Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He is actually a terrible third line centre. He's not fast or a tenacious forechecker, he's not good defensively, he doesn't really produce offense 5 on 5 anymore...basically, he's kind of nothing you would want in a third line centre. All that said, the will resign him anyway. I don't think it actually has anything to do with what he adds to the team. He wants to be here and won't sign anywhere else, and the team is so cautious that they will choose the path of least resistance and resign him.

His issue last year was the PP, not 5v5.

His 5v5 numbers were up.

31st for centers at 5v5 with 45 points.

Some centers just behind him were Domi, Kopitar, Coyle, Zacha, Hintz, Stamkos, and ROR.

These centers were also behind him but played fewer games than him: Eichel (17 fewer games) and Hughes (18 fewer games).

Some centers just ahead of him were Suzuki, Hischier, Horvat, Barkov, and Malkin.

His PPP went from 39 to 20 last year, that was the reason for his drop.

His shooting % was also 3% lower than usual.

Tavares is still a solid 2C and would be a great 3C if they were to roll 3 scoring lines (hope they do this year).

Reactions: The Apologist

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I fully expect an extension but it seems like something that should be done sometime in the new year so they can get a better gauge on the player he’ll be going forward.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He should sign for 1M plus another 3M in bonuses.

But he'll sign @6.9M because that's the Leafs way

• Haha
Reactions: al secord

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
yup it's obvious watching him he's one of the faster players in the league and much quicker than Willie , lol

the people doing the tests were probably also the one's that said Kessel was one of the fittest Leafs

I'm thinking they mention the pertinent information when they mention agility.

Remember watching Antropov skate by people because he had good top end speed, but agility, not so much.

Tavares 31st. for even strength points for centers last season.

Reactions: The Apologist

ALine

May 14, 2012
If/when he re-signs, would it be a 35+ contract as he’ll be 35 to start the season of whatever his next contract is? or what’s the rules there ?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If/when he re-signs, would it be a 35+ contract as he’ll be 35 to start the season of whatever his next contract is? or what’s the rules there ?

No.

He will be 34 June 30th., 2025.

The rules for 35+ contracts changed in the 2020 CBA MOU. Now, a contract is not considered "35+" if:

-total compensation either stays the same or increases from one year to the subsequent year

-there are no signing bonuses after Year 1

If those criteria are met, the contract is not considered 35+, and therefore the usual contract rules around burying and buyouts apply. If that criteria is not met, it is considered a "35+" contract (if the player turned 35 by June 30), and therefore:

-If the contract is bought out, the original cap hit each year still remains (no cap hit relief from a buyout)

-If the player is sent down, the cap hit is only reduced by $100,000

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm thinking they mention the pertinent information when they mention agility.

Remember watching Antropov skate by people because he had good top end speed, but agility, not so much.

Tavares 31st. for even strength points for centers last season.
I should pm Ianturnedbull to make a thread on it but i need to know why people feel obligated to defend Johnny Mumbles .

lets ignore JT needed to be carried by a 90 pt play driving winger or that outside of taking draws he does little you need a center to do or that his production is even worse in the playoffs , or that our team has spun it's wheels since we signed him or his previous team had the most success it's had in 40 years the second he left

none of that matters , all that matters is Johnny needs to be defended from any criticism even if we have to chuck his teammates under a bus to shield him

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I should pm Ianturnedbull to make a thread on it but i need to know why people feel obligated to defend Johnny Mumbles .

lets ignore JT needed to be carried by a 90 pt play driving winger or that outside of taking draws he does little you need a center to do or that his production is even worse in the playoffs , or that our team has spun it's wheels since we signed him or his previous team had the most success it's had in 40 years the second he left

none of that matters , all that matters is Johnny needs to be defended from any criticism even if we have to chuck his teammates under a bus to shield him

Centers and defenders are overpaid as UFA.

Maybe Minten surprises everyone.

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

There are valid criticisms that are talked about and no one bats an eye.

He is defended because the conversation has gone way beyond valid criticisms.

I mean one person even actually said they wouldn’t take him back at league min which is next level ridiculousness.

Even your post here has taken some liberties with the facts to spin a negative picture.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The biggest issue with Tavares is his cap hit, no one is complaining about his production if he was making 5-6M. He's a fine 2C and a good 2C on most teams in the league, he's just not the superstar he was paid to be.

Realistically I think he takes a long term low AAV extension, something that works for both sides. His main concern is raising his family in Toronto. From the Leafs perspective they want a low cap hit and production equal to his pay. I can realistically see both sides agreeing to something like 4Mx5.

A 3C capable of sliding up the lineup in case of injuries, Probably sticks to the 2C role until a viable replacement is found.

I don't mind him on the team, just depends on the price tag.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
It doesn't make much sense to dive into an extension when they havent seen how he performs for Berube. His offense took a dip last season and I think they would want to know if thats a trend or if he can be around a ppg again. Is this maybe just something CJ pulled out of his ass? :)

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Jul 10, 2003
KW
My first choice is to let him walk.

But let’s face it, if he comes in around 4m, you won’t do better on the free agent market. We’ll probably give him too many years though to bring the cap hit down. More important to let Marner walk since he’ll occupy a larger portion of the cap.

Reactions: AvroArrow

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Centers and defenders are overpaid as UFA.

Maybe Minten surprises everyone.
all decent and up players tend to get overpaid as ufa's , that's why i've said endlessly you don't sign ufa who doesn't fill a need

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There are valid criticisms that are talked about and no one bats an eye.

He is defended because the conversation has gone way beyond valid criticisms.

I mean one person even actually said they wouldn’t take him back at league min which is next level ridiculousness.

Even your post here has taken some liberties with the facts to spin a negative picture.
what liberties did i take in the post you replied too ?

and it's all sunshine and lollipops with you regardless how many times this team fails in the playoffs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
His issue last year was the PP, not 5v5.

His 5v5 numbers were up.

31st for centers at 5v5 with 45 points.

Some centers just behind him were Domi, Kopitar, Coyle, Zacha, Hintz, Stamkos, and ROR.

These centers were also behind him but played fewer games than him: Eichel (17 fewer games) and Hughes (18 fewer games).

Some centers just ahead of him were Suzuki, Hischier, Horvat, Barkov, and Malkin.

His PPP went from 39 to 20 last year, that was the reason for his drop.

His shooting % was also 3% lower than usual.

Tavares is still a solid 2C and would be a great 3C if they were to roll 3 scoring lines (hope they do this year).

I get what youre saying but a lot of those guys were on teams that actually played winnimg hockey. Obviously playing the game right leads to lower scoring games and less stat padding. The kids loved (Keefe because they could do what they said and pad stats before contract.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Look if JT takes a 4x4 million dollar a year contract to be our 3 C I don’t think we have much to complain about. While good on the draw he has been a non factor 5v5.

So unless you surround him with some speedy wingers that are defensive minded he will have a hard time keeping up with your top players which traditionally the 3C have been tasked with dealing with.

Ideally I would move him to LW and have him be a mentor to Minten and a release valve if he struggles on the draw.

If he isn’t willing to take a massive discount and the option to have 22 million in Cap space is available next season I suggest management think big and get Drai signed!

Reactions: stymie

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He plays on the pp and with a top offensive right winger.
He produces next to nothing offensively by himself.
He will be another year older.
So if he wants to stay here and retire as a leaf,it will be a giordano deal or nothing.
Watch!

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If I die in the next 30 odd years and Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Tavares are not still on the team, I'll be raging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad