up in Jr Leagues or at the World Juniors builds the hype. Again, it's about keeping it top of mind at all times (not just an update once per season).

Think of European football. They celebrate their 14 year old within the academy. The big clubs pump up their kids and their achievements. By the time they make their premiereship debuts, the general population is frothing at the mouth.

Even European hockey has this an an angle. They develop their own, sometimes giving them an opportunity with the big club for a game or two as a 17 year old - then back to the Div 2 team to develop ...

All to say, *the wait* can be equally as intreaguing if positioned correctly. Every game is filmed. It takes 10 secs to upload a gif. 'Chibrikov with an amazing goal today in VHL' by Jets official account. 'Chaz Lucius with sick move for Minnesota'. Keep the name relevant. Drip, drip, drip ... show the clips ... boom, fans can't wait to see these kids in Jets uniform. There's a *reason* to buy a ticket for a pre-season game: 'Ooohh, that Lucius will be in line-up tonight' ... but 90% of season seat holders don't even know who Chaz Lucius is.
Yea you don’t have to sell me I have always really loved the prospect aspect of it and am surprised most non HFBoards fans in Winnipeg are totally ignorant when it comes to prospects.

Wondering if Jiricek might fall out of the top 10 due to his injury this season?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jets likely to draft 14th or 15th.

Players that will no doubt be gone:

Shane Wright
Logan Cooley
Simon Nemec
Jaraj Sfalkovsky
Matthew Savoie
Joakim Kemell

Of the remaining players *could be* available; this is what I'd like to see:

Brad Lambert (just fun, Nathan McKinnon light, all wheels, all game)

Frank Nazar (fun again, very shifty, east west, darts in and out, drives play, think Matt Barzal stylistically)

Danila Yurov (bigger frame, slick hands, heavy release, Kovalchuk light stylistically)

Jimmy Snugerrud (very interesting style of game, unbelievable release, nice hands, pass first type player, visually amongst the best on the USNPT team after Cooley / Nazar. Almost like a Elias Petterson shot release but plays like Dubois in open ice.

Conner Geekie - even though 6'5 he's more Joe Thornton (stylistically) than he is Crouse (for example). A bit of Jagr with the long toe drags, etc ... uses his reach for highlight reel plays

Denton Mataychuk - Fast, uber confident with puck, lots of risky plays, compares himself to Charlie McCovey but I see alot of Byfuglien in his game (without near the size)

Ivan Miroshnichenko - might be most talented player. Rips puck, fast, skilled, power ... almost a Terresenko type ... but the diagnosis puts some some questions

Gleb Trikozov - another very interesting style of game. Slippery with great vision. Slices through the neutral zone with purpose. Maybe highest hockey IQ in draft? Kucherov light? How to assess Russian Jr leagues is nearly impossible, but he's skyrocketing up everyone's lists and the YouTube 'game shifts' are impressive

I also would be OK if we get:

Lekkerimaki (Swede pure goal scorer)
Ohgren (Swede goal scorer, lots of wiggle and fun factor in his game)
Isaac Howard (fun, lots of skill, but I don't see much IQ)
David Goyette (again, fun to watch, skilled, etc)

2nd Round / Late 1st Round:

Lane Hutson - 5'8 D that just absolutely controls the entire game for the USNDT. He's the straw that stirs the drink. I've watched this team over a dozen times this year and he's always their best player. Cooley / Nazar / Howard / Snuggerud / Gauthier all massively benefit from this crazy skilled D-man. Maybe a Sam Girard type but more skill??
My worry with Geekie is he may be a bit of Dylan Strome. Maybe I undersell his skating but it ALWAYS worries me when there are comments about good for his size plus large centres often dominate in junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad