Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CAR] Jake Guentzel for 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is this correct?
Can you still sign him for 8 years? I’m pretty sure once he becomes a ufa that’s gone right?
No, this isn't correct. Only the team that had him at the latest TDL can sign him for 8 years. So Tampa Bay can't, not today, not tomorrow.

But if someone now filed an 8 year SPC signed by JG and the Carolina Hurricanes to the NHL Central Registry and told them, yeah, it was signed before the trade...

Reactions: DaveG

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa been consistently aggressive in their approach to win. I think most can at least applaud that even tho not everyone agrees with how they've done that and I understand that.

mrdomino

Begrudgingly, a Canucks fan
Oct 13, 2020
9.25 per season, no taxes? Sounds about right and good for him.
They get paid where they play, so only half the games have no income tax deducted.

Tampa been consistently aggressive in their approach to win. I think most can at least applaud that even tho not everyone agrees with how they've done that and I understand that.
After a few cups, I think Stamkos deserved to get the bag for the tail end of his career in Tampa and I think it's kind of sad he's probably leaving.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They get paid where they play, so only half the games have no income tax deducted.

After a few cups, I think Stamkos deserved to get the bag for the tail end of his career in Tampa and I think it's kind of sad he's probably leaving.
Plus 2.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is Skjei definitely gone? Feels like he’d be worth keeping at this point

Last update was that they were going to try again, but that he was probably leaving.

His handedness is awkward long-term. Slavin is a LHD. Nikishin, one of the best prospects in the world, is a LHD. Someone would have to play their offside full time.

Roy would be really interesting as a RHD of the right style. Absent that, maybe revert to their long-term average allocation at the position; ~$6 mil is plenty for a bottom pairing and a spare.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Be hilarious if Guentzel doesn’t sign there and Tanev doesn’t sign in TO. Gonna be some salty fans on here tomorrow.

I am hoping Tanev doesn't sign in TO as a Leafs fan... at least not at the AAV and term I expect him to get.

I think a lot of Leafs fans are the same.

I think a 3rd for Guentzel if he doesn't sign is a steep price though.

Reactions: Devonator

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
and yet they’re letting a great player who they moved significant assets for walk because they don’t want to pay him what he deserves

So yeah, cheap
A great player who is 34 years old, was -21 at even strength, and did not play well until the Lightning made it clear they would not negotiate until after the season ended and he and his agent realized he was playing for what may very well be the final contract of his career as a UFA.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Considering Florida just to back to back Stanley cup finals that’s a pretty good goal..

This isn’t Pittsburgh..

Kucherov - 31
Vasilevskiy - 29
Guentzel - 29
Point - 28
Cirelli - 26
Hagel - 25..

Add Geekie, Isaac Howard

I'm not saying they're not going to be competitive. Very much so. But their SC window is over. Reminds me of those periods where Chicago and LA dominated, and then slowed down.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A great player who is 34 years old, was -21 at even strength, and did not play well until the Lightning made it clear they would not negotiate until after the season ended and he and his agent realized he was playing for what may very well be the final contract of his career as a UFA.

Pretty sure that post was about Guentzel and Carolina

I'm not saying they're not going to be competitive. Very much so. But their SC window is over. Reminds me of those periods where Chicago and LA dominated, and then slowed down.

I think if Vasi can be elite again there’s no reason they can’t win again with the right tweaks

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
JBB likes doing things that become trends...a 3rd is the highest anyone has paid for rights, I wonder if one day someone will trade a 1st for negotiating rights.

IMO, Tampa's window is closing. JBB seems desperate to be no. 1 in F

Pretty sure that post was about Guentzel and Carolina

I think if Vasi can be elite again there’s no reason they can’t win again with the right tweaks
My bad then.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I agree. As good as Kucherov, Hedman and Vasi are they just can’t beat the very top teams imo. Still a playoff team.

Reactions: Bubbles

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Disaster? We all knew it’s been coming for years, it’s not a disaster because you just figured it out now. They created a build that had an expiration date, they did it with intention because they know the value of cap space. The last build didn’t get it done and we’re going to reset. I’ll miss Pesce and Necas but the rest just wasn’t meant to be.

Wouldn’t it make sense to wait until a day or two after free agency actually starts before calling it a disaster anyways?
It would make sense to wait a day or two if not for the fact that the best FA available is the one you just gave away.
They have upwards of $28 mil to spend and they will. Other players are coming in. Tomorrow will be interesting.
And who are they bringing in exactly that's better than just resigning Pesce, Gunetzel, and Necas? Especially the first two.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Last update was that they were going to try again, but that he was probably leaving.

His handedness is awkward long-term. Slavin is a LHD. Nikishin, one of the best prospects in the world, is a LHD. Someone would have to play their offside full time.

Roy would be really interesting as a RHD of the right style. Absent that, maybe revert to their long-term average allocation at the position; ~$6 mil is plenty for a bottom pairing and a spare.

Forgot about Nikishin. Slavin and Skjei is a good 1-2 combo on the left side but I guess the contract could be a problem down the line if Nikishin takes that spot

It would make sense to wait a day or two if not for the fact that the best FA available is the one you just gave away.

And who are they bringing in exactly that's better than just resigning Pesce, Gunetzel, and Necas? Especially the first two.

I mean they still have Necas and if he’s traded he’ll get something in return. Pesce seemed on the decline this year. If they go after Roy that doesn’t really make them worse. Guentzel loss hurts but they were already a good team before him.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

No guarantee that Necas gets moved. He can want out, but RFA is team control for a reason. His arbitration case hurts him more than it hurts Carolina.

Guentzel was a move to put the team over the top. They competed for the President's Trophy yearly before he arrived. Now that he's not locked in to the long-term core via an NMC, the door opens to sign or make a trade for a different star forward in the future. Maybe someone that actually improves a woeful playoff PP (he didn't).

Pesce hurts, but they might sign a Roy/Tanev or maybe they just see upside in Chatfield. I've grown to give their pro scouting decisions the benefit of the doubt.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Yeah I agree. As good as Kucherov, Hedman and Vasi are they just can’t beat the very top teams imo. Still a playoff team.
For me, there's a difference between SC contenders and playoff teams.

Whatever the mix of players works, and they have a 3-4 year window where they are legit contenders. Players get expensive, and the whole chemistry changes.

You may see TB make a run 3-4 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad