Prospect Info: The 2016 Draft Thread [Draft Lottery April 30th]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well my first post in this thread. I really didnt think we would be picking bottom 5 this year, but this team proves me wrong.

There is some elite talent in the top5 though. I know we dont need to get younger but dam on of the 2 finns on the wing would be pretty handy.

here is sneak-peek to next year: we're picking top-5 again

i'm serious as well.... there is not way that chia can make enough moves to get us out of the basement next season

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm in agreement with you in a lot of ways. I think it is ignorant how people talk about BPA all the time. There never really is a BPA outside of the top 10. Need, and risk assessment has to be taken into account as you say. Many teams actually discount certain prospects completely. I have first hand account of this from talking to some scouts. The biggest one being goaltenders. There are teams/scouts that don't even rank goalies if they don't fit the size requirement.

There really isn't an exact science in all of this. Its all about risk assessment or projection. Think of any ten player segment of the draft, especially outside of the top 10. Have any 10 people rank those players. Thats scouting in a nutshell. Some will rank them based on potential. Some will rank them based on risk. Some will rank them based on a size/skill combo. Some will rank them based on need. etc, etc, etc..... Fact is you must come to some consensus, but then remain flexible on your board. The Oilers biggest need going into this draft when looking at their prospect pool is at the forward position, and really it is everything about it. They currently don't have a single forward in the minors that I would consider a slam dunk NHLer. If the Oilers happen to draft Chychrun with their first pick, I would drop pretty much every defender off my board at that point, unless one falls drastically. With Paygin, Bear, Jones, Reinhart, Klefbom, Nurse and Chychrun, the Oilers would have a deep defensive prospect pool. They would need to focus on their weak forward group. They also need to find a goaltender. Brossoit will likely graduate next year leaving Laurikainen as the only goalie in the system.

Good post. I agree. Definitely need to find some decent forward prospects and a goalie or two this year.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm not calling this the Auston Matthews lottery.. i'm calling it the OEL lottery.

Play like hell for OEL :)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No way I would trade it for Subban. He's vastly overrated.

We would be stupid not to. Subban alone turns our PP into a top 10 at the very least and we could stick him out there for half the game. Whether you think he's overrated or not, he's still a #1 defenseman and just entering his prime.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm not calling this the Auston Matthews lottery.. i'm calling it the OEL lottery.

Play like hell for OEL :)

Domi, Duclair, Strome, Samuelsson, Reider up front
but ARI will trade its face of franchise and only good Dman for Matthews because he is from Arizona.

yup..

There hasnt been a single ARI fan who would trade OEL for Matthews yet every Oilers fan on the main boards is trying to shove that swap down their throat.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
here is sneak-peek to next year: we're picking top-5 again

i'm serious as well.... there is not way that chia can make enough moves to get us out of the basement next season

Totally depends if this team can stay healthy or not.

If we lead the league in man games lost to injury again, then for sure we're bottom 5.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I see us picking 3-5. I said for the longest time it would be 5-8, but once again I need to lower my expectations of this sad-sack team :laugh:

I think we finish ahead of the Leafs and Columbus, maybe even the Jets or Flames.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ryan Merkley would be a great pick up, right shot D....in the process of establishing himself as a leader and championship caliber defender.

Unfortunately he is 15.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ryan Merkley would be a great pick up, right shot D....in the process of establishing himself as a leader and championship caliber defender.

Unfortunately he is 15.

He's from Mississauga. According to Toronto fans, he'll spend the entirety of his pro career pining to play for the Leafs. :laugh:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It's games like the one tonight that makes me think we aren't set on the wings at all. Hall forces so many plays that aren't there, I'm beginning to think his hockey IQ is barely above Yakupov's. The reason I bring it up is because I kind of want to draft both of the Finns. If we pick 2nd and take Laine, I'd see who is in the 3 spot and how much they'd be willing to add to the pick for Hall, or if the deal could be expanded to include a D man.

What if it were Buffalo @3? Murray is always looking to improve immediately. Hall + ? for 3rd overall + Bogosian.

Imagine Laine-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's games like the one tonight that makes me think we aren't set on the wings at all. Hall forces so many plays that aren't there, I'm beginning to think his hockey IQ is barely above Yakupov's. The reason I bring it up is because I kind of want to draft both of the Finns. If we pick 2nd and take Laine, I'd see who is in the 3 spot and how much they'd be willing to add to the pick for Hall, or if the deal could be expanded to include a D man.

What if it were Buffalo @3? Murray is always looking to improve immediately. Hall + ? for 3rd overall + Bogosian.

I just don't think Puljujarvi is that good. Hall has his issues, but he is still one of the most talented players in the NHL period. It's a minor miracle he hasn't completely lost his mind here, I think most star players would have asked for a trade out already.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Puljujärvi is overrated. He is not going to be as good as Hall IMO.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
who do we pick at number 4? hopefully we trade the pick if we end up there but if we do pick, I don't want the overrated Tkachuk (from reports) a lot of secondary assists..

Chychrun? if we was right-handed it'd be a no-brainer for me
Nylander? meh
Juolevi? intriguing...

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Sorry i have to troll here, Edm should not be picking in the top ten regardless of how bad your team currently is. I don't blame the fans, geez you have been suffering but to get as many first overall and top ten picks you have had in the last 9 years is not a good business model for any sports league. If your owner cannot put together a competent managerial staff and ice a decent product then too bad. Its like you get rewarded for running a dysfunctional franchise over and over again and there needs to be a rule against it. I get that the leafs have had their share of bad managers but we have never gotten the opportunity to have access those type of picks year after year and still ice an abomination of a team. We have basically an AHL reject team team being iced night in and night out and we still can't seem to catch the futility that is the Oilers.

If the hockey gods have any sense of justice Edm will fall to 4 or 5 overall.

Rant over and flame shield on!!

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sorry i have to troll here, Edm should not be picking in the top ten regardless of how bad your team currently is. I don't blame the fans, geez you have been suffering but to get as many first overall and top ten picks you have had in the last 9 years is not a good business model for any sports league. If your owner cannot put together a competent managerial staff and ice a decent product then too bad. Its like you get rewarded for running a dysfunctional franchise over and over again and there needs to be a rule against it. I get that the leafs have had their share of bad managers but we have never gotten the opportunity to have access those type of picks year after year and still ice an abomination of a team. We have basically an AHL reject team team being iced night in and night out and we still can't seem to catch the futility that is the Oilers.

Don't worry, we'll finish ahead of you.

What might upset you is how ridiculous the draft lottery is.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Don't worry, we'll finish ahead of you.

What might upset you is how ridiculous the draft lottery is.

i actually don't think we will finish ahead of toronto.... this team has completely, and utterly, given up.... i would be surprised if we win more than another 5-6 games for the rest of the year.... we'll finish DFL, i have no doubts

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
who do we pick at number 4? hopefully we trade the pick if we end up there but if we do pick, I don't want the overrated Tkachuk (from reports) a lot of secondary assists..

Chychrun? if we was right-handed it'd be a no-brainer for me
Nylander? meh
Juolevi? intriguing...

Personally I like Dubois and Sergachyov a lot, but if we do pick at #4 I feel fairly certain that Chychrun will be the pick. He is still extremely highly regarded in OHL circles and I would have to think he is a typical Chiarelli player. Big and strong, great skater and a leader. Not having the best year but still has #1D potential. If he becomes the player scouts think he can be then that is a guy you build around and win championships with. I like Sergachyov better but I wouldn't be disappointed if Chychrun was the pick. Juolevi is great too and while he might be as safe of a bet to become a top4 NHL d-man as anyone, I think his ceiling is lower compared to the other two.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

I am all over Laine + Juolevi.

Or at least Fabbro in the range of selections 10-15 I imagine.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Didn't your parents teach you that life's not fair?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Edmonton won't be picking in the top 10. We will trade 1st overall to Arizona

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton won't be picking in the top 10. We will trade 1st overall to Arizona

If they get the 1st overall, I hope Ryan Nugent Hopkins likes Columbus, Ohio or Long Island, New York. I'll just put it that way.

Matthews goes nowhere. Not only is he likely a better talent than anyone on the roster aside from McDavid, he's a *big* kid, 6 foot 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad