Olympics: Team USA 2022

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Stopping both would probably be a good idea at this point. My last word on Eichel: Whether he is on the team or not is not going to be the difference between gold and not.

I think it will hurt their chances significantly to lose him, unless Larkin/Hughes can somehow elevate their game to a top 10 NHL Center level of play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it will hurt their chances significantly to lose him, unless Larkin/Hughes can somehow elevate their game to a top 10 NHL Center level of play.

I don't see it that way, but you may be right. Personally, I think a guy like J.T. Miller could step in at center and the difference between he and Eichel wouldn't be that stark in a short tournament.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
No Eichel I go with this

Debrincat - Matthews - Kane
Gaudreau - Larkin - Guentzel
Connor - Miller - Wheeler
B Tkachuk - Pavelski - M Tkachuk
Boeser

Slavin - Fox
Werenski - Jones
McAvoy - Carlson
Q Hughes/Petry/Pesce

Hellebuyck
Gibson
Demko

Why have both Tkatchuks? Boeser should be on the team instead of Brady as he is a lethal sniper.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why have both Tkatchuks? Boeser should be on the team instead of Brady as he is a lethal sniper.

He has him on the team as an extra forward. The reality is with the expanded rosters there is room for both. I think Matt Tkachuk for sure makes it. He's looking motivated this pre-season and is the perfect compliment to a guy like Matthews as he's a great playmaker and a grinder. Brady is also a strong possibility as long as his contract stalemate with Ottawa is resolved.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Stopping both would probably be a good idea at this point. My last word on Eichel: Whether he is on the team or not is not going to be the difference between gold and not.
Because I'm "obsessed", I can't stop. But I appreciate your last word.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Team USA is may be only team who can do impossible - upset Team Canada in Winter Olympics.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Because I'm "obsessed", I can't stop. But I appreciate your last word.

I don't have the "last word." Keep talking about if you want (not that you need my permission). At this point, I think the Eichel talk is beating a dead horse until something new happens.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Team USA is may be only team who can do impossible - upset Team Canada in Winter Olympics.

Canada is the favorite-no doubt. In a seven game series against the U.S., Russia, Finland, and Sweden they wouldn't lose. Too much depth up front. That said, in a single game elimination event I think they are vulnerable. Goaltending could be a concern and I'm not enamored with their defense. I think it could break down under strong forechecking pressure.

Reactions: User9992

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I know we have some concerns at center if certain players don't play we have some excellent wingers. A guy I think might make a strong play is Anders Lee. He looks great this pre-season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think another player that will get strong consideration is Oshie. He's a vet but still does a lot of things well and is a winner.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Oshie and Pacioretty with impressive opening games; Petry and Jones with poor performances to start the campaign. I had Pacioretty off my roster knowing how in Montréal/Internationally he would disappear in big games, but he certainly can look to claim a spot. Have a feeling he is competing for a role that will have him in direct competition with Boeser and Wheeler

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
I think this is pretty wrong. Sure Canada is the favorite, but beating them is entirely plausible for USA, Finland, Sweden and Russia.
Even besides those top teams, the rest would be underdogs, but far from impossible

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think this is pretty wrong. Sure Canada is the favorite, but beating them is entirely plausible for USA, Finland, Sweden and Russia.
Even besides those top teams, the rest would be underdogs, but far from impossible

I agree. Canada is the favorite but in a single game elimination tournament with several top teams it's not a foregone conclusion they win.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oshie and Pacioretty with impressive opening games; Petry and Jones with poor performances to start the campaign. I had Pacioretty off my roster knowing how in Montréal/Internationally he would disappear in big games, but he certainly can look to claim a spot. Have a feeling he is competing for a role that will have him in direct competition with Boeser and Wheeler

I'm not inclined to hold the past against players. Pacioretty has been a top goal scorer his entire career and while he had some hiccups in the fish bowl that is Montreal he has stepped up with Vegas. He's also a good two-way player. I would agree that he's likely competing with guys like Wheeler and Boeser. If given a choice of the three I'd probably go with Wheeler and Pacioretty as they are very good skaters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mathieukferland

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Well Matthews himself doesn't and most that know his heritage never would...

Glad to see the first 3 names. I agree with them, even as others have moved out of the Seth Jones camp I always thought he would be on this team.
You can be white and Mexican, Mexican is a nationality, not a race. Matthews' mother looks mestizo so she herself is probably a mix of white and indigenous.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Canadian here, and I’ll say Canada has flirted with disaster in 2010 and 2014. We lost to team USA in the regulation round in 2010 convincingly and needed an overtime goal in the gold medal game. We won 1-0 in 2014 vs team USA. And if you look at team Canada’s history in best on best, we screw up from time to time and when we do, we really screw up like not even medaling in 1998 or 2006. I predict team USA will take gold and Canada comes second. Not because I think team USA has the better overall team, but because they are certainly capable and team Canada is due for an upset.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I predict team USA will take gold and Canada comes second. Not because I think team USA has the better overall team, but because they are certainly capable and team Canada is due for an upset.
Me, too. :( However, I predict Canada will lose in the semis.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Pacioretty out injured 6 weeks, not that he was a lock but he's an option. Him, Tuch and Eichel all going to be dealing with injuries. Emily Kaplan on ESPN said whenever Eichel gets his surgery it'll be 6 weeks until he's on the ice, but 3 months until he's game ready. So I think that is all but shutting the door completely from Eichel. If a trade happens tomorrow and he get's surgery the next day, 3 months takes him to mid January. Unless he has a faster than expected recovery I find it hard to believe whatever team he goes to will let the Olympics be his first action back.

Really excited about Jack Hughes though, he looks like he's taken big steps each season now and he could really claim his spot on this team with the lack of depth at C.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I find it hard to believe whatever team he goes to will let the Olympics be his first action back.
I still think Eichel will be available for China but it's getting tight.

Then it will be up to USA Hockey to decide if they want a player who hasn't played in a year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad