Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I wonder if the Tanev contract is an indication he’s getting term with a hand shake agreement to eventually move to Robidas Island.
He is such a conservative, no-risk guy that I am pretty sure he will take a longer-term contract at a very under-market number for the sake of staying here.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
just watch how much C cost on market

62 pts horvat 8,5M

57 pts injury prone Monahan 5,5M

76 pts scheifele 8,5

37 to 40 y/o malkin 6,1M

57 pts Lindholm 7,75M

kadri 7M until 38

that's the ufa market

If Jt resign at 4-5M for like 3/ year, it would be a home discount and pretty great deal for toronto
I’d take every single one of those players on those contracts over JT at 4-5, but before anyone says it, yes I know I don’t own the leafs, I’m just saying what I want then to do.

The guy is a plug in the playoffs. 3 points in the last 12 playoff games. 24 in 38 as a leaf. He’s a 3C for us in the playoffs and a 4C the last two series’s.

We have done Jack shit, and yet are not only content, but overly excited to keep the same group together. If Marner isn’t gone, then Tavares has to be

Let him walk, sign anyone to fill his role and I bet almost any replacement is better than him

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
What I find ridiculous is that people want to move on from a guy who clearly wants to be in Toronto, rather than negotiate a team friendly deal and simply move that guy down the depth chart into the 3C role and use the money that you saved to add a 2C in his prime. We're acting like John Tavares is not going to continue to be a 50+ point center and an excellent face-off man for several more years.

Extend him 4 x $4.0 million and move him into a 15-16'ish minute per night 3C role, with pp minutes. Use a portion of the $7.0 million you're saving to add a 2C.

Head into 2025 as follows...

1C: Matthews
2C: Addition
3C: Tavares
4C: Holmberg or Addition

$7.0 million from Tavares + $2.4 million from Kampf gives you $9.4 million to add a 2C, 4C and pay for Knies' raise. As long as you add a quality 2C, you become objectively deep at the center position for several years to come.

Sep 18, 2009
What I find ridiculous is that people want to move on from a guy who clearly wants to be in Toronto, rather than negotiate a team friendly deal and simply move that guy down the depth chart into the 3C role and use the money that you saved to add a 2C in his prime. We're acting like John Tavares is not going to continue to be a 50+ point center and an excellent face-off man for several more years.

Extend him 4 x $4.0 million and move him into a 15-16'ish minute per night 3C role, with pp minutes. Use a portion of the $7.0 million you're saving to add a 2C.

Head into 2025 as follows...

1C: Matthews
2C: Addition
3C: Tavares
4C: Holmberg or Addition

$7.0 million from Tavares + $2.4 million from Kampf gives you $9.4 million to add a 2C, 4C and pay for Knies' raise. As long as you add a quality 2C, you become objectively deep at the center position for several years to come.
I want to change the recipe if you can't stand the heat you gotta stay out of the kitchen

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Some of the folks on here come across as so entitled… not even the bitter Islander fans who trashed JT when he left NY, hold a candle to the whining and crying of these guys.

I can’t imagine how embarrassing it would be to go to a Leaf game with these whiners.

I’m looking forward to JT having a solid season with some of the spotlight moved off him and extend his stay here on a team friendly deal.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think JT has "earned" the right to retire here. He's only a franchise legend for signing the contract here and having the photo of the Leafs bedsheets. He's been an effective player for most of his contract, but was a failure as a leader and as a core piece. We have zero obligation to him with regards to where he finishes his career, he's just not that long-serving nor achieved the glorious highs that grant such veneration. He's been Captain over what is one of the most disappointing eras in franchise history. We owe him nothing.

The only considerations at play here are the value that he can bring as a hockey player with a market/under-market contract, and the importance of a core shakeup. He's still a capable offensive threat, though much reduced at 5on5 from his heyday, and will at least consider signing a cheap deal with us. Good stuff. But on the other hand, if we bring him back, absolutely nothing about this core other than the coach, contract structure, and letters on jerseys have changed. Zero accountability, zero core turnover, zero guts in management to actually make a player decision. @Suntouchable13 says it on the first page, if JT stays this place is a country club.

My own two cents is that the country club must be avoided at all costs (it already is one, but we need to change that). I can live with 2y x 2m, but I'd much prefer that we just wave goodbye, give him a nice little tribute video when he comes back, and move on with reshaping the core. In reality, we'll probably give him something stupid like the Marleau deal, which will age just as well and cause the exact same problems, just with way more baggage and way less intestinal fortitude.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I’d take every single one of those players on those contracts over JT at 4-5, but before anyone says it, yes I know I don’t own the leafs, I’m just saying what I want then to do.

The guy is a plug in the playoffs. 3 points in the last 12 playoff games. 24 in 38 as a leaf. He’s a 3C for us in the playoffs and a 4C the last two series’s.

We have done Jack shit, and yet are not only content, but overly excited to keep the same group together. If Marner isn’t gone, then Tavares has to be

Let him walk, sign anyone to fill his role and I bet almost any replacement is better than him

Agree.

I can only add a suggestion to trade Marner and JT together! Package deal, give me 2 1st rounders back and I'll be happy.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I don't think JT has "earned" the right to retire here. He's only a franchise legend for signing the contract here and having the photo of the Leafs bedsheets. He's been an effective player for most of his contract, but was a failure as a leader and as a core piece. We have zero obligation to him with regards to where he finishes his career, he's just not that long-serving nor achieved the glorious highs that grant such veneration. He's been Captain over what is one of the most disappointing eras in franchise history. We owe him nothing.

The only considerations at play here are the value that he can bring as a hockey player with a market/under-market contract, and the importance of a core shakeup. He's still a capable offensive threat, though much reduced at 5on5 from his heyday, and will at least consider signing a cheap deal with us. Good stuff. But on the other hand, if we bring him back, absolutely nothing about this core other than the coach, contract structure, and letters on jerseys have changed. Zero accountability, zero core turnover, zero guts in management to actually make a player decision. @Suntouchable13 says it on the first page, if JT stays this place is a country club.

My own two cents is that the country club must be avoided at all costs (it already is one, but we need to change that). I can live with 2y x 2m, but I'd much prefer that we just wave goodbye, give him a nice little tribute video when he comes back, and move on with reshaping the core. In reality, we'll probably give him something stupid like the Marleau deal, which will age just as well and cause the exact same problems, just with way more baggage and way less intestinal fortitude.

He made history by signing one of the most generous UFA contracts in history.

Mitch claiming the undisputed number one RFA atrocity out there. We have a good thing going here!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Tampa basically told Stamkos to hit the road if he didn't wanna take another discount cause they're actually serious about winning.

Yet somehow here in Toronto were supposed to be honored and blessed that JT wants to sign another contract here. The ridiculous shit you read around here is hilarious. You said it exactly right, we don't owe him a damn thing.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Imagine how much we would have to pay to get him without NMC in his last year!

Same with greedy Mitch $11M after he gave us a hometown discount and we gave him NMC as RFA.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Based on the predictions/ideas being thrown around here, I think people are going to be disappointed with the number and term it ends up at.
Toronto has all the leverage here, and if Tavares mindset is not wanting to leave, Toronto should be able to force him to take a number that's more favorable to them like what's being suggested in this thread (4.5m-5m area).

I agree with you though, I think he's going to sign for market value on a 3 or 4 year deal. Joe Pavelski signed for 3 years @ 7m with similar production as Tavares right now at age 34.

Toronto hasn't shown the balls to ever "stick it someone" on contract negations, I don't think they start now on Tavares either.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Tampa basically told Stamkos to hit the road if he didn't wanna take another discount cause they're actually serious about winning.

Yet somehow here in Toronto were supposed to be honored and blessed that JT wants to sign another contract here. The ridiculous shit you read around here is hilarious. You said it exactly right, we don't owe him a damn thing.
If I was the Leafs, I wouldn't sign him to anything other than a one year deal, but I'm sure they will end up going longer than that.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I don’t think Toronto needs to low ball Tavares…
Just lower the AAV less than you think.

He's too slow for the NHL. People needing his degree of sheltering are cheap.

if JT is signed, it all but guarantees Marner is walking. To build a cup team, you have to move on from Marner. He'd be useful for a team needing to sell tickets on sleepy Tuesday nights. NoWhereVille, USA.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Mitch claiming the undisputed number one RFA atrocity out there.
Neither of those things are even close to true. Educate yourself on the history of contracts.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Mitch claiming the undisputed number one RFA atrocity out there. We have a good thing going here!
and this loser .org is responsible for both.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Man please dont be here after next year

3 pts in his last 12 playoff games (last 2 series)

David kampf gives us that at 2.5M while being a better defensive player than Johnny Cement Feet

Move on frkm this bum and trade for a good 2C
Funny if you include a full playoff what is the importance of a goal he scored?

Sep 18, 2009
Some of the folks on here come across as so entitled… not even the bitter Islander fans who trashed JT when he left NY, hold a candle to the whining and crying of these guys.

I can’t imagine how embarrassing it would be to go to a Leaf game with these whiners.

I’m looking forward to JT having a solid season with some of the spotlight moved off him and extend his stay here on a team friendly deal.
You guys go to Leaf games? I don't even watch the games

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Yea, sure, wanting to move on and keeping his 4-5 million for a better younger player that can help us win more in the playoffs is whining. Sure thing. They don’t need JT to make the playoffs. Why not use his money at the 2026 deadline and actually get a really good player that can move the needle instead of the status quo. Enough.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yea, sure, wanting to move on and keeping his 4-5 million for a better younger player that can help us win more in the playoffs is whining. Sure thing. They don’t need JT to make the playoffs. Why not use his money at the 2026 deadline and actually get a really good player that can move the needle instead of the status quo. Enough.
I have no idea why some in this fan base believe we owe Tavares and i also have no idea why anyone would want to pay him 4-5-6m with term starting when he's 35 and act like his play won't keep declining .

if he doesn't want to waive then let him play out the season in a reduced role and let him walk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad