LeBrun: Teams around the NHL have made Ottawa a popular target for trade calls.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
What would your ask be? I feel like NYR kinda wants the same thing in a trade - guys who can play. Main difference being Ottawa would be able to add a more high-paid player.

Only deal that makes some sense to me would be Paul + (probably one of our 2nds) for Kravtsov assuming Paul isn't going to re-sign... but I can't really see it coming to that and, if Paul will re-sign, it would be a tough move to justify.

2nd+Paul? For a 22 year old who hasnt performed in the NHL and has skipped town once already for the KHL? Yikes as a Sens fan I wouldn't do that. And I feel pretty confident Melnyk wouldn't take that risk either.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
2nd+Paul? For a 22 year old who hasnt performed in the NHL and has skipped town once already for the KHL? Yikes as a Sens fan I wouldn't do that. And I feel pretty confident Melnyk wouldn't take that risk either.

Melnyk has nothing to do with it. If Paul is gonna walk, I'd much rather tack a 2nd onto him and get Kravtsov than add another 2nd via trade.

Kravtsov chose the KHL over the AHL and was clearly dissatisfied with the Rangers in general. We went through this exact same thing with Puljuarvi, people telling me I was crazy for how much I'd pay for him and now what I was willing to pay wouldn't even sniff him.

I have no doubt Kravtsov will be a good top 9 winger and he has upside to be a good deal more. Big, fast, skilled, smart player.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
No way are Connor Brown, Paul or Brannstrom available. All three are cost-effective and very solid players that Ottawa will retain to push for Playoffs next season.

Connor Brown really shouldnt be on the block i agree with you, that being said i can see us potentially listening since he has 1 more year left after this

Paul it would really depend on what he wants as an extension. Do i want him back yes. But there is a pretty decent chance that he ends up on 4th line to start the year next year. Do we really want to pay 3 million for a 4th liner, especially a team that is tight on cap. (Brady/Norris/Bath/Jimmy/C.Brown/Formenton as players for sure over him) (White/Pinto/Internal depth as potentially over him)

Brannstrom should not be on the block period. That being said if we arent willing to play him on the Right Side then we wont have room for him next year. (Chabot/Sanderson/Holden). On the right side the only logical lock is Zub, the unfortunate lock is Zaistev baring a move. Considering it took three years for Brannstrom to get a remotely fair shake with our coach I can see us trading him while his value his high(would be so stupid)

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Besides retaining a pile of salary what would a Murray deal look like? I know he's having a decent comeback but who would be interested?

On a quick scan there are 4 teams that could be looking for a potential starting goalie next year (im sure a fan of the team will jump in and say im wrong haha)
1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Buffalo Sabres
3. Arizona Coyotes
4. San Jose Sharks

and again just quick spitballing as to what could work (more likely an offseason move)

Murray+2nd/3rd round pick for Lablanc
Murray for Tyler Johnson (blackhawks might need to add a pick if Murray keeps playing like he has been recently)

Reactions: Mike Jones

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Melnyk has nothing to do with it. If Paul is gonna walk, I'd much rather tack a 2nd onto him and get Kravtsov than add another 2nd via trade.

Kravtsov chose the KHL over the AHL and was clearly dissatisfied with the Rangers in general. We went through this exact same thing with Puljuarvi, people telling me I was crazy for how much I'd pay for him and now what I was willing to pay wouldn't even sniff him.

I have no doubt Kravtsov will be a good top 9 winger and he has upside to be a good deal more. Big, fast, skilled, smart player.

Agree except Krav will cost no less than a mid 1st. And I prefer NYR give him a shot so we can further up his value first.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Clearly we disagree on several points here. But I'll just say one thing. Melnyk has everything to do with it. Its his team he has to greenlight pretty much any transaction. And is he going to want to take a risk on a guy who has shown an unwillingness to work with an NHL team? Especially when hes the guy who demands his players take discounts to stay? I wouldn't imagine.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Clearly we disagree on several points here. But I'll just say one thing. Melnyk has everything to do with it. Its his team he has to greenlight pretty much any transaction. And is he going to want to take a risk on a guy who has shown an unwillingness to work with an NHL team? Especially when hes the guy who demands his players take discounts to stay? I wouldn't imagine.
I really think you are living in a complete fantasy world with this take. Did Chabot and Tkachuk take discounts? Murray?

Melnyk has to greenlight contracts, there is no way he's stepping in to kibosh a trade for a prospect, especially not on the basis you've laid out. I don't think you will find many people who think what you're saying makes any sense.
On a quick scan there are 4 teams that could be looking for a potential starting goalie next year (im sure a fan of the team will jump in and say im wrong haha)
1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Buffalo Sabres
3. Arizona Coyotes
4. San Jose Sharks

and again just quick spitballing as to what could work (more likely an offseason move)

Murray+2nd/3rd round pick for Lablanc
Murray for Tyler Johnson (blackhawks might need to add a pick if Murray keeps playing like he has been recently)

If Murray keeps playing like he has been recently, why on earth would we trade him?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I really think you are living in a complete fantasy world with this take. Did Chabot and Tkachuk take discounts? Murray?

Melnyk has to greenlight contracts, there is no way he's stepping in to kibosh a trade for a prospect, especially not on the basis you've laid out. I don't think you will find many people who think what you're saying makes any sense.

If Murray keeps playing like he has been recently, why on earth would we trade him?

We most likely wouldnt, was just answering the question that was asked thats all

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

And I think your living in a fantasy world for thinking we'd ever give up Nick Paul and a 2nd for a flight risk. So I guess we are even haha.
For every contract you say didnt take a hometown discount I can offer you one who was asked too and left. Stone? Duclair? Alfredsson?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
And I think your living in a fantasy world for thinking we'd ever give up Nick Paul and a 2nd for a flight risk. So I guess we are even haha.
For every contract you say didnt take a hometown discount I can offer you one who was asked too and left. Stone? Duclair? Alfredsson?
Dont think that's why Stone left but, either way, its irrelevant when discussing a guy on an ELC with no arbitration rights upon expiry.

You can disagree on value, whatever, your reasoning behind it is ridiculous though.

Reactions: BondraTime

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What would your ask be? I feel like NYR kinda wants the same thing in a trade - guys who can play. Main difference being Ottawa would be able to add a more high-paid player.

Only deal that makes some sense to me would be Paul + (probably one of our 2nds) for Kravtsov assuming Paul isn't going to re-sign... but I can't really see it coming to that and, if Paul will re-sign, it would be a tough move to justify.

Nothing that you'd be willing to trade.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Alright sens fans, what's the price on Chabot?

7ff72bc0-9381-4d91-8778-55d25b1aded0_text.gif

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Besides retaining a pile of salary what would a Murray deal look like? I know he's having a decent comeback but who would be interested?
I don't think the sens would be looking to retain. We care about cash, not cap. If they do it, I think it would be another overpaid player coming back and maybe B-level picks or prospects to even it out.

Dorion seems content to just roll the dice with him, and he is playing lights out right now, so that might be the right play. It would be a very risky trade for everybody involved, so I doubt it ever happens. Likely the kind of deal where one side gets royally hosed.

Reactions: Mike Jones

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Ottawa still has all three retention spots available so they may do what San Jose did last season. Considering they don’t really have any rentals of note (since Sens fans say that Paul is re-signing) this would make sense to bring back some draft capital

Reactions: bert

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That doesn't mean he won't find other ways to be Eugene Melnyk. This guy would pay his players with food stamps if he could.

He's signed the players that need signing, including massive fair contracts to Brady Tkachuk and Thomas Chabot. And while the protest has forced most of Ottawa's downtown stores to close up, he has still paid his employees at the Sens Shop in the market as if they were working.

Melnyk has taken a lot of well deserved flak, but the past couple of years he has legitimately been putting his money where his mouth is.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I've got to assume teams are clling about Brown, Paul, Brannstrom and zub

Guys like Ennis, Gaudette and Sanford also probably have some value.

I don't see any of those 4 guys being traded, unless Paul declares that he wants to test free agency. Zub has been Ottawa's most steady defenseman after Chabot, and given his limited production he can probably be signed for a decent price. I'd be shocked if Zub is moved, especially with another year on his contract.

Branstrom might be the only one who potentially gets traded. I want to see the Senators lock him up, he's finally found his game and looking to be every bit the player everyone thought he would be when he was traded for Stone. But with Sanderson, JBD and THomson knocking on the door, he might still be the odd man out.

If the Senators are going to make a big move and bring in a star forward like Scheiffle, Branstrom might just be the centerpiece. But I don't see them being willing to trade their first round pick, and I'm not sure if now is the time to make that kind of move.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Wouldn't mind adding Paul as a depth player at the deadline

They will try to sign Paul, but if it's clear they wont be able they will trade him otherwise he is staying put I think.

Paul it would really depend on what he wants as an extension. Do i want him back yes. But there is a pretty decent chance that he ends up on 4th line to start the year next year. Do we really want to pay 3 million for a 4th liner, especially a team that is tight on cap. (Brady/Norris/Bath/Jimmy/C.Brown/Formenton as players for sure over him) (White/Pinto/Internal depth as potentially over him)
What do you guys think Nick Paul would cost at the deadline (assuming he hasn't extended before then)?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Ottawa is loaded with young players and prospects. I think they are ready to take the next step if they add a couple key veterans.

I think they would be a good target for a player like Scheifele.

I don't think they are even close. Those couple of veterans would have to be star players for them to be close to competing for a playoff spot.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
What do you guys think Nick Paul would cost at the deadline (assuming he hasn't extended before then)?

He will at least cost a 2nd imo most likely a 2nd plus at least that is the cost

That being said if his asking price is outrageous i can see that asking price dropping since im sure teams will realize the only reason he isnt being resigned is because of the cost dollar wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad