Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CHI] Brandon Hagel, 2022, 2024 4ths for Boris Katchouk, Taylor Raddysh, 2023, 2024 1sts (Top 10 protected)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe DeBrusk's value is more than I thought.
It's funny you bring up Jakes name. What happens if Brandon becomes what Jake has become??

1647643821832.png

Looked pretty promising in 2018-19 at the age of 22.

27G + 15A for 42Pts in 68GP. Plays with an edge. Under team control. Surely he'd be able to sustain that 17.3% SP over his career right? play 3rd line minutes and continue an upward trajectory?

wrong. His shooting percentage came back down to earth and he started to produce arcordingly.

Point being is Hagel is far from a guarantee to continue a linear trajectory upward. In fact with his 22% SP this season, we may even see a similar regression in his overall game as we saw with Jake. He will still be a good middle six player, but I just can't remember when the price for good middle 6 players became 2 roster players and 2 first round picks. No matter where those 1st's are being selected.

Insane

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
This strengthen their 3rd line force. This is how I think they will rollout in the playoffs.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Stamkos - Cirelli - Killorn
Joseph - Colton - Hagel
Maroon - PEB - Perry

This is a hell of lineup. But came at a cost. They must not have a major injury to their F core in the playoffs. Because they got no reliable scratches on hand unlike when they have Raddysh and Katchouk.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Fleury doesn't want to go to the Toronto tire fire lol, he already said no to that. Whoever the leafs get, it won't be their first or maybe even 2nd choice and they'll still overpay.
Sounds like hope from you more then speculation, also as a sens fan u have no right calling any other organization a tire fire.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
This strengthen their 3rd line force. This is how I think they will rollout in the playoffs.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Joseph - Colton - Hagel
Maroon - PEB - Perry

This is a hell of lineup. But came at a cost. They must not have a major injury to their F core in the playoffs. Because they got no reliable scratches on hand unlike when they have Raddysh and Katchouk.

I don't think the drop off is so severe from Raddysh to ABB

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Black Hawks got 2 firsts and 2 NHL caliber players. We should get at least 1 first and a solid player for Lehkonen. Habs can retain in him.
Katchouk and Raddysh are fringe players who may or may not make the grade in the NHL.

But I agree, I think the Habs could definitely get one first and one moderate young fringe body pretty easily.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's funny you bring up Jakes name. What happens if Brandon becomes what Jake has become??

View attachment 517781

Looked pretty promising in 2018-19 at the age of 22.

27G + 15A for 42Pts in 68GP. Plays with an edge. Under team control. Surely he'd be able to sustain that 17.3% SP over his career right? play 3rd line minutes and continue an upward trajectory?

wrong. His shooting percentage came back down to earth and he started to produce arcordingly.

Point being is Hagel is far from a guarantee to continue a linear trajectory upward. In fact with his 22% SP this season, we may even see a similar regression in his overall game as we saw with Jake. He will still be a good middle six player, but I just can't remember when the price for good middle 6 players became 2 roster players and 2 first round picks. No matter where those 1st's are being selected.

Insane
Theoretically you are right but these are different players. Hagel’s speed and tenacity make him an extremely valuable asset even if he’s going through a shooting slump. His floor as an impact player when both are going through goal slumps is much higher than Debrusk’s.

Tampa did their homework here.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I thought this trade was absolutely absurd at first, but it’s really pretty brilliant. Tampa got a rental not just for this year, but this year and the next 2, so what does it matter to them if they spend their next 2 late firsts? Really good deal for both parties.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Joseph - Colton - Hagel
Maroon - PEB - Perry

They still have a 2022 1st and plenty of 4th's now to use to pay for double retention. They aren't done adding to their 3rd line just yet.

Reactions: Deam78

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If Brandon hagel shoots 10%, he still is an absolute winning piece. That’s the thing. He does EVERYTHING right.
Ilya Micheyev does EVERYTHING right as well. Doesn't mean he is worth 2 1st round picks. Almost every team in the league has 1 player on the team that does EVERYTHING right. To spend 2x 1st round picks on a player they need to produce IMO. I understand TB's cap situation and the cost certainty. The player still needs to produce to give up that much.

I want to be clear, I think Hagel is a great addition to TB, my issue is this is an obvious overpayment that seems to be getting justified by so many on here based on trades that TB once made that helped them win cups. The Goodrow deal was an overpayment that helped them win a cup. The Coleman deal, same thing. This trade has yet to do that, so until that happens I will call it as it is, an overpayment.

Julian Briosbois has earned the right to take these type of gambles IMO. I just personally think this one has the most possible chance of failure just given the fact that these 1st rounders are for 2023 and 2024. We've seen good teams fall fast in that time frame. Time will tell

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Ilya Micheyev does EVERYTHING right as well. Doesn't mean he is worth 2 1st round picks. Almost every team in the league has 1 player on the team that does EVERYTHING right. To spend 2x 1st round picks on a player they need to produce IMO. I understand TB's cap situation and the cost certainty. The player still needs to produce to give up that much.

I want to be clear, I think Hagel is a great addition to TB, my issue is this is an obvious overpayment that seems to be getting justified by so many on here based on trades that TB once made that helped them win cups. The Goodrow deal was an overpayment that helped them win a cup. The Coleman deal, same thing. This trade has yet to do that, so until that happens I will call it as it is, an overpayment.

Julian Briosbois has earned the right to take these type of gambles IMO. I just personally think this one has the most possible chance of failure just given the fact that these 1st rounders are for 2023 and 2024. We've seen good teams fall fast in that time frame. Time will tell
You need a few of those does everything right guys to win too.

Bunting is that mire apt in Hagel comparison or Toronto and Hyman before, but everyone rightly mocked Edmonton paying Hyman the deal he got. These guys are great to have on their 2nd deals in their RFA ages, Tampa to get that has had to pay and his great deal keeps them cap loose to add more. That's why they've spend basiclly what it took to get Coleman/Goodrow combined 2 years ago. They're not overpayment when guy succeed going all in. This helps them keep fhat effort for 3 years of going all in too.

It's a gamble losely but he's gonna be a solid every game player and they'd need a lot to go wrong to be so bad that it hurts that much in 2024 and that's after 2 more cup runs.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Both picks are top 10 protected, so if they fall and they end up winning the lottery so be it. Hagel's cost control RFA status, and trying to win now makes it worth it. If the picks end up being between 25-32, still worth it for the 2 more years at 1.5M and 2 more years of RFA status. The risks you take having your ass against the cap every year.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
That dude doesn't understand how the salary cap works, and thus doesn't understand how this is a win-win trade and not some "massive overpayment" like he thinks it is.
You can say it’s overpayment for the player, but not the situation.

Feb 19, 2018
People always overvalue picks and prospects for sure things. Even Bluechip Prospects bust and that’s just the way it goes, I understand that this is a “Hockey Futures” board though. Everyone laughed when it was said JT Miller could get equivalent to 3 or 4 first round picks, I think this trade proves that the contract is very important when it comes to the value coming back.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Again....you avoid the point by going full HF...You assert that the 2 first rounders are NHL'ers, this isn't true. Unless your definition of NHL'er is simply playing less than a season in the NHL in your draft +2 or +3 years? The odds of those first round picks becoming effective, productive, full-time NHL'ers are about 1 in 5. The odds of Brandon Hagel being a productive, effective, full-time NHL'er, 100%.
Chicago just got a full line from tampa bay for Brandon Hagel...

The point you make is moot my guy. Listen... There is no risk if tampa wanted to tank the next two years and steal the picks back ( in the extreme case ) But higher risk just giving them away with the team they currently have ( Injury problems? Health problems Consistency,Kuch? ).. If they are saying they suck at drafting and they think hagel is worth 4 NHL players.. then they must know a thing or two about current NHL players ( as opposed to drafting surefire players ). They have had an amazing run and I think this is a STUPID price to pay for Hagel ( no offense hagel ). Mostly because they could have gotten more for those picks and prospects than just HAGEL. Ridiculous trade. I hope he lights it up .. Good luck tamps.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
You can't deny though that this trade seems like a massive overpayment.
How? We got a younger 23 year old 20 goal scoring forward with two more years and rfa status for 1.5 million for two 24 year old fringe prospects and 2 late prospects that would be at best 4 years away.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Chicago just got a full line from tampa bay for Brandon Hagel...

You're point is moot my guy. Listen... There is no risk if tampa wanted to tank the next two years and steal the picks back ( in the extreme case ) But higher risk just giving them away with the team they currently have.. If they are saying we suck at drafting and we think hagel is worth 4 NHL players.. then they must know a thing or two about current NHL players ( as opposed to drafting surefire players. They have had an amazing run and I think this is a STUPID price to pay for Hagel ( no offense hagel ) I hope he lights it up but I don't see much more than a HOPEFUL top-6 player.. Good luck tamps.
Where are these 4 NHL players? You keep avoiding that question.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Where are these 4 NHL players? You keep avoiding that question.
Ok, I'll bite. These 4 ( or more ) NHLers just came from the value that two First round picks have, Taylor Raddysh ( who i think plays good 3rd line minutes down the road ( a tier below Hagel ), and a 4th line sandpaper guy with up and down potential in Kathcouk. Those two first WILL turn into two NHL players UNLESS chicago whiffs on the opportunity here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad