Team w/o Pietrangelo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If Petro leaves then I think we need another top 4 D without losing significant talent from the forward group in order to remain a competitor. I am not sure that is possible with our cap situation, as I have not checked.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Without Petro the team will probably ride out next year to see who can step up by committee from our young players and pick up the points. If the team is still a top tier team then they'll just keep rolling. If they drop back and are passed by other teams, then you probably are looking at a significant retool in 2021-22.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I would honestly prefer that to Pietrangelo signing with the Leafs. Even on Colorado, I would wish him well and honour him when he faces his former team. If he goes to Toronto, I hate that franchise so much I would instantly hate him, and get ready for some nasty comments from me if the Blues try and honour him in some kind of ceremony. Yes, I would rather he go to Colorado than Toronto!
You're the only one here, I'm afraid. Getting Pietrangelo would instantly solidify The Avs' defence. The the several young defencemen they already have, who have lots of upside potential, and some will become stars, Pietrangelo's signing would instantly solidify their defence, and move them ahead of The Blues in team roster strength. They'd instantly become the favourite to win the division for the next several seasons.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Another thing lost in all this is, aside from blowing a hole in the defense and asking more of players in terms of matchups, they would need to find a way to replace Pietrangelo's offense. Going back to the beginning of last season, Pietrangelo is tied with Schwartz for 4th* in scoring amongst Blues players; both have 93 points with Schwartz in 1 less game

*Tarasenko almost assuredly would have leap frogged both Pietrangelo and Schwartz if he had played more than 10 games this year.

Most people point to Faulk and say "well he can replace that offense!" and I really don't think that's the case. Faulk has outscored Pietrangelo one time over the course of his career and that was by 3 points in 14-15. In 2015-16 Faulk and Pietrangelo both produced 37 points -in fairness to Faulk, he did it in 13 fewer games- but since then Pietrangelo has produced more offense while being miles better defensively. Since 16-17:

Pietrangelo- 299GP 58G 195Pts
Faulk- 302GP 41G 119Pts

That gets worse considering that for most of that time Pietrangelo was playing the very role Parayko is now in while still putting up high-end offense. Even if the plan is to just feed Faulk easy minutes and matchups in hopes he can find new offensive highs, someone still will need to draw the tougher matchups outside of Parayko and Scandella (despite the belief Pietrangelo is now sheltered nearly 33% of his TOI is still against what PuckIq considers "elite"). It's not dramatic to say without Pietrangelo the team goes from a contender to merely above average immediately given the impact he has at both ends of the ice. The Penguins won recently with worse d-corps than what the Blues would be rolling into next season with, but the Blues don't have anywhere near the talent up front that those teams did.

While I agree Faulk doesn't replace all of Petro's offense; IMO the bigger problem is actually the #2 LHD.

I'm not convinced Dunn can handle top 4 minutes from a defensive standpoint.
I love Boom Boom, but he brings nothing offensively.
Mikkola is unproven and looks to have very little offensive upside(could turn into a great stay at home type, but I doubt he cracks even 20 points on a regular basis).
Perunovich also unproven and looks to be in the Dunn category(questionable defense, especially at the start).

I tend to agree with the thought that Faulk can fill a lot of the roles that Petro plays, but one thing I don't see him doing is producing enough to carry a defensive liability or offensive blackhole next to him.
IF we could somehow swing something to get a decent LHD to go next to Faulk, I think we'd be perfectly fine(and we might be able to massage the cap to make that happen), but I don't think you can expect Faulk to do it by himself.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I wonder how much this post-season outcome would affect the negotiation, Pietro’s value and Pietro’s decision-making. If they repeated, lost in the SCF or went out quietly in the 1st round, does it impact things?
I would imagine that his agent is advising his client to hold out for 2x SC Champ money if Army will pay it. I would also imagine that Army won't pay it until he actually is a 2x SC Champ. All of this is speculation on my part, but it seems logical to me that this is a big reason why he is still un-signed going into the playoffs.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I think Dunn's skating, IQ, and compete, coupled with his age, will lend itself to him growing into a defensively solid #2LHD
all he is really lacking is the experience of playing in that role at the NHL level
to this point the roster has not necessitated him consistently being used in that manner

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If Petro goes to the Avs then I think that you have to think hard about launching a retool right now because the Blues don't have the horsepower to go toe to toe with them. They will be the class of the West for at least 3 seasons. The Blues don't have the young talent like the Avs do in the pipeline. Furthermore, they really need to figure out what is in Binnington's thoughts. I don't know if he has much loyalty to the Blues given his path to the NHL. If you can't re-sign him next season, then the Blues could be a totally different looking team minus Petro and Binny.

The only thing that could hurt the Avs is that they have a lot of good players either on ELCs or cheap contracts. That will change and do they bank on paying a 30+ year old defenseman for the next 7 years at the risk of the cap growing slowly while their top level players will demand significant raises?

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I was trying to stay out of this thread but i guess I'll share my thoughts. There are several other teams that i like besides the Blues and I would be happy if they got Petro. There are a few teams that i absolutely despise(Maple Leafs I'm looking at you) I will wish him well but won't be my favorite player anymore and will probably hate him.

Anyways the Blues window is wide open for the next few years. If Petro leaves the window will slam shut and might as well start a retool right then and there. The Blues don't have anyone to replace Petro, Justin Faulk can't replace Petro,
I love Colt also but give him Petro's role Colt can replace him somewhat. I'm going to stop before i get anymore carried away.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was trying to stay out of this thread but i guess I'll share my thoughts. There are several other teams that i like besides the Blues and I would be happy if they got Petro. There are a few teams that i absolutely despise(Maple Leafs I'm looking at you) I will wish him well but won't be my favorite player anymore and will probably hate him.

Anyways the Blues window is wide open for the next few years. If Petro leaves the window will slam shut and might as well start a retool right then and there. The Blues don't have anyone to replace Petro, Justin Faulk can't replace Petro,
I love Colt also but give him Petro's role Colt can replace him somewhat. I'm going to stop before i get anymore carried away.
I completely agree with you. I'm glad you chimed in!

Reactions: Vollie27

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I think you would be replacing a guy who is a top 10 defensman in the league with a guy who is at best a lower tier #2 or upper tier #3 defenseman
the real question is if players as a group can pick up enough slack to keep the Blues defense near the top of the league
maybe, but I would want some good odds before placing that bet

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
So no one believes Faulk can step in and be a decent replacement?
I like Justin Faulk. He's not an adequate replacement.

Faulk would be put in the exact same situation he left in Carolina where he would be put in a position WAY over his head. Granted he wouldn't be defending one of the worst goaltenders in the league like was in Carolina, but he wouldn't fair well if put in a position to take over Pietrangelo's offensive and defensive minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
While I agree Faulk doesn't replace all of Petro's offense; IMO the bigger problem is actually the #2 LHD.

I'm not convinced Dunn can handle top 4 minutes from a defensive standpoint.
I love Boom Boom, but he brings nothing offensively.
Mikkola is unproven and looks to have very little offensive upside(could turn into a great stay at home type, but I doubt he cracks even 20 points on a regular basis).
Perunovich also unproven and looks to be in the Dunn category(questionable defense, especially at the start).

I tend to agree with the thought that Faulk can fill a lot of the roles that Petro plays, but one thing I don't see him doing is producing enough to carry a defensive liability or offensive blackhole next to him.
IF we could somehow swing something to get a decent LHD to go next to Faulk, I think we'd be perfectly fine(and we might be able to massage the cap to make that happen), but I don't think you can expect Faulk to do it by himself.
I certainly agree that if Pietrangelo leaves the the LHD suddenly becomes a much more immediate issue.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
It isn’t that Faulk wouldn’t be a fine 2nd pairing guy, it’s that the Blues don’t have the offensive stars to make up for just a fine defense. They won by having an extremely great defense. And they barely won.

I will still rate this team as very good and enjoy watching them play hockeys, but I won’t be getting my hopes up for another cup.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
In terms of looking for a replacement D. I think the best option would be trading Dunn+ for a top pairing quality LHD who would (at least on paper) be a good partner for Faulk.

Would allow for a more balanced deployment of Faulk while Scandella-Parayko continue most of the heavy defensive lifting.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
In terms of looking for a replacement D. I think the best option would be trading Dunn+ for a top pairing quality LHD who would (at least on paper) be a good partner for Faulk.

Would allow for a more balanced deployment of Faulk while Scandella-Parayko continue most of the heavy defensive lifting.
I agree. It is imperative that that LD be a two-way D, however. Faulk needs a partner who is good in his own end. Someone like Brodin, or Slavin.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

I'd go for an addition through subtraction approach; sign Pie, dump contracts/players like Steen, Allen and maybe even Schwartz. Blues have the money to do it with the approach being to sign Pie and get picks to restock the farm.

Reactions: simon IC

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
How much would removing Schwartz from this team would downgrade us from cup challenger status? I would say it’s a significant drop. Paired with losing Petro, I would say we would need a major retool to a rebuild at that point.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
How much would removing Schwartz from this team would downgrade us from cup challenger status? I would say it’s a significant drop. Paired with losing Petro, I would say we would need a major retool to a rebuild at that point.
If you lose both of them there’s no case to be made that the team is still a contender unless Dunn and Kyrou become legitimate top 20-ish players at their position.

Operating under the premise of the thread where Pietrangelo is gone, I think the thing that makes most sense is to let it ride next year. See what you have in younger guys -particularly Kyrou and Mikkola- and see what happens in the off-season with Schwartz/Binnington then go from there. Toss in the expansion draft and odds are they would need to make significant moves at that point anyway and they could have a decent amount of cap room as well as a better idea of short and long term needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad