LeBrun: Teams around the NHL have made Ottawa a popular target for trade calls.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I could see the Flames come asking about either Paul or Brown. TSN is reporting they're looking for secondary scoring and both these guys played amazing with Mangiapane at the World Championships.

I'd prefer we re-sign Paul ourselves and keep Brown too (and maybe go target Mangiapane while we're at it) but I wouldn't be surprised if there is interest from them.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
On a quick scan there are 4 teams that could be looking for a potential starting goalie next year (im sure a fan of the team will jump in and say im wrong haha)
1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Buffalo Sabres
3. Arizona Coyotes
4. San Jose Sharks

and again just quick spitballing as to what could work (more likely an offseason move)

Murray+2nd/3rd round pick for Lablanc
Murray for Tyler Johnson (blackhawks might need to add a pick if Murray keeps playing like he has been recently)

We might be willing to take Murray just because he might help the tank along and is still young and signed for when we might compete again (ARI) but there's a lot more interesting pieces that OTT has that we would want. On the other hand probably somewhat doubtful those pieces get traded as we're both rebuilding.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
We might be willing to take Murray just because he might help the tank along and is still young and signed for when we might compete again (ARI) but there's a lot more interesting pieces that OTT has that we would want. On the other hand probably somewhat doubtful those pieces get traded as we're both rebuilding.
Just so you know Murray is 5-0-2 in his last 7 and over .930 sv pct

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I still say Kravtsov is a match made in heaven for OTT and himself...
They need a big talented wing, and krav is only gona come back with a shot at top 6/9 minutes.
They’ll also likely get him at a discount or as an add in on a larger trade package...
If I’m Dorion, it’s absolutely worth the gamble to add another big talented former top 10 draft pick..

"Filly doesn't do rebounds"

Sorry but for some reason I immediately thought of Filatov going to Ottawa and turning it around...and failing to do so. I know, different players etc.

Reactions: Altimus

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Paul for 2nd or good spect
Watson 3rd or good spect
Ennis for 3rd

Watson won't be dealt, Ennis won't return even close to a 3rd (and probably won't be dealt unless Gaudette continues his good play and Ennis wants to get a shot with a playoff team)

Paul is probably about right if he's not re-signed

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
31 calls from all other teams asking if they can just "have" assets would qualify as making Ottawa popular though.

They have some great assets, I can see how this vaguest of rumours is true...but I want details!

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
"Filly doesn't do rebounds"

Sorry but for some reason I immediately thought of Filatov going to Ottawa and turning it around...and failing to do so. I know, different players etc.

totally different type of players.....
If Krav wasn’t so stubborn/spoiled and just went to His AHL conditioning stint, he’d be playing in the nhl right now.
If OTT has an open RW nhl top 9 spot open, he’s worth the gamble.
Krav didn’t go back to Russia because he can’t handle NHL play, he went back because him and Drury hate each other

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Just so you know Murray is 5-0-2 in his last 7 and over .930 sv pct

Well, I don't personally think he's bad, but I think most people would say he isn't worth his contract right now. But if he turns it around, all the better.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Paul should garner a return similar to Goodrow or Coleman. If he isn't going to re sign teams will be all in on him. He has expressed wanting to stay so I hope the sens extend him.

Logically Tierney, Sanford, Ennis, J Brown, Forsberg are likely the players on the table. All mid to late round picks with a contract coming back. Could see a team wanting to add Sanford. Has a cup plays a good heavy game when he is on.

A 2nd plus Sanford for Kravstov maybe? I dunno. Maybe the sens add another pick.

However given Dorions track record and the asinine comment about adding when they have no chance of playoffs every team should be calling.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I really think you are living in a complete fantasy world with this take. Did Chabot and Tkachuk take discounts? Murray?

Melnyk has to greenlight contracts, there is no way he's stepping in to kibosh a trade for a prospect, especially not on the basis you've laid out. I don't think you will find many people who think what you're saying makes any sense.

If Murray keeps playing like he has been recently, why on earth would we trade him?

Because 10 good games doesn't all of a sudden erase 3 poor years of play.

If we can get future considerations for Murray I'd do it. Roll the dice on someone else.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'd be interested; similar to how I'd be interested in Kravstov.
It's just a matter of price. For example; I wouldn't be trading a "lesser-in value prospect" who's is tracking well for Ottawa for "higher-in value Zadina" who is tracking down.
Not sure it would be a straight up 1 for 1 or more of a package deal?? Maybe for brown or something like Krav plus.. I really don’t know if he’s in Ottawa’s future plans/ wants to resign there etc etc.
You guys did well with Duclair because he got the mins/opportunity to grow there.... I can say at this point, krav is a way more polished prospect then Duclair at that stage... he’s bigger and imo, has better hands. He also has no problem playing D. I would say I’d only give the edge to Duc being faster, but kravy isn’t slow by any means.
As an add on in a package deal, and not the main piece, he has massive home run potential in a top 9 RW spot playing with talented guys.
He also has years of control left and is not likely to be expensive, while potentially adding high end offensive talent. 3 things that OTT is always looking for.
Absolutely worth the gamble if they can guarantee him at least a shot 20 or so games, top prove himself at the nhl level.
He’s not a guy I would trade for If they plan on sending him to the AHL straight away, that’s when he becomes a flight risk.
He’s been a solid producer in the KHL for a while now, and he was by no means bad at NYR cap or in his 20 games where Quinn wouldn’t move him off 4th line...
Some team is going to get a good player if they give him that type of shot/situation. Since the sens are still in rebuild mode, it makes a ton of sense.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Because 10 good games doesn't all of a sudden erase 3 poor years of play.

If we can get future considerations for Murray I'd do it. Roll the dice on someone else.

On the one hand I agree, on the other hand a trade isn't gonna happen right now and I'd rather let him see if he can keep it up.

I think it would be a psychic blow to this team if we dealt away a guy who was winning games for us without really needing to.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Paul should garner a return similar to Goodrow or Coleman. If he isn't going to re sign teams will be all in on him. He has expressed wanting to stay so I hope the sens extend him.

Logically Tierney, Sanford, Ennis, J Brown, Forsberg are likely the players on the table. All mid to late round picks with a contract coming back. Could see a team wanting to add Sanford. Has a cup plays a good heavy game when he is on.

A 2nd plus Sanford for Kravstov maybe? I dunno. Maybe the sens add another pick.

However given Dorions track record and the asinine comment about adding when they have no chance of playoffs every team should be calling.

Extra year on both Goodrow / Coleman makes it unlikely Paul returns that much.

I agree that Sanford will be the most attractive piece otherwise. At no point has he been good since he's joined us... but at no point has he been bad, either. He is just an unexceptional 4th liner who can skate well and finishes his checks (albeit very non-punishingly). His skating ability allows him to play up the lineup and he has shown ability to play both wings. I think we should be able to get a 4th for him.

Tierney = essentially no value. Maybe a change-of-scenery bad contract i.e. V. Rask. Mete will be on the table too, likely in the same type of deal. Maybe a Max McCormick type player.

I think we'll hold onto Brown, Ennis & Forsberg.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Tampa paid a premium because Goodrow and Coleman both had an extra year. The market two years ago also favoured sellers.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Ritchie for Del Zotto? Sure.
Nick Ritchie to Ottawa does make sense. The Leafs would stand pat and keep Ritchie with an offer of Del Zotto. He is almost as expensive and less valuable to Toronto and even around the league I would imagine.

If Ottawa wants to take on some cap and reshape their roster. The Leafs would be more interested in a replacement forward like Nick Paul or Austin Watson.

Nick Ritchie + a 2023 3rd rd. pick + B-level prospect for Nick Paul (50% retained)

or

Nick Ritchie for Austin Watson + a 2022 4th rd. pick

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Nick Ritchie to Ottawa does make sense. The Leafs would stand pat and keep Ritchie with an offer of Del Zotto. He is almost as expensive and less valuable to Toronto and even around the league I would imagine.

If Ottawa wants to take on some cap and reshape their roster. The Leafs would be more interested in a replacement forward like Nick Paul or Austin Watson.

Nick Ritchie + a 2023 3rd rd. pick + B-level prospect for Nick Paul (50% retained)

or

Nick Ritchie for Austin Watson + a 2022 4th rd. pick

Lmao. These are both atrocious. Not even close.

Nick Ritchie was available on waivers and no one took him. Why on earth would Ottawa give up Watson (an asset) and a 4th for him? Why on earth would Ottawa retain on Paul, trade him for a worse package (3rd + B prospect) than they would get for him with no retention, and then take on a crappy contract?

You are out to lunch.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I could see the Flames come asking about either Paul or Brown. TSN is reporting they're looking for secondary scoring and both these guys played amazing with Mangiapane at the World Championships.

I'd prefer we re-sign Paul ourselves and keep Brown too (and maybe go target Mangiapane while we're at it) but I wouldn't be surprised if there is interest from them.

big-shaq-facilities.gif

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lmao. These are both atrocious. Not even close.

Nick Ritchie was available on waivers and no one took him. Why on earth would Ottawa give up Watson (an asset) and a 4th for him? Why on earth would Ottawa retain on Paul, trade him for a worse package (3rd + B prospect) than they would get for him with no retention, and then take on a crappy contract?

You are out to lunch.
If we are being honest Nick Ritchie is a comparable player to Nick Paul and he is significantly better than Austin Watson not including contracts.

The cost to retain Paul in FA would likely be around Ritchie's contract or even north of it on a multi year pact. Watson is overpaid for his contribution. The Leafs have Clifford as their 14th forward and he cleared waivers on a 1 year deal at 1M, Watson would clear as well. The Leafs don't really want Watson but he's buriable for a cheaper price on the cap than Ritchie, which is what I would do if he was traded to the Leafs and they could use another forward option going into the playoffs if Ritchie is leaving this year.

Last year Alex Galchenyuk cleared waivers and a couple days later the Leafs traded a prospect and AHL player for him, he signed another NHL contract after that with Arizona this summer. Kyle Clifford cleared waivers and then a couple days later the Leafs traded future considerations for him. Players that clear waivers are often traded after the fact. If you can move salary in the trade like Watson or you get futures like in the Paul trade, while also getting a comparable player back with term it kind of makes sense.

A 3rd + B-prospect sounds about right for Paul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad