Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
unless i'm missing something but i'm not reading anything other than someone is reporting their opinion on a JT extension and for all those who want to re-sing JT especially for 4-5m or more my question is why they feel JT won't regress any further

JT can't keep up with the flow of the play now , can't carry the puck up the ice in any traffic but yet some people think he'd be great anchoring a 3rd line . JT gets his points on the pp and 5 on 5 by sitting at the top of the crease while his linemates do all the work bringing the puck up the ice and feeding him on the net front .

he's not going to get any better/faster and he still has a yr left , there's no reason to even talk about an extension now before the team sees how he does this year , hopefully in a reduced role

edit - i forgot he does nothing in the playoffs either !
You are not wrong but he has done something in the playoffs. Winner in OT to win series vs Tampa. Two goals in game #6 vs Tampa to give us lead after two periods only to blow the game in OT.

Reactions: AvroArrow

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Man please dont be here after next year

3 pts in his last 12 playoff games (last 2 series)

David kampf gives us that at 2.5M while being a better defensive player than Johnny Cement Feet

Move on frkm this bum and trade for a good 2C

He won't be paid like a core piece so this won't matter as much. Leafs should be happy to wait and see what he does this season. Even if he has a great year and scores 40 goals and 90 points, he will be 35.

I could see a Tanev type deal. 6 years 2M

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I honestly think it will be 2x6 or 3x4… however, I can also see 1-1.5 x7.

What I don’t see… UFA to a new team, retirement or no deal from the Leafs.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I honestly think it will be 2x6 or 3x4… however, I can also see 1-1.5 x7.

What I don’t see… UFA to a new team, retirement or no deal from the Leafs.

I think every one of those is less than it’ll take to extend him. There’s no way he’s coming in at 2M or less, I don’t care how many years you give him. That won’t happen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You are not wrong but he has done something in the playoffs. Winner in OT to win series vs Tampa. Two goals in game #6 vs Tampa to give us lead after two periods only to blow the game in OT.
basically his great claim to fame is bouncing a puck off a foot for a series winner , all for the low low price of 77m

we don't owe him anything , if the Bolts can walk away from Stammer after he gave the team an actual real discount then we can walk away from mumbles after we overpaid him for 7yrs !

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The first thoughts on this thread will be insufferable, but if a 60-65 point centerman whose good on the draw is getting around 4.75m-5m then I think it's okay.

The only downside to him right now is the 11m in capspace he's taking up.
On the 3rd line he won't be a 60-65 pt C, especially in 2 yrs time. Avg 19 min a night 1st line pp and he managed 2 pts in 7 playoff games this year. We can all see he is slowing down, and he was never fast to begin with, so 5 m starting in 2 yrs? No thank you.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Look at what TB, a team who won 2Cups and 3Finals appearances in the last 5 years did with their Capt this past summer.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Teams that win the cup don't put in this much effort in keeping their core. :laugh:

I would move on from JT and Marner.
Great post! I'd pay Tavares $12 million x 4 just to be sure they don't keep Marner....

unless i'm missing something but i'm not reading anything other than someone is reporting their opinion on a JT extension and for all those who want to re-sing JT especially for 4-5m or more my question is why they feel JT won't regress any further

JT can't keep up with the flow of the play now , can't carry the puck up the ice in any traffic but yet some people think he'd be great anchoring a 3rd line . JT gets his points on the pp and 5 on 5 by sitting at the top of the crease while his linemates do all the work bringing the puck up the ice and feeding him on the net front .

he's not going to get any better/faster and he still has a yr left , there's no reason to even talk about an extension now before the team sees how he does this year , hopefully in a reduced role

edit - i forgot he does nothing in the playoffs either !
Just like Marner, but you'd happily pay Marner $12.56 million.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
basically his great claim to fame is bouncing a puck off a foot for a series winner , all for the low low price of 77m

we don't owe him anything , if the Bolts can walk away from Stammer after he gave the team an actual real discount then we can walk away from mumbles after we overpaid him for 7yrs !
I think the Bolts walks away from the salary demand. Had he lowered his ask significantly he probably stays in Tampa.
I’m sure they would have preferred to work something out and kept their Captain.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Teams that win the cup don't put in this much effort in keeping their core. :laugh:

I would move on from JT and Marner.

Exactly this!!! Golden opportunity for much needed changes, but we’ll get status quo.

Why the rush for Toronto to sign him, should at least let him play out the season before committing to an extension. I’d be talking one year deals moving forward, or he can choose between retirement or uprooting his family.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Tavares probably worth 7m per now, but he's been overpaid by 3m the past 7 years.

Unless he's giving the Leafs under 4m per deal...he can go somewhere else and we can find a 3C who isn't on the decline.
He might be worth 3.5 -4 and if they give him 7 that just proves that we will be waiting for the next rebuild to have any success

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Still to be seen if it was a good move or not but I like the thinking behind it.

They lost in the first round two times in a row. They're trying to win so they're shifting gears because they know what they had wasn't cutting it. Meanwhile in Bizarro World it's year X of zero results and the suckers get to witness this garbage again.

1723849655715.png

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Just like Marner, but you'd happily pay Marner $12.56 million.
50 pts in 57 games , not great but hardly 'nothing'

the problem with you is you ignore what players are getting paid as ufa's

for example

Lindholm who's turning 30 coming off a 44pt season , a career 27pts in 40 playoff games and has exactly 1 x 80 pt season as well as 1 x70 pt season , he just signed for 7.75m x 7yrs but yea we'll just let Marner walk and use his cap space to overpay far lesser players in the ufa market because that'll work so much better !

and this isn\t an outlier , pretty much every decent/good player this offseason got paid more and many much more than their worth

but who gives a f*** because your pissed we got knocked out early and you want you your pound of flesh

I think the Bolts walks away from the salary demand. Had he lowered his ask significantly he probably stays in Tampa.
I’m sure they would have preferred to work something out and kept their Captain.
they were rumored to have offered him 8yrs x 3m , that's pretty much saying he's not wanted here anymore and this is coming off a 40/40 season

Last edited:
Reactions: bax

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
yup it's obvious watching him he's one of the faster players in the league and much quicker than Willie , lol

the people doing the tests were probably also the one's that said Kessel was one of the fittest Leafs
I’m thinking the were high

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Since we're being told a new pandemic might happen with this Monkeypox will we get a few discounts now since it won't come as a surprise like Covid did when all their last contracts kicked in?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
perfect 3C. Take a discount.
He is actually a terrible third line centre. He's not fast or a tenacious forechecker, he's not good defensively, he doesn't really produce offense 5 on 5 anymore...basically, he's kind of nothing you would want in a third line centre. All that said, the will resign him anyway. I don't think it actually has anything to do with what he adds to the team. He wants to be here and won't sign anywhere else, and the team is so cautious that they will choose the path of least resistance and resign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad