Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think da reason they do it is because of the corporate suits who are going for free for wine and cheese .. most know little to nothing about hockey but bring a customer and like to be entertained with goals .. so Leafs bring that to them .. and they keep coming back .. most of us hockey guys who sit up in upper deck don't care about names on back of jerseys but want team to play winning playoff type hockey .. which requires a different roster and CAP pay construction .. i think 4 nations thing is a new name because Russia is out this time around
I just think it is like Rugby where they have the 6 Nations (Bascially Britain, France and Italy).
Which is a good tournament.

At the end, it is best on best, as I doubt any teams will be sending their B squad to the tournament.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm bumping this thread because I'm very happy with what he has done so far today.

This team needed defense and Brad has delivered

Tanev
OEL
Hakanpää, Jani

plus a goaltending upgrade in Stolarz over Sammy and he is an upgrade because it's going to be next to impossible for him to worse than Sammy he would have to go out of his way to try and be worse than Sammy was and even if he did actually go out of his way to try and do that I don't know that he could do that.

you can not like the term on some of the things he did today but there is no question

Rielly Tanev

OEL McCabe

Benoit Lilly/Hakanpää, Jani

LillyHakanpää, Jani
Timmins
Weber

is way better than what we had, that's not up for debate, the defense has been completely remade.

Now I wonder what is next because I don't think Brad is done cooking just yet, According to cap friendly the Leafs are about 794K above the cap, but that's not actually true because cap friendly is including the salaries of Cade Webber, Connor Timmins, and Matt Murray on the roster.

neither of them will be and combined they mke about 2.6 million.

we also know that Robertson has demanded a trade.

the Leafs still have to fill the hole left by Tyler Bertuzii

I wonderr about the future of Lilly even though he was just singed because as of now they have to many NHL bodies on defense

they also have Nick Robertson who has requested a trade.

I wonder if they look to fill Bertuzzi's spot next either via Free agency with a Jeff Skinner or Tarasenko signing or via trade because like I said there are now to many NHL bodies on D.

I don;t think Brad is done quite yet.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Terrible job by Treliving.

Like I said: expensive and stupid. The stupidity kicked in the minute he traded for Tanev's rights. It hasn't stopped since.

With every stupid move compounding the expense.

Why anyone would think signing a couple castoffs from Dallas would be a good idea is beyond me. You know why Dallas doesn't want Tanev and Hakanpaa on the team. Because they're real contenders who want to win now.

Not a pretender contender wasting the fans money on injury prone bottom pairing defensemen.

Nothing has changed since Treliving took over. It's all the same crap. There's been zero flashes of brilliance regarding contracts, cap management, draft pick accumulation, trades, or signings.

It's insane a mediocre team that goes out in the first round every year would make signing a pair of rejects from Dallas a priority.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm bumping this thread because I'm very happy with what he has done so far today.

Tanev
OEL
Hakanpää, Jani

plus a goaltending upgrade in Stolarz over Sammy and he is an upgrade because it's going to be next to impossible for him to worse than Sammy he would have to go out of his way to try and be worse than Sammy was and even if he did actually go out of his way to try and do that I don't know that he could do that.

you can not like the term on some of the things he did today but there is no question

Rielly Tanev

OEL McCabe

LillyHakanpää, Jani
Timmins
Weber

is way better than what we had, that's not up for debate, the defense has been completely remade.

Now I wonder what is next because I don't think Brad is done cooking just yet, According to cap friendly the Leafs are about 794K above the cap, but that's not actually true because cap friendly is including the salaries of Cade Webber, Connor Timmins, and Matt Murray on the roster.

I wonderr about the future of Lilly even though he was just singed because as of now they have to many NHL bodies on defense

I wonder if they look to fill Bertuzzi's spot next either via Free agency with a Jeff Skinner or Tarasenko signing or via trade because like I said there are now to many NHL bodies on D.

Been away for a bit, that happened?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Like I said: expensive and stupid. The stupidity kicked in the minute he traded for Tanev's rights. It hasn't stopped since.

Why anyone would think signing a couple castoffs from Dallas would be a good idea is beyond me. You know why Dallas doesn't want Tanev and Hakanpaa on the team. Because they're real contenders who want to win now.

Not a pretender contender wasting the fans money on injury prone bottom pairing defensemen.

Nothing has changed since Treliving took over. It's all the same crap. There's been zero flashes of brilliance regarding contracts, cap management, draft pick accumulation, trades, or signings.

It's insane a mediocre team that goes out in the first round every year would make signing a pair of rejects from Dallas a priority.

You clearly weren't paying attention because if you were you'd know Dallas tried very hard to keep Tanev they simply couldn't

Reactions: ToneDog

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be calling Nill. With the brother connection, he is probably the most likely GM to over pay. Then I would call Kyle.

I'd call Kyle because I don't think Kyle is very good at his job and can probably get him to overpay.

He talks about wanting to contend before the core retires and then proceeds to make them worse by trading Reilly Smith

Reactions: ToneDog

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Tanev
OEL
Hakanpää, Jani

Rielly Tanev

OEL McCabe

LillyHakanpää, Jani
Timmins
Weber

Bertuzzi was a 'hole', he doesnt need to be replaced because he was useless.
McMaan can take his spot and be much more effective, Robertson can take his spot and be much more effective, heck Cowan can take his spot as a child and be more effective. Bertuzzi on the Leafs was an absolute bust, and single handedly cost us the Boston series with his constant penalties going after Marchand, and always being out of position.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You clearly weren't paying attention because if you were you'd know Dallas tried very hard to keep Tanev they simply couldn't

Yeah I'm sure they tried real hard to keep him for $4.5x6.

He's a much better defenseman than Lidell, Harley, Heiskenan, and Suter. They're top four stinks compared to the Leafs with Rielly and Tanev as top pair. OEL and McCabe are second pairing ffs.

Hakanpaa makes them so much better too.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tanev is a good signing, but OEL…..big question mark, resigning Lilly……big question mark, the Finnish giant……his knee is apparently toast, quite possible he doesn’t play a game for us. So all in all pretty underwhelming rebuild of the D. That being said, at least he didn’t bring back Gio and Brodie, I guess that’s a plus for Pizza Boy…….

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah I'm sure they tried real hard to keep him for $4.5x6.

He's a much better defenseman than Lidell, Harley, Heiskenan, and Suter. They're top four stinks compared to the Leafs with Rielly and Tanev as top pair. OEL and McCabe are second pairing ffs.

Hakanpaa makes them so much better too.

I mean they let Brodie and Bosh walk and replaced them with Tanev, OEL and Hakanpaa.

Yes their defense is objectively better, you don't have to like the term but the fact is, it has been upgraded

Reactions: notDatsyuk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tanev is a good signing, but OEL…..big question mark, resigning Lilly……big question mark, the Finnish giant……his knee is apparently toast, quite possible he doesn’t play a game for us. So all in all pretty underwhelming rebuild of the D. That being said, at least he didn’t bring back Gio and Brodie, I guess that’s a plus for Pizza Boy…….

I don't see OEL as a question mark, I think he will add a lot to this defense, I hate the Lilly contract but that doesn't mean the defense isn't better overall it absolutely is.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't see OEL as a question mark, I think he will add a lot to this defense, I hate the Lilly contract but that doesn't mean the defense isn't better overall it absolutely is.
Well, in all honesty it couldn’t get much worse than last year could it? I’m not sold on whether OEL will shine, maybe you get the guy who played sheltered minutes for Florida, or maybe you get the guy who was pathetic in Vancouver………

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Yeah that rumor of Hakanpaa never playing again comes from Steve Simmons, and when it comes to journalism Steve Simmons is a scumbag piece of shit so I'd be skeptical of ANYTHING he says.

Well, in all honesty it couldn’t get much worse than last year could it? I’m not sold on whether OEL will shine, maybe you get the guy who played sheltered minutes for Florida, or maybe you get the guy who was pathetic in Vancouver………

When he was acqired Vancouver was run by Jim Benning it wasn't a well run team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah that rumor of Hakanpaa never playing again comes from Steve Simmons, and when it comes to journalism Steve Simmons is a scumbag piece of shit so I'd be skeptical of ANYTHING he says.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire, I hope it’s all BS too, but why wouldn’t Dallas resign him then? One way or the other the truth will be revealed in the upcoming season……..

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Time will tell, but I'm very happy with how our summer has started. I think management has made good moves to address critical needs on the team. Tre said himself that there is a lot more work to do so I expect them to continue to be active.

Also, interesting that when asked about Marner, Treliving didn't come out and say "we aren't trading him". Only that he didn't have updates and that Marner is training (as any NHLer would be).

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Neither is Toronto, so what’s your point?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Team couldn’t score in the playoffs. Did we add anyone that can add offense?

Tanev is fine, but that term is ugly.

OEL is meh, seems like he had his resurgence last year, maybe he mails it now.

Hanky Panky is pretty useless.

$3 mil for Liligren is gross. Might have a $6 mil dollar bottom pairing. Not ideal

Liked the Stolarz signing.

Lots of summer to go, but so far, not impressed at all

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Team couldn’t score in the playoffs. Did we add anyone that can add offense?

Tanev is fine, but that term is ugly.

OEL is meh, seems like he had his resurgence last year, maybe he mails it now.

Hanky Panky is pretty useless.

$3 mil for Liligren is gross. Might have a $6 mil dollar bottom pairing. Not ideal

Liked the Stolarz signing.

Lots of summer to go, but so far, not impressed at all
In a world where top pairing defenseman are getting 7+ million, 6 million for two bottom pair players is about right.

Reactions: Buds17

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Since you are such an expert, why haven't you sent Pelley your resume? If you did I am sure he would be tripping over himself to hire you, based on your obvious genius and vast NHL experience, and then we could all bask in the glory of watching you lead the team to the Cup next year and create a perpetual dynasty.

So come on, step up or shut up. Send Pelley that resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad