Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CAR] Jake Guentzel for 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
They had to do so to get a jump on the market. Nothing is to say Guentzel even signs there, this allows them to talk numbers.

The Pens did this years ago with Dan Hamhuis and he refused to sign with the team.

I'm just saying that a 7th is worth a punt on a guy's rights like Toronto did with Tanev. A 3rd is a pretty steep price to pay.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
If this dude takes a penny less than $7x7 put the no tax teams in their own league and let them play each other.

Shit is getting absolutely ridiculous

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So the Canes are losing Guentzel, Necas, Pesce, TT, and Skjei so they can * checks notes * resign Seth Jarvis? What a disaster of an off season for a former cup contender.
Disaster? We all knew it’s been coming for years, it’s not a disaster because you just figured it out now. They created a build that had an expiration date, they did it with intention because they know the value of cap space. The last build didn’t get it done and we’re going to reset. I’ll miss Pesce and Necas but the rest just wasn’t meant to be.

Wouldn’t it make sense to wait until a day or two after free agency actually starts before calling it a disaster anyways?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
So the Canes are losing Guentzel, Necas, Pesce, TT, and Skjei so they can * checks notes * resign Seth Jarvis? What a disaster of an off season for a former cup contender.
Multiple Canes fans seem ok with it. This is their model as it was explained to me. They don't overpay. They are efficient. We have a riverboat gambler running the Bolts. Drives me crazy but it is a short drive to begin with

Reactions: bleedgreen

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Agreed, my point is that $7M in Tampa is the same as $8.5M in NY or LA.

Let's wait and see but I can already promise you if he signs in Florida it'll be an egregious number

I have no idea why this is permitted. I somewhat understand how tax laws work, but it seems to be as big of a loophole as Vegas playing the LTIR card.

If you pay CAD salaries in USD to address the exchange rate, why is there not one blanket tax rate for the league?

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
I have no idea why this is permitted. I somewhat understand how tax laws work, but it seems to be as big of a loophole as Vegas playing the LTIR card.

If you pay CAD salaries in USD to address the exchange rate, why is there not one blanket tax rate for the league?
How do you fix it? If you allow for tax related variability in AAV, do you then have to allow for COL variability as well? Cost of insurance? Other fixed costs beyond player or league control?

Crow

May 19, 2014
Agreed, my point is that $7M in Tampa is the same as $8.5M in NY or LA.

Let's wait and see but I can already promise you if he signs in Florida it'll be an egregious number
My gut feeling is that you are off by a factor of two or more with your math. Even a state tax of 10% would only be an 850,000 / 2 (half the game are away) of a difference in tax.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad