Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The point I was trying to make was, is Harkins or Berdin worth wasting a 1st on to protect? To me the answer is no.
My memory is questionable on the best of days and trying to remember the ins and outs of an expansion draft 3 years ago is really asking to much of my waning memory. I do remember how pissed people were and the outright disdain of Chevy to maneuver the way he did to simply lose those players anyways. Whether I got the facts exactly right are moot to me and I would hope people would just see the point I am trying to make. Sorry if I pissed people off in the process, you should see what my wife puts up with...
Staying on topic and maybe I missed some of the discussion but why do people think Chevy would use a 1st to protect Harkins or Berdin? I think Chevy would be very happy with only one of those loses.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Speaking of premature - We don't even know that Samberg is going to make the NHL yet and you are putting him on the first pair.

Who said Heinola can't be better than JMo? Contract? Chevy is the contract guy and he is saying he wants to see Heinola play.

I don't see upgrading on Poolman as a priority, much less a necessity. Just get him on the 3rd pair where he belongs. But 3rd pair is not where our problem lies. I'm satisfied with Stanley - Poolman - if Mau would just play them together.

Pionk may be closer to a 1st pair d than Morrissey is, or not. Morrissey is the one playing 1st pair and he is doing it stapled to Poolman. I don't care which one has bragging rights. If we bring in a top pair LHD good enough to push Morrissey down, great. Pair him with Pionk and see if Pionk really is a 1st pair guy.

Or bring in a brand new top pair and play Morrissey - Pionk as our 2nd pair. Fine.

But it is the top pair that needs fixing. Neither Heinola nor Samberg have yet shown they can play in the top 4, much less the top 2. Fix the top pair and the other 2 pairs take care of themselves with what we have.

Just get competent partners for both Pionk and Morrissey and things will quickly turn around. I think people underestimate the impact a partner has on the ice. Pionk looked great when Forbert was playing above his head the first half of the year but his metrics have been falling like a stone since Forbert's game went in the shitter and he has spent way more time running Ning around in his end as a result.

Morrissey also has rebounded the last three weeks to a month and is playing real good allaround hockey. If you get him a good partner with the way he's playing I think we have solved out top pairing issue.

I dont think we need a superstar on d with our forwards we just need 4 good top 4 guys.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just get competent partners for both Pionk and Morrissey and things will quickly turn around. I think people underestimate the impact a partner has on the ice. Pionk looked great when Forbert was playing above his head the first half of the year but his metrics have been falling like a stone since Forbert's game went in the shitter and he has spent way more time running Ning around in his end as a result.

Morrissey also has rebounded the last three weeks to a month and is playing real good allaround hockey. If you get him a good partner with the way he's playing I think we have solved out top pairing issue.

I dont think we need a superstar on d with our forwards we just need 4 good top 4 guys.

Yeah this is what I'm trying to get at too. Both Pionk and Morrissey need partners on their level or close to it to maximize their playstyles. Pionk obviously likes to play a bit looser and jump into the play so finding him a stable shutdown partner who likes to hang back, has a good first pass and can support Pionk when needed will likely result in success, if they have size and can play physical that's an added bonus. We probably already have that in house with Samberg and Stanley. I really don't think we need to expend assets to get this player, although Ekholm would have been really nice. But it will take time for us to develop Samberg or Stanley into the perfect partner for Pionk.

Morrissey is kind of the opposite. Give him a good puck carrier who can weave through traffic and create and he will likely benefit. Again big bonus if they have size and can play somewhat physical (yeah I know that's a big ask). Someone Josh can play catch with and help spring up ice for chances with our forwards. We may already have that in house with Heinola as well but whether he sticks at RD or moves over to the left side is uncertain. The downside is that pairing of MoJo-Heinola is rather small and could get eaten up with heavier forechecks if they have even a slightly off game. This is why Buff was so perfect as he was the hybrid of offensive IQ, size and physicality. Adversely if you find Josh a good shutdown partner then you can roll him out as a pure shutdown pair (like we did with MoJo-Trouba).
Hamilton seems like a prime candidate to go after for this very reason.

Morrissey - Hamilton
Stanley/Samberg - Pionk
Stanley/Samberg - Heinola

I just don't think we have much of a chance of signing that big of a FA. Though from what I'm hearing there is a gap in talks. But that probably means that Dougies ask is big and it's going to cost a lot to sign him in FA.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Well said. One is on the taxi squad.

Who is the other.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We don't need a superstar to play with JMo, but one would be nice. :D
We do need a legit 1st pairing guy though. Not a #3 stretching himself to play there.

I still think DeMelo should be with Morrissey. He is not a top pairing guy but he is a lot closer to it than Poolman is, and I like Poolman.

Agree though that competent partners for JMo and Pionk are what we need.

Unfortunately, I don't see Heinola as an ideal partner for either of them. Samberg might be a good partner for Pionk but I am not too optimistic. His performance this year has been disappointing and he is at an age where he should be doing much better if he is ever going to be a top 4 player. I'm not ready to write him off yet. He still could come into TC next year as a much better player. But I'm not holding my breath either.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We do need a legit 1st pairing guy though. Not a #3 stretching himself to play there.

I still think DeMelo should be with Morrissey. He is not a top pairing guy but he is a lot closer to it than Poolman is, and I like Poolman.

Unfortunately, I don't see Heinola as an ideal partner for either of them. Samberg might be a good partner for Pionk but I am not too optimistic. His performance this year has been disappointing and he is at an age where he should be doing much better if he is ever going to be a top 4 player. I'm not ready to write him off yet. He still could come into TC next year as a much better player. But I'm not holding my breath either.
So if Heinola is not an ideal partner for either what do we do with him is the question. After all Pionk and Mo are on 1 and 2 nd pairing, is it a waste to run Heinola on 3rd pairing? How do you see it all unfold?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I dont see why Heinola can't play with either and have success. He is a smart player with good puck moving. I think him and Morrissey would be good if Heinola can play RD.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I dont see why Heinola can't play with either and have success. He is a smart player with good puck moving. I think him and Morrissey would be good if Heinola can play RD.

I think the biggest risk there is they could get crushed by a good forecheck. Especially if both aren't on their A game, heck even 1 of them off their games in the playoffs when physicality ramps up could see them get caved in.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So if Heinola is not an ideal partner for either what do we do with him is the question. After all Pionk and Mo are on 1 and 2 nd pairing, is it a waste to run Heinola on 3rd pairing? How do you see it all unfold?

I think having Heinola on a 3rd pairing is a pretty good luxury to have until he starts demanding more time. Eventually he overtakes Pionk as the guy in the #2 spot and we use our first pairing to free up matchups for him. Pairings 2 and 3 could basically be seen as pairing 2A and pairing 2B. Heinola could also replace Josh on PP1 as he has more offensive instincts.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Draft thread guys not a player discussion thread

We get carried away sometimes. :laugh:

So here's a few kids I have my eye on for RH defencemen in the draft.

Scott Morrow
6'2 - 192
A big mobile all situations kid playing for Shattuck's U18 prep team and committed to NoDak for next season. Morrow has solid mobility and hands which allows him to weave through traffic and helps him create a lot of space when operating out of his own zone. He has a good stretch pass and actively looks to spring is teammates up ice but sometimes he gets a little to antsy to move it and creates turnovers as a result. A very prototypical two-way defender with some size and ability to manuever in traffic. Plays a pretty safe game in his own zone without to much troubles, although he can sometimes overskate himself into it. Will likely be a bit of a longer term 3-5 year project before he's ready for NHL duty but if he pans out could be a very solid 2-6. Reaching his absolute potential is unlikely but the tools are there if he can improve even more on his mobility and decision making. Seems like someone in the Jets typical wheelhouse to pick. Ranked anywhere from the mid 1st to late 2nd.

Corson Ceulemans
6'2 - 196
The U. of Wisconsin commit has turned a lot of heads with his limited play in Brooks this year and will get a chance to showcase his stuff on the international stage at the U18's soon. A top flight offensive defencemen who has great skating, poise and hands coupled with a high offensive IQ. Is both a good shooter and playmaker, can make a great first pass and is more than capable of taking the puck up ice himself and always looking to jump into the play. Although he's on the bigger side he's not overly physical. He's decent in his own zone with his reads but sometimes over commits or makes the wrong reads on oddman rushes. But with his great anticipation and puck moving abilities if he catches rushing players offguard then he can quickly transition the puck the other way. Has solid 2-4 potential as an offensive minded D who can effecitvely QB a PP. Ranked anywhere from the mid 1st to the late 1st round.

Oscar Plandowski
6'0 - 190
If we are looking for a great partner for Morrissey then this kid is probably it, he's basically a RH clone of MoJo. Plays a strong defensive game with some offensive chops, isn't afraid to get physical and can handle all situations minutes. Will join the rush when he see's the opportunity but prefers to hang back and control the game from the edges. Has a great first pass and makes solid reads at both ends of the ice. Not sure what else to say other than watch some film of Morrissey at the same age, the two of them play a pretty damn similar game. Has 3-6 potential all situations kind of kid. Probably won't QB a #1 PP at the NHL level but could be a big minute muncher like Morrissey. He's ranked anywhere from the mid 2nd to the late 3rd. So picking him up with a 2nd or 3rd round pick is definitely a possibility.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I've been wondering about that myself. First year is easy enough. Play him on the 3rd pair. But after that? IDK. If we are lucky he hits his ceiling and pushes JMo down to 2nd pair. He plays with the new guy we get for Copp. :laugh:

Morrissey and Pionk don't look like ideal partners either but they were good in the brief time they played together. Maybe they make a 2nd pair that doesn't have a big guy on one side.

If we try to balance each of the smaller, skilled Dmen with a bigger, more defensive Dman then one of the 3 has to play 3rd pair. The math is simple - and absolute.

Maybe one of them goes in a trade. Not my first choice, but as long as we get value, it doesn't really matter.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

True, it is not written in stone that every pair must have 1 big guy and 1 smaller one. The question is if we insist on doing it that way, how does it work?

I would be more inclined to play Heinola with Pionk and keep everybody on their natural sides. But if the other works, sure.

I would also like to see Morrissey and Pionk together. They got a very short stretch of that to start last year, might even have been pre-season. I don't recall for certain. But I do remember that they seemed to play very well together.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I really hope we keep our pick. This is the kind of draft where a late pick might turn out to be a fantastic player. I'd hate to give away the potential to snag another Ehlers like player with our pick.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I really hope we keep our pick. This is the kind of draft where a late pick might turn out to be a fantastic player. I'd hate to give away the potential to snag another Ehlers like player with our pick.

It could also be a dud. Most guys outside of the top 10-14 or so drop off significantly. If many of them were in the 2015 draft they'd be mid to late 2nd rounders at best. I'm not overly optimistic about this draft. You know a draft is weak when 2 goalies are pretty likely to go in the top 15.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It could also be a dud. Most guys outside of the top 10-14 or so drop of significantly. If many of them were in the 2015 draft they'd be mid to late 2nd rounders at best. I'm not overly optimistic about this draft. You know a draft is weak when 2 goalies are pretty likely to go in the top 15.
I read somewhere that this draft is 2012-levels of suckage, and even a guy like Owen Power wouldn’t be a top 5 pick in some drafts. In that environment I’d be on-board with packaging our 1st up to find that long-term solution at RHD.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I read somewhere that this draft is 2012-levels of suckage, and even a guy like Owen Power wouldn’t be a top 5 pick in some drafts. In that environment I’d be on-board with packaging our 1st up to find that long-term solution at RHD.

Yeah I mean there's guys like Power, Hughes, Eklund, Clarke, Beniers, Edvinsson, Guenther and Johnson that will all likely be useful players. There is just no real elite talent in the draft. I don't see anyone that scream surefire top line winger, 1C or 1D. They all have question marks and as you move down the draft the players just end up with more and more question marks as you go. I'm generally very high on how we develop players but this draft will be a crapshoot as to who fixes the most question marks in their game. It's why I think it could be very open ended to who becomes the best player in this draft. Could be the 1st pick, could be the 15th pick, could be some kid taken in the middle of the 2nd round. A lot of these kids lost a solid year of development as well so they will need even more time than I think is usual to get back on track.

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It could also be a dud. Most guys outside of the top 10-14 or so drop off significantly. If many of them were in the 2015 draft they'd be mid to late 2nd rounders at best. I'm not overly optimistic about this draft. You know a draft is weak when 2 goalies are pretty likely to go in the top 15.
Been hearing that 3rd rounders in 2022 are worth more than 2nd rounders this year... plus many of them are a year behind now - unless we've got a target, I'm fine with trading our first

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Some interesting info about some of the top players highest and lowest rankings I've seen.

Owen Power - High: 1, Low: 6
Brandt Clarke: High: 1, Low: 10
Luke Hughes: High: 1, Low: 11
Simon Edvinsson: High: 1, Low: 12
Matthew Beniers: High:1 , Low: 15
William Eklund: High: 1, Low: 17
Kent Johnson: High: 2, Low: 12
Dylan Guenther: High: 2, Low: 14
Carson Lambos: High: 2, Low: 25
Jesper Wallstedt: High: 2, Low: 32
Aatu Raty: High: 5, Low: 32
Fabian Lysell: High: 5, Low: 26
Sebastian Cossa: High: 7, Low: Late 4th
Cole Sillinger: High: 8, Low: 20
Corson Ceulemans: High: 8, Low: 40

This draft is just all over the place and as we close in on the end of most of these kids seasons no one has even come close to emerging as a surefire top 5 pick let alone #1.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Been hearing that 3rd rounders in 2022 are worth more than 2nd rounders this year... plus many of them are a year behind now - unless we've got a target, I'm fine with trading our first

Yeah 2022 looks deep and 2023 looks even deeper. Still a ways out but both drafts will likely be more fruitful in both high end talent and depth than this one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some interesting info about some of the top players highest and lowest rankings I've seen.

Owen Power - High: 1, Low: 6
Brandt Clarke: High: 1, Low: 10
Luke Hughes: High: 1, Low: 11
Simon Edvinsson: High: 1, Low: 12
Matthew Beniers: High:1 , Low: 15
William Eklund: High: 1, Low: 17
Kent Johnson: High: 2, Low: 12
Dylan Guenther: High: 2, Low: 14
Carson Lambos: High: 2, Low: 25
Jesper Wallstedt: High: 2, Low: 32
Aatu Raty: High: 5, Low: 32
Fabian Lysell: High: 5, Low: 26
Sebastian Cossa: High: 7, Low: Late 4th
Cole Sillinger: High: 8, Low: 20
Corson Ceulemans: High: 8, Low: 40

This draft is just all over the place and as we close in on the end of most of these kids seasons no one has even come close to emerging as a surefire top 5 pick let alone #1.

Those low numbers are crazy. As I mentioned before this draft is missing a top 3.

I really want us to keep our first round pick though because if we have an early exit from the playoffs the 15 to 22 slot could be fruitful.........or not :laugh:

Weirdest draft ever that I can remember.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad