Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Unless Ray trades the pick..... :sarcasm:

Honestly doubt he does. I think he will follow what Lou said and only trade it if something big falls in his lap like Cory.

He seems to have an idea on who he likes but he said he is going to meet conte and crew soon to get their input.

Ray has been following the worlds closely so would not be shocked if both Barzal and Zacha are high on his own personal lists.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can't wait till we pick a defenseman and people REALLY **** their hats...at least we won't be able to blame Lou anymore, unless the meme becomes he's running a puppet factory :sarcasm:

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
The proposition was acquiring ROR w/o touching the #6. If that is possible, I'd be all over it. Too bad Merrill and the 2016 1st (protected) would be involved.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't wait till we pick a defenseman and people REALLY **** their hats...at least we won't be able to blame Lou anymore, unless the meme becomes he's running a puppet factory :sarcasm:

And it would be silly because the two potential dmen we could take project to be studs and makes it much easier to trade other guys away for forwards.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well I'd think a trade of one of the d-men would be more likely under Shero than Lou 'when you have time on your side you use it'.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I'll be mighty upset if we go d-man at that spot.

And it would be silly because the two potential dmen we could take project to be studs and makes it much easier to trade other guys away for forwards.
So now it's 2 d-men who, if there, you have to pick?

I find the idea of adding another d-man to the mix completely ridiculous. If they are there, and so highly thought of, I trade the pick. Surely some team will offer a gold mine.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You wouldn't pay him? Seems like one of the few players out there worth money.

Though I do agree and would prefer to just draft our own young talented center man with this pick.

He's topped 20 goals once. He's been over 55 points once.

Good player for sure, but a guy you want to first give up assets for and then break the bank on? I'd rather not.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
ROR is a good player, but I think he's a bit overvalued. We'd have to give up way too much.

Agreed - does anyone really think ROR is a 1st line offensive center? He's going to want more than 6.5 million per year long term and for what? We already have a 2nd line defensive center making 5.75 million and putting up under 40 points per year....

NO THANK YOU.....

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agreed - does anyone really think ROR is a 1st line offensive center? He's going to want more than 6.5 million per year long term and for what? We already have a 2nd line defensive center making 5.75 million and putting up under 40 points per year....

NO THANK YOU.....

Well ROR has put up 55+, including a 60+ in all of the last 3 full NHL seasons.

So unless we expect a Zajac like drop in production I don't like the comparison.

I'd be OK signing him to a big deal, he's good, he's young, he's a C, but giving up high end assets to boot? That's where I'm drawing the line.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I find the idea of adding another d-man to the mix completely ridiculous. If they are there, and so highly thought of, I trade the pick. Surely some team will offer a gold mine.

To some Devils fans, defensemen are like Pokémon - gotta collect 'em all!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Either Hanfin or Ivan would be tough to pass. You can still go forward safely, but we don't know what our draft boards look like, or what Shero thinks either (since his opinions could differ from Conte and crew).

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If Shero and Conte go Dman everyone will be on Shero's ass because thats what he did in Pitt and the poor guy will be roasted before he gets to even start.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If Marner is off the board and Provorov or Hanifin are still there, you almost have to either trade down to 8th if CBj makes a compelling offer or simply draft one of them.

Though, if Conte and his minions strongly feel that Barzal or Zacha will be superstars you go with your gut feel.

I'd like to see the Devils "war room" and watch them debate this stuff.
It may even lesson my criticism of Conte somewhat.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If Marner is off the board and Provorov or Hanifin are still there, you almost have to either trade down to 8th if CBj makes a compelling offer or simply draft one of them.

I think San Jose makes the most attractive trade partner. If you're enabling somebody to get Hanifin/Provorov, you might want it to be an out of conference opponent. San Jose's head amateur scout Tim Burke is based out of Boston, so it's not unusual to see them take guys from that area. If Hanifin was still there, I'd imagine San Jose would be all over it since that's the (potential) type of defenseman that they've lacked the last 10 years.

Moving down to 9, there's a likely chance that one of Barzal/Zacha is there. Best case, both are still there.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think San Jose makes the most attractive trade partner. If you're enabling somebody to get Hanifin/Provorov, you might want it to be an out of conference opponent. San Jose's head amateur scout Tim Burke is based out of Boston, so it's not unusual to see them take guys from that area. If Hanifin was still there, I'd imagine San Jose would be all over it since that's the (potential) type of defenseman that they've lacked the last 10 years.

Moving down to 9, there's a likely chance that one of Barzal/Zacha is there. Best case, both are still there.

I would guess that you will still get Barzal, Zacha or Rantanen at 9.

If Hanifin is there i believe Provorov goes after him to the Flyers. Columbus u have no idea at that point either one of those forwards or Werenski still leaves us with 2 good options at the 9 spot.

It really depends on how they have those 3 guys ranked if they want Barzal badly you take him at 6. If they really believe Zacha or Rantanen will be better then you move down because of the 3 Barzel is likely to go first i believe.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

If Hanifin is there i believe Provorov goes after him to the Flyers. Columbus u have no idea at that point either one of those forwards or Werenski still leaves us with 2 good options at the 9 spot.

It really depends on how they have those 3 guys ranked if they want Barzal badly you take him at 6. If they really believe Zacha or Rantanen will be better then you move down because of the 3 Barzel is likely to go first i believe.

Well you would only trade back with Columbus if you know or have a good faith idea they plan to go defense for Ivan (the one most likely to still be there).

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Is Nieto and their 9th for our 6th good for both teams?

Or would you rather see us get their 2nd rounder?

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006

You only trade back a handful of places if you don't know who you like best. If you know, you pick him at 6 even if he might go 15th. With scouts being professionals they tend to have strong opinions, however with scouting being a collaborative process there is a possibility of overall uncertainty. Only then would you be testing the water to see what could come back.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
You only trade back a handful of places if you don't know who you like best. If you know, you pick him at 6 even if he might go 15th. With scouts being professionals they tend to have strong opinions, however with scouting being a collaborative process there is a possibility of overall uncertainty. Only then would you be testing the water to see what could come back.

Well that pretty much the case. If you think the differences between the 3 arent that large and ur ok with any of them then you try and add assests to the team

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ya it only makes some sense if you view two or three guys that should still be there equally.

If the team has their hearts set on one guy it is safer to just take your man even if an extra 2nd sounds attractive.

Other reason is if you don't think any of the available forwards are that special and the extra assets would be more valuable.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Draftsite's reviews of Barzal, Zacha, Crouse and Rantanen
W/O looking it up, guess who they are talking about.

1. A big man with an excellent size/skating package. Gets in quickly and handles the forecheck and control the play along the boards. Can control things in the crease area, and has a big time heavy shot and release. Is strong on the puck, and gets through contact, and can drive the net. Very high hockey IQ, and anticipates the play well.

2. Creative player with excellent vision who skates well with a wide base and strong stride. Responsible 200 foot player whose seeps with offensive upside. He plays with speed and has a good understanding of utilizing all his resources in the attack zone.

3. Big man who has a strong physical game, excellent hands and really good shot. Not the fastest guy at this point but very strong on his pins and well balanced, and uses his size and reach to wear down the opponents. Good in the battle areas and goes hard to the front. At this juncture prefers to hold the puck, try and deke out defenders and shoot than to look for linemates.
Plays major minutes, and despite not being a dazzling stickhandler, still manages to dominate and take opponents off the puck, with strong wall work. He plays strong on the puck and never stops working. Displays a quick release and hard heavy shot. He sees the ice, gets open and has at times, high end touch with his passes along with that vision.

4. Displays a strong game on the wall and dominance below the circles. Has excellent vision, playmaking skills, and above average feet an effort in all three zones. He is very strong on the puck and uses his size to control play, bring havoc in the front and when he gets the puck it’s tough to get it from him, whether it is in the cycle or when he moves out off the wall. Seems very in control in his carries. He has solid jump and speed and the vision to find openings. If there was a knock it would be his low scoring totals so far. One could argue he wasn’t playing with pivot able to get him the biscuit. Others might say he lacks the high end soft and quick hands, foot speed and agility when passes are sent his way. He has spent time on IR, but is a very intriguing prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad