Team w/o Pietrangelo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It’s funny, Dunn has literally said Berube is the best coach he’s ever had. Who would be the coach that would get more out of him you allude to?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
It’s funny, Dunn has literally said Berube is the best coach he’s ever had. Who would be the coach that would get more out of him you allude to?
My personal favorites?
Gerard Gallant
Claude Julien
Bruce Cassidy
Jon Cooper
Tod McClellan

I don’t like the offensive system under Berube. I think given this roster, the Blues should be a lot better at 5v5 offense then what the statistics show. The Blues rely heavily on their PP and that doesn’t give me a lot of confidence.

Berube’s defensive system is top notch, so give him the credit he deserves there.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
My personal favorites?
Gerard Gallant
Claude Julien
Bruce Cassidy
Jon Cooper
Tod McClellan

I don’t like the offensive system under Berube. I think given this roster, the Blues should be a lot better at 5v5 offense then what the statistics show. The Blues rely heavily on their PP and that doesn’t give me a lot of confidence.

Berube’s defensive system is top notch, so give him the credit he deserves there.
The only reason the Blues won in the playoffs last year was 5 on 5 play.

Were those coaches not under contract when we hired Berube as interim? Should we have fired Berube when Gallant was fired, half a season after he won a cup and had the Blues in first?

But I am all for writing names down on some paper. Any names really. Throwing them in the Stanley Cup we have laying around and drawing a couple out so we can pick our new GM and coach. Would surely yield better results than the current management.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
The only reason the Blues won in the playoffs last year was 5 on 5 play.

Were those coaches not under contract when we hired Berube as interim? Should we have fired Berube when Gallant was fired, half a season after he won a cup and had the Blues in first?

But I am all for writing names down on some paper. Any names really. Throwing them in the Stanley Cup we have laying around and drawing a couple out so we can pick our new GM and coach. Would surely yield better results than the current management.
He asked for examples, I never said the acquisition of said coaches was reasonable.

But Berube isn’t without flaw, so I don’t see what your point is. The playoff run has nothing to do with the near full season we saw from October to March, where the teams 5 v 5 offense was subpar. You can relay that to Tarasenko missing the season, but one player carrying a teams entire 5 v 5 offense also doesn’t bode confidence.

Let’s not forget a coach taking over mid-season and starting out in training camp is a different ball game.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Armstrong extending anyone before Pietrangelo looks like it will bite the team. I don’t get why you wouldn’t prioritize a top 5 defenseman league wide.

If he extended Dunn, at least that’s a top 20 defenseman who’s 23 and would explode with a better coach than Berube.

Instead, for some reason the team acquired Faulk and gave him a massive contract he will never live up to and is now one of the biggest anchor contracts in the league. Then signed Scandella to a long term extension despite an extraordinarily small sample size of him being worth the price.

I don’t like the Schenn extension at all, but I guess it can be rationalized.

Now the teams in a position where it’s going to cost assets to free up the money needed to bring back its two best unsigned players.

I don’t see Pietrangelo coming back unless a miracle happens. Dunn is criminally underrated and him getting a bigger role is when he would explode, but the team can’t extend him long term because it prioritized older and worse players in Schenn, Faulk and Scandella. Why? I don’t know. So Dunn will be bridged, break out and then cost a lot more than he could’ve.

Losing Pietrangelo? That pretty much closes the teams chance at winning another Stanley Cup, although Armstrong’s recent moves weren’t helping those odds either way.

The team looks like it will need to reset/retool and at this point I’m just extremely frustrated with the way this situation was handled.
Idea that Dunn is a top 20 defenseman is laughable.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
He’s a top 20 3rd pairing Dman
tenor.gif

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
He asked for examples, I never said the acquisition of said coaches was reasonable.

But Berube isn’t without flaw, so I don’t see what your point is. The playoff run has nothing to do with the near full season we saw from October to March, where the teams 5 v 5 offense was subpar. You can relay that to Tarasenko missing the season, but one player carrying a teams entire 5 v 5 offense also doesn’t bode confidence.

Let’s not forget a coach taking over mid-season and starting out in training camp is a different ball game.
I guess my point is that, uh, the people you are wanting replaced just won a championship. Like, literally a year ago, and only a few months ago ended their season in 1st place. I hope that if you are so lucky to have a job your boss holds a few more reasonable standards for you.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Scandella - Parayko
Gunnarsson - Faulk
Dunn - Bortuzzo

Mikkola fills in when Gunny gets hurt.

1. I think Parayko can fill the #1 defenseman just fine. Give him first team power play. Let it rip!

2. Faulk You! He will be the player we traded for once he is cast in the proper role. He needs PP time.

3. Mikkola is better than you think.

Reactions: Meatball

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Removing Pietrangelo isn't just a matter of Parayko taking over The #1 position. It's more like Pronger's leaving and The Blues only having MacInness left. Currently, they have a great anchor on both of their top 2 defensive shifts. Afterwards, they'll only have one on the top shift. It makes a big difference. Their defence will simply not be as solid and strong.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Ask yourself: Why did DA signed Faulk and Scandella?

Answer: Petro has named a price and its too high or Petro has dreams like Tavares of returning home to Toronto.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Petro can dream about Toronto all he wants but they would need to move more salary then we would to sign him

And I'm not sure what the COVID economics are for NHL teams. Certainly there is zero revenue stream right now...sans whatever merchandise they can sell.

What will 2020-2021 season games look like? Half full stadiums?

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
COVID might force Pie into taking a team-friendly deal. Toronto’s cap situation looks pretty bad along with a lot of other teams.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would honestly prefer he go to the Avs than the Leafs! If he goes to Toronto I will have to hate him and wish him failure. Any other team, and I will wish him well.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yeah let's play against him a lot :(
I would honestly prefer that to Pietrangelo signing with the Leafs. Even on Colorado, I would wish him well and honour him when he faces his former team. If he goes to Toronto, I hate that franchise so much I would instantly hate him, and get ready for some nasty comments from me if the Blues try and honour him in some kind of ceremony. Yes, I would rather he go to Colorado than Toronto!

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Another thing lost in all this is, aside from blowing a hole in the defense and asking more of players in terms of matchups, they would need to find a way to replace Pietrangelo's offense. Going back to the beginning of last season, Pietrangelo is tied with Schwartz for 4th* in scoring amongst Blues players; both have 93 points with Schwartz in 1 less game

*Tarasenko almost assuredly would have leap frogged both Pietrangelo and Schwartz if he had played more than 10 games this year.

Most people point to Faulk and say "well he can replace that offense!" and I really don't think that's the case. Faulk has outscored Pietrangelo one time over the course of his career and that was by 3 points in 14-15. In 2015-16 Faulk and Pietrangelo both produced 37 points -in fairness to Faulk, he did it in 13 fewer games- but since then Pietrangelo has produced more offense while being miles better defensively. Since 16-17:

Pietrangelo- 299GP 58G 195Pts
Faulk- 302GP 41G 119Pts

That gets worse considering that for most of that time Pietrangelo was playing the very role Parayko is now in while still putting up high-end offense. Even if the plan is to just feed Faulk easy minutes and matchups in hopes he can find new offensive highs, someone still will need to draw the tougher matchups outside of Parayko and Scandella (despite the belief Pietrangelo is now sheltered nearly 33% of his TOI is still against what PuckIq considers "elite"). It's not dramatic to say without Pietrangelo the team goes from a contender to merely above average immediately given the impact he has at both ends of the ice. The Penguins won recently with worse d-corps than what the Blues would be rolling into next season with, but the Blues don't have anywhere near the talent up front that those teams did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad