Proposal: Tb - Tor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Almost everyone agrees the deal doesn't make sense for either team.

Tampa is trying to win a Cup now. They are very unlikely to trade one of their top players for someone that they hope will develop into a top player in 2 or 3 years.

Toronto is not trying to win a Cup now. Sacrificing the early, cheap years of a potentially great prospect for a guy who will have a large contract right now doesn't make any sense, and especially when the team wants him to develop into their long-term #2 centre.

BTW - having watched many of his games for the Leafs last year - Nylander is absolutely a centre in the NHL. It doesn't mean he can't or won't play the wing at times, but in his first 22 or so games he already looked comfortable there and was rarely overmatched.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
And Kucherov is miles better and made the injury of a top 10 center look like a minimal loss.

Also the KHL comment it just terrible. There have been no indication and the chances of him going to the KHL are probably 1 in a billion. Dude oozes with talent and will sign with Tampa. In the off chance he gets traded he will sign there because they would offer him a healthy contract

Oh now that he signed back with you guys, he's a top 10 center again eh?

Just a few months ago he wasn't a top 30 center. Interesting.

Toronto declines hard. You can't build your team around a high skilled winger especially trading a potential number one center to do it. This reaks of the Kessel trade without Kessel level talent coming back

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Yet another thread inflating Nylander's current value. Kucherov is proven and is money in the playoffs. Nylander is an outstanding prospect that is yet unproven but fits right into Leafs timeleine to return to being a good team. Can't imagine either team thinking of moving these guys

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
Kucherov is getting old and could completely fall apart any day now. Add in the fact that he's a Russian and there are clear risks for the Leafs to acquire him. Nylander on the other hand is a franchise player who I expect to regularly hit 100. He has so much more room to grow and time is on his side. Tampa could add Johnson to the deal and it's still a easy no.

Oct 18, 2011
Nylander has grown so much as a prospect within the last two years and he could be better than kucherov in the next two years. The last thing I want to see leafs management do is trade a player before we know what we have in them, like we have done so many times in the past. For this reason, leafs pass.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Leaf fans have got to start watching other teams, Kucherov is one of the elite wings in the league

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Toronto declines hard. You can't build your team around a high skilled winger especially trading a potential number one center to do it. This reaks of the Kessel trade without Kessel level talent coming back

I don't think that guy's a TB fan.

I am. Stamkos is not a top 10 center. Kucherov is the better player right now.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...oing-put-nylander-matthews-together-can-work/

Every tangible thing we have on Nylander points to him being a centre: he played it in the SHL, he played it in the AHL, and has now played it so far in the NHL.

Nylander and Matthews will likely both end up as the Leafs top two centres long term, with Kadri sliding down to the third line.

Would you be surprised, if Matthews and Nylander clicked this year and showed some chemistry, to see Nylander slotted in long term as Matthews winger?

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
Yet another thread inflating Nylander's current value. Kucherov is proven and is money in the playoffs. Nylander is an outstanding prospect that is yet unproven but fits right into Leafs timeleine to return to being a good team. Can't imagine either team thinking of moving these guys

Current value is linked to future potential.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Not a TB fan, and call Stamkos whatever you want, top 10, top 15 top 20 whatever. The point is Stamkos is damn good and Kucherov made his injury seem like a minimal loss. Dude stepped up and killed it.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

With his size and defensive limitations, I'm pretty sure Babcock will have him playing on the wing this season and quite likely going forward.

You've clearly never watched him play. And size limitations ? Have you seen the guy lately he's huge and isn't even that short

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad