Confirmed with Link: Juuse Saros Extended

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but, It's irrelevant (Move/trade) for this season and the details of his contract doesn't actually have to be finalized right now.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but, It's irrelevant (Move/trade) for this season and the details of his contract doesn't actually have to be finalized right now.
The details of his contract already have been finalized, they wouldn't announce it all if it wasn't. Both sides are aware of the details.

It's irrelevant from an NHL/player perspective, since that contract is not going to be tradeable right now, regardless of the clauses. There is no team looking for a goalie, and no team taking Saros for 9 years.

The relevancy is to us as fans looking to praise/critique the contract, to speculate about how it might affect our future. That's all.

Reactions: hockey diva

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
6 year NMC for Saros? Oooooof. Trotz did you actually, you know, negotiate with his camp? Welp I guess Askarov is pretty much guaranteed to be gone at some point now.

MadMax5150

Mar 28, 2024
I get not trading Saros now since the team is loading up for a possible run, his serving up the occasional stinker of a game notwithstanding. But I'm not gonna lie, I really want to see Askarov between the pipes again. He may never be NHL quality but he sure is fun to watch.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
That NMC has to be the kiss of death for Askarov. There's absolute no way to justify NOT moving him when you have essentially blocked his way for the next seven years.

Trotz said he has gotten a lot of calls on Askarov which means the interest is high on him. I'd strongly suggest moving him now to help our current three-year Cup window with an ELC player which we badly need in a cap crunch.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
That NMC has to be the kiss of death for Askarov. There's absolute no way to justify NOT moving him when you have essentially blocked his way for the next seven years.

Trotz said he has gotten a lot of calls on Askarov which means the interest is high on him. I'd strongly suggest moving him now to help our current three-year Cup window with an ELC player which we badly need in a cap crunch.
We don't know what other teams are offering at the moment for an unproven Askarov.

It may be in our best intrest to get him more NHL games under his belt. There's obviously a risk where he's a total bust and we get nothing, but if the offers right now aren't good enough, then that's a risk I think we should take.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
If Askarov is good enough to take the job, Saros would waive his NMC to get to a place he could still play.....I doubt a competitive athlete is happy to sit on the bench 65 games if they think they can A) start somewhere B) knows there is only so much time to play before father time catches you and makes A unattainable. Guys will waive to play.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Remember when the Preds never handed out NMC/NTC/etc.? Then they sort of dipped their toes in the water? Poile remembers. I appreciate his knack for being the best at just making the playoffs but he only had one good run. Only made it to the WCF once which happened to be the same season we made the SCF. So basically everything "big" happened all at once since the franchise has been in existence.

So yeah I'm not super happy about all of these NMCs being handed out but I definitely look forward to seeing how trying something completely different works out. It seems the (most likely) worst thing that can happen in the next 2-3 years is we'll just keep getting bounced in the first round, par for the course. But 3+ years from now? Who knows. Worry about it then.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
6 year NMC for Saros? Oooooof. Trotz did you actually, you know, negotiate with his camp? Welp I guess Askarov is pretty much guaranteed to be gone at some point now.
It’s actually the full 8 years of NMC. Just the trade protection portion is reduced to a 15- team list in the last 2 years.

I think we have to agree that some Expansion will occur within 9 years, so indeed that is a bit of a nail in the coffin for Askarov here.

Although I still want to see what the NHL would say if we gave BOTH goalies NMCs. :naughty:

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It’s actually the full 8 years of NMC. Just the trade protection portion is reduced to a 15- team list in the last 2 years.

I think we have to agree that some Expansion will occur within 9 years, so indeed that is a bit of a nail in the coffin for Askarov here.

Although I still want to see what the NHL would say if we gave BOTH goalies NMCs. :naughty:
Yeah I always wondered what happened in that situation.

That said the one smart thing Trotz did with that contract was set it up so that starting in year 5 it would be something you could buy out. If you notice he gave him some bonuses early, but they balance around so that Saros is almost making just a straight salary from that point on. If it had been bonus heavy you couldn't even do that as an option.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Remember when the Preds never handed out NMC/NTC/etc.? Then they sort of dipped their toes in the water? Poile remembers. I appreciate his knack for being the best at just making the playoffs but he only had one good run. Only made it to the WCF once which happened to be the same season we made the SCF. So basically everything "big" happened all at once since the franchise has been in existence.

So yeah I'm not super happy about all of these NMCs being handed out but I definitely look forward to seeing how trying something completely different works out. It seems the (most likely) worst thing that can happen in the next 2-3 years is we'll just keep getting bounced in the first round, par for the course. But 3+ years from now? Who knows. Worry about it then.
I had many issues with Poile over his time with the Preds but his holding a hard line against most NMC/NTC was something I always appreciated. In the grand scheme of things I guess it was a super small element of running the team, but for whatever reason that's something I admired about his GM performance.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I had many issues with Poile over his time with the Preds but his holding a hard line against most NMC/NTC was something I always appreciated. In the grand scheme of things I guess it was a super small element of running the team, but for whatever reason that's something I admired about his GM performance.
Well the thing with Poile, both good and bad at times, he was always looking 3-4 years down the road. So these contracts would have never happened under his tenure because there is too much risk of future expansion. If something happens and the NHL expands in year 3 of these, its going to suck, and suck hard.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well the thing with Poile, both good and bad at times, he was always looking 3-4 years down the road. So these contracts would have never happened under his tenure because there is too much risk of future expansion. If something happens and the NHL expands in year 3 of these, its going to suck, and suck hard.
We don't play our young up-n-comers anyway. :sarcasm:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
And yet, you can only lose one player. You all are a really uptight bunch.
I do agree that a fairly casual fan could just say, who cares if we lose/waste/blow a 1st round draft pick, even a #11 overall pick. It's not like it hasn't happened before. And you can just still go to Preds games or watch the team do stuff, and never have a care in the world about such details.

Whereas I think what some people here are doing, is getting invested at a different level. It may or may not be any truly "better" level in any existential sense. But potentially unnecessarily relegating a #11 overall pick to purgatory does bother some fans who follow the game at that level. Or at least creates a topic that those people want to talk about. Call it "uptight" if you want, but it just makes you seem kind of "casual" and disinterested to me. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I do agree that a fairly casual fan could just say, who cares if we lose/waste/blow a 1st round draft pick, even a #11 overall pick. It's not like it hasn't happened before. And you can just still go to Preds games or watch the team do stuff, and never have a care in the world about such details.

Whereas I think what some people here are doing, is getting invested at a different level. It may or may not be any truly "better" level in any existential sense. But potentially unnecessarily relegating a #11 overall pick to purgatory does bother some fans who follow the game at that level. Or at least creates a topic that those people want to talk about. Call it "uptight" if you want, but it just makes you seem kind of "casual" and disinterested to me. :dunno:
I agree, if that's the approach we are taking then why bother with a message board? I mean why not trade Forsberg, or Josi, or why sign Stamkos or Marchessault, they are just one player, why does it matter?

It matters because we aren't just casual fans. If you want that take then just stick to Facebook where they cheer everything that is done because " the GM knows best ".

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I would 100% have walked away from Saros on these contract terms, fwiw. It's inconceivable to me that we couldn't have hard-balled him down from these things. Especially the 8-year NMC. The AAV, whatever, he hasn't really earned it, but if you like the guy it's sort of "who cares" to give him an extra $1M. The NMC is the ultimate killer on this one. Trotz can't just keep handing those out like candy. We will soon be in roster gridlock.

1720294807266.png

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I would 100% have walked away from Saros on these contract terms, fwiw. It's inconceivable to me that we couldn't have hard-balled him down from these things. Especially the 8-year NMC. The AAV, whatever, he hasn't really earned it, but if you like the guy it's sort of "who cares" to give him an extra $1M. The NMC is the ultimate killer on this one. Trotz can't just keep handing those out like candy. We will soon be in roster gridlock.

View attachment 892911
I can't say any of it surprised me but handing out a contract extension with NMC on the first possible day is not a great look IMO in that situation. I have no issue with the AAV though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess one thing that could flip the equation for me is if the Preds braintrust has looked at Askarov and simply concluded he's not EVER going to be an NHL starter. It's not impossible... the player does have a lot of work to do, still. They are watching him closely. If they just think he can't take the requisite steps to improve, then that would be a very different case than what many of us here are thinking. :dunno:

And needless to say, they can't ever admit that publicly.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I can't say any of it surprised me but handing out a contract extension with NMC on the first possible day is not a great look IMO in that situation. I have no issue with the AAV though.
So in other words you don't like that they got it done way before July 1st?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The Saros contract is like the Stamkos, Skjei and Marchessault contracts. They all can potentially hamstring the hell out of us. But if we play too hard with Saros and he walks after next year then we are trying to win in our two or three year window with an unproven goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad