Proposal: Tb - Tor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
A Habs fan is going to tell me whats going on after watching Nylander play what? 2-3 games?

Nylander is a center long term, just because Galchenyuk is misused doesn't mean Nylander will be.

Galchenyuk is misused as a centre? You think he should be on the wing?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Galchenyuk is misused as a centre? You think he should be on the wing?

How can he play center if he started in the league at wing? Or is it just because you dont like toronto that Nylander isnt capable of also playing center after playing on the wing?

Oh, thats even though Nylander has actually played at center in the NHL, while being sound defensively and putting up a reasonable rate of points. But dont let the fact that you havent watched him play and are talking out of your ass (as per usual) ruin your "objective" opinion.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Anybody who's been watching him knows he better suited to centre. Sure, he'll start out at wing, like many before him. As for the size comment, you maybe had a point in 2014. Pretty terrible insight overall on your part.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I think, at 5'11, 190 pounds, you might not see his long term future up the middle. That size certainly doesn't preclude him from play centre,many do, but Nylander isn't particularly physical and I think he might be better suited on the wing, where he's not drawing assignments against bigger and stronger players.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He's played centre his entire pro career - and Babcock has said he'll be sharing centre duties with Matthews on the same line, at least to start this season.

I hadn't seen a quote from Babcock saying that, and if he did say that, I suspect he will change his tune.

I don't think it would benefit Matthews at all to be shuffled from centre to the wing. He has the skill set - and the defensive awareness - to start in the NHL up the middle. I don't see any benefit to the Maple Leafs in shifting him to the wing and I think it would unnecessarily mess with the chemistry between Matthews and Nylander if he intends them to be line mates to shuffle them back and forth up the middle.

I think if the Leafs hadn't drafted first overall, you'd be seeing Kadri and Nylander at centre, but with Matthews now in the picture, I think the Leafs will seriously look at Nylander on the wing instead, which, physically at least, I think might be wise.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Yeah, except when the playoffs come around, he's right there with the top players in the game.

I don't believe Kucherov is a top-ten or even top-twenty player in the league. But he's pretty obviously the best forward on the Lightning right now. Just saying, if you're predicting your third best forward is going to be clearly better than the Lightning's best forward, and a guy who's been a playoff hero in back-to-back years, that's pretty hefty.

Do I think Nylander has the potential to be better than Kucherov? Yes.

Do I think Kucherov is a really good player? Yes.

These are not mutually exclusive statements. But based on performance and trajectory since their draft years; I personally believe Nylander in his prime will be better than Kucherov in his prime. Sure there is always a chance Nylander doesn't reach his potential, but I am willing to risk that based on all currently available information.

Anyone who dismisses the fact that Nylander has dominated at every level he has played at (as a center), and started off at a 40pt pace in the NHL as a 19yr old (as a centre), is just a hater. They aren't actually bringing anything relevant to the conversation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do I think Nylander has the potential to be better than Kucherov? Yes.

Do I think Kucherov is a really good player? Yes.

These are not mutually exclusive statements. But based on performance and trajectory since their draft years; I personally believe Nylander in his prime will be better than Kucherov in his prime. Sure there is always a chance Nylander doesn't reach his potential, but I am willing to risk that based on all currently available information.

Anyone who dismisses the fact that Nylander has dominated at every level he has played at (as a center), and started off at a 40pt pace in the NHL as a 19yr old (as a centre), is just a hater. They aren't actually bringing anything relevant to the conversation.

I'm not dismissing Nylander in any way. I'm just saying it might be time for Leaf fans to pump the brakes if they think they're going to have three of the top 30 forwards in the NHL. It just never works out that way.

For instance, saying he's going to score 80 points as a 2C just doesn't seem realistic at all. Not just for Nylander. For anybody other than maybe Evgeni Malkin.

TB led the league in goals in 2014/2015, and NEITHER of their top two centers scored 80. There's only so much scoring to go around. A Mike Babcock team isn't going to turn into the 1980s Oilers.

Last edited:

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
I'm not dismissing Nylander in any way. I'm just saying it might be time for Leaf fans to pump the brakes if they think they're going to have three of the top 30 forwards in the NHL. It just never works out that way.

For instance, saying he's going to score 80 points as a 2C just doesn't seem realistic at all. Not just for Nylander. For anybody other than maybe Evgeni Malkin.

TB led the league in goals in 2014 and 2015, and NEITHER of their top two centers scored 80. There's only so much scoring to go around. A Mike Babcock team isn't going to turn into the 1980s Oilers.

I'm down with pumping the breaks. The odds that all 3 of Toronto's top prospects are going to reach their max potential is not very high. But if any of the fan bases that keep dismissing Nylander had him as prospect, they would be losing their minds any time he was put in a trade proposal. And they'd be quoting all the same stats Leafs fans do.

If the Leafs and TB swapped Kucherov and Nylander, there is NO WAY Tampa fans would even remotely consider trading Nylander for a 66pt forward. None. Nada.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'm down with pumping the breaks. The odds that all 3 of Toronto's top prospects are going to reach their max potential is not very high. But if any of the fan bases that keep dismissing Nylander had him as prospect, they would be losing their minds any time he was put in a trade proposal. And they'd be quoting all the same stats Leafs fans do.

If the Leafs and TB swapped Kucherov and Nylander, there is NO WAY Tampa fans would even remotely consider trading Nylander for a 66pt forward. None. Nada.

It's a real shame that Nylander has potential and Kucherov doesn't.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So basically the leafs learn nothing of the previous regimes errors?

trading a top prospect who could develop into a #1C + another 1st rd prospect for a winger who just potted 30G....this sounds familiar lol.

I think both teams pass, it doesnt make sense for a rebuilding team to trade young guys and prospects and it doesnt make sense for cup contending tampa to lose a top line winger

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

TB led the league in goals in 2014 and 2015, and NEITHER of their top two centers scored 80. There's only so much scoring to go around. A Mike Babcock team isn't going to turn into the 1980s Oilers.

except when chicago (Toews,Kane,Keith) or Pittsburgh (Crosby,Malkin,Letang) does it though right?

before trading Hall the oilers could have easily had three top 30 in the future (McDavid,Hall,Puljujarvi). the leafs have every right to be excited. when was the last time they had the #1 prospect, let alone 3 guys in the top 10?

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
It's a real shame that Nylander has potential and Kucherov doesn't.

Not really what I was arguing, but sure, Kucherov has potential. I would argue that Nylander has more and that were the roles reversed, Tampa fans wouldn't make the trade. If you feel otherwise, feel free to explain why.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
wait 5'11, 190 is too small to be a center even though nylanders closer to 200.... sucks to be a bunch of current nhl centers then.....

op, both sides pass, tampa is in win now mode, whereas both kappy and nylander wont hit there stride till 2-3 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hadn't seen a quote from Babcock saying that, and if he did say that, I suspect he will change his tune.

I don't think it would benefit Matthews at all to be shuffled from centre to the wing. He has the skill set - and the defensive awareness - to start in the NHL up the middle. I don't see any benefit to the Maple Leafs in shifting him to the wing and I think it would unnecessarily mess with the chemistry between Matthews and Nylander if he intends them to be line mates to shuffle them back and forth up the middle.

I think if the Leafs hadn't drafted first overall, you'd be seeing Kadri and Nylander at centre, but with Matthews now in the picture, I think the Leafs will seriously look at Nylander on the wing instead, which, physically at least, I think might be wise.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...oing-put-nylander-matthews-together-can-work/

Every tangible thing we have on Nylander points to him being a centre: he played it in the SHL, he played it in the AHL, and has now played it so far in the NHL.

Nylander and Matthews will likely both end up as the Leafs top two centres long term, with Kadri sliding down to the third line.

Mr Hockey*

Its possible Nylander gets close to Kucherov this season in points as a center, leafs will pass on this deal.

You seem to be living in fantasy land. Hope it's treating you well.

wtf lol ... ok, i am bored so lets have some fun,I think its right :laugh:

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - TOI 332.64 - CF60 - 58.62 - CA60 - 54.65 - CS% 51.75
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - TOI 112.68 - CF60 - 66.56 - CA60 - 44.73 - CS% 59.81

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - SF60 29.76 - SA60 30.30 -SF% 49.55
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - SF60 34.08 - SA60 24.49 -SF% 58.18

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - xGF60 2.36 - xGA60 2.20 xGF% 51.75
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - xGF60 2.57 - xGA60 1.44 xGF% 64.05

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - SCF60 7.03 - SCA60 7.22 SCF% 49.37
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - SCF60 6.92 - SCA60 2.66 SCF% 72.22

http://www.corsica.hockey

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I'm gonna remember this post. I'm confident Nylander will get over 50 pts this year. I think he will get more points than Matthews and Marner

I will bet you 100 bucks that he doesn't get 50 points.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
except when chicago (Toews,Kane,Keith) or Pittsburgh (Crosby,Malkin,Letang) does it though right?

before trading Hall the oilers could have easily had three top 30 in the future (McDavid,Hall,Puljujarvi). the leafs have every right to be excited. when was the last time they had the #1 prospect, let alone 3 guys in the top 10?

I said forwards.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Hahaha oh wow.

I am not trading Kucherov for a player that one day might be as good as him, and another that could bring half of what he brings if all universes align.

Kucherov is a superstar in the league, and only going to get better, not trading him unless a superior player comes back (and I can think of very few)... and none in the leafs are better than him

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
wtf lol ... ok, i am bored so lets have some fun,I think its right :laugh:

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - TOI 332.64 - CF60 - 58.62 - CA60 - 54.65 - CS% 51.75
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - TOI 112.68 - CF60 - 66.56 - CA60 - 44.73 - CS% 59.81

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - SF60 29.76 - SA60 30.30 -SF% 49.55
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - SF60 34.08 - SA60 24.49 -SF% 58.18

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - xGF60 2.36 - xGA60 2.20 xGF% 51.75
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - xGF60 2.57 - xGA60 1.44 xGF% 64.05

JOHNSON - KUCHEROV - PALAT - SCF60 7.03 - SCA60 7.22 SCF% 49.37
HYMAN - NYLANDER - PARENTEAU - SCF60 6.92 - SCA60 2.66 SCF% 72.22

http://www.corsica.hockey

Not sure if serious, are you really comparing them?
I guess with those numbers you would take hyman, nylander and parenteau over the triplets right?
All for you, while the other 99.9999% of the world will take the superior line... by the way, a line that brought one team to the stanley cup final and the conference finals and the other that ended up a bottom 5 team in the league

Jul 10, 2003
KW
You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I think, at 5'11, 190 pounds, you might not see his long term future up the middle. That size certainly doesn't preclude him from play centre,many do, but Nylander isn't particularly physical and I think he might be better suited on the wing, where he's not drawing assignments against bigger and stronger players.

He's of similar size to Crosby, who happens to be the best centre in the world (in case you never heard of him). You have no point here. Move along jealous one.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
I guess with those numbers you would take hyman, nylander and parenteau over the triplets right?
All for you, while the other 99.9999% of the world will take the superior line... by the way, a line that brought one team to the stanley cup final and the conference finals and the other that ended up a bottom 5 team in the league

A single line doesn't turn a bottom 5 team into a contender.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

You keep saying 66 points like it was the end of it but Kucherov is definitely an above average 2 way forward, he's also a puck possession freak and a tremendous playoffs performer (0.9 pts per game). As a solid playoffs contender, Tampa has his best forward finding another gear exactly when it needs to.

In the end it's quite understandable why Toronto should keep Nylander, period but let's not forget that Kucherov is really a versatile and mentally strong player.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
You keep saying 66 points like it was the end of it but Kucherov is definitely an above average 2 way forward, he's also a puck possession freak and a tremendous playoffs performer (0.9 pts per game). As a solid playoffs contender, Tampa has his best forward finding another gear exactly when it needs to.

In the end it's quite understandable why Toronto should keep Nylander, period but let's not forget that Kucherov is really a versatile and mentally strong player.

Kucherov is a great player and I would love to have him on Toronto. He's only 23 and has room to grow.

Mr Hockey*

Its possible Nylander gets close to Kucherov this season in points as a center, leafs will pass on this deal.

You seem to be living in fantasy land. Hope it's treating you well.

I just showed Nylander's offensive potential and again its possible Nylander gets close to Kucherov this season in points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad