Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Nothing would say "we have no respect for our fans" more than bringing Tavares back.

The self-identified biggest mistake of the previous regime. Seven years with Captain Boat Anchor. The team finally has a chance to unburden itself.

They shouldn't be bringing Tavares back at any price.

Not if they want to show fans they're trying. A change in culture is more important than securing an aging 3C on a cheap deal. It's time to move on from the failed four forward experiment.

It's been a massive and costly boondoggle on the world's largest hockey stage.

Spending all that money on player salaries. Then wasting even more money to gaslight the public into thinking they’re a contender. I’d think it was a conspiracy if I didn’t already know they were incompetent.

If they stumble out of the gates with the same trash core they ended last year with Shanahan should be looking for a new team along with Tavares.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
you people are out of your f*cking minds lol

Tavares shows up every single game. Battles hard, never takes a night off. Goes into the corners, not afraid to get hit, grinds out every shift.

A couple seasons off a 47-goal campaign. Scored the overtime winner against Tampa that gave us our first series win since before most of you were born. Did any of you watch that entire sequence? Did you watch exactly what Tavares did for that entire play? The whole thing was 15 seconds of him controlling the puck and grinding around the offensive zone and around the net before he put it in. Unbelievable play but none of you guys have a clue as to what he actually did there

He always takes the camera, never hides from the media. Even now that he's not captain, he'll still be the first guy to face them. He's always professional, never immature or snotty infront of them. Let's see how the next Captain handles that, right? A lot of us already know the answer..

Never complains, never throws anyone under the bus. A total class act and the organisation knows it. That's why he'll probably be offered a front-office position when he's done playing.

I honestly can't believe the stupidity of 95% of the fans opinion on Tavares here. You're all out to lunch lol

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
For the life of me I can’t understand the hate this guy gets. In 2018 we finally get what we’ve been waiting for, one of the best players in the game in his prime comes home and signs with us. He takes 2 million less than the highest bidder. He goes onto become the 3rd most productive free agent signing of the salary cap era. Never gets in trouble , a class act who always works his ass off and a bunch of fans just trash him all the time because he didnt live up to their expectations.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Tavares shows up every single game. Battles hard, never takes a night off. Goes into the corners, not afraid to get hit, grinds out every shift.

A couple seasons off a 47-goal campaign. Scored the overtime winner against Tampa that gave us our first series win since before most of you were born. Did any of you watch that entire sequence? Did you watch exactly what Tavares did for that entire play? The whole thing was 15 seconds of him controlling the puck and grinding around the offensive zone and around the net before he put it in. Unbelievable play but none of you guys have a clue as to what he actually did there

He always takes the camera, never hides from the media. Even now that he's not captain, he'll still be the first guy to face them. He's always professional, never immature or snotty infront of them. Let's see how the next Captain handles that, right? A lot of us already know the answer..

Never complains, never throws anyone under the bus. A total class act and the organisation knows it. That's why he'll probably be offered a front-office position when he's done playing.

I honestly can't believe the stupidity of 95% of the fans opinion on Tavares here. You're all out to lunch lol
yup only ''a couple of seasons off a 47 goal campaign'' lol and a Johnny Mumbles fluff post wouldn't be the same without the mandatory chucking a teammate under the bus

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I could handle re-signing him on 1-year contracts only but the problem is his "turn the other cheek" softness that works if you are wiping your cheeks with Charmin but not so well when the rest of the core has the same attitude. At some point you need to bring in forwards that are physically tough to play against. Let's see if we can find a player like that within the next year to replace John with, and only if we can't, re-sign him for 1 year during free agency. No rush!

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

47 goal season was 6 years ago lmao
He's no longer able to keep up 5v5, he was a ghost in the playoffs.

He won just one round in his entire time with the Islanders, one round with the Leafs. He is not able to ramp up his game in the playoffs...simple as.

It's the one lesson he's unable to learn, he's learned every single other lesson possible. 😅

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
47 goal season was 6 years ago lmao
He's no longer able to keep up 5v5, he was a ghost in the playoffs.

He won just one round in his entire time with the Islanders, one round with the Leafs. He is not able to ramp up his game in the playoffs...simple as.

It's the one lesson he's unable to learn, he's learned every single other lesson possible. 😅
He did score the OT winners in both NY and Toronto to win those rounds.

who else you got winning rounds by scoring OT goals for either team?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Is 2 points in 7 games "showing up" every single game for the playoffs?

Continues to amaze the lengths people go to to put lipstick on this pig. Tavares' style for the playoffs at this stage of his career might honestly be worse than Marner's.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Is 2 points in 7 games "showing up" every single game for the playoffs?

Continues to amaze the lengths people go to to put lipstick on this pig. Tavares' style for the playoffs at this stage of his career might honestly be worse than Marner's.
a lot of his playoff points for us have been massive points at big moments. Something Marner hasn’t been able to provide

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’d bring Tavares back at 3-3.5 million. I think for what he produces you will not find someone cheaper in UFA. I’m hoping he comes in at 4 million or less that would be good value.

I say give him the term required to keep the AAV down into that 4M range. Even if it’s 5-6 years. 4M will be nothing in 5 years.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I say give him the term required to keep the AAV down into that 4M range. Even if it’s 5-6 years.

I would agree, give him the retirement deal. Limited NTC. I would not be giving JT a full NMC at this point.

But I do also understand if the organization decided to move on from him for more symbolic reasons. JT’s speech at the captains thing sounded like he was putting the league on notice he can still play in case the leafs decide to move on. I’m honestly very intrigued with what’s going to happen this off-season.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would agree, give him the retirement deal. Limited NTC. I would not be giving JT a full NMC at this point.

But I do also understand if the organization decided to move on from him for more symbolic reasons. JT’s speech at the captains thing sounded like he was putting the league on notice he can still play in case the leafs decide to move on. I’m honestly very intrigued with what’s going to happen this off-season.

Definitely possible. I would alternatively suggest it was maybe just him firing back at the media dissection of his game that has begun and was only being amplified by the captaincy news.

Reactions: francis246

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

The last time he scored 47 goals was 5 seasons ago. 2018/2019. That isn't a couple seasons ago.

Lmao utter f***ing nonsense
Besides faceoffs, what value has he been bringing? His linemates have carried him the last few seasons. The guy can't keep up with the pace of the league. It is painfully obvious he is a 3rd line center anymore and even that is stretching it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

My only real complaint about Tavares has been the contract. But let's be realistic.

"A couple of seasons off a 47-goal campaign"? That was six years ago!

You may remember the series-winning goal as a great play, but he dumped the puck towards the net from a bad angle, and it was going well wide before it hit a defender's skate and deflected in.

Other than that, I agree he has been the consummate professional, and I have no problem at all with him coming back for another couple of years at a reasonable salary, and going upstairs afterwards.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He’s still a good 2C, look at his numbers
His numbers are way down from previous years, and they were very dependent on him playing with one of the best wingers in the league who was having his best season.

I think $3 for 3 years as a 3C is about right.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
On the 3rd line he won't be a 60-65 pt C, especially in 2 yrs time. Avg 19 min a night 1st line pp and he managed 2 pts in 7 playoff games this year. We can all see he is slowing down, and he was never fast to begin with, so 5 m starting in 2 yrs? No thank you.
He shouldn't be on the 3rd line. He lacks footspeed (has his entire career), but he still produces, JT doesn't take a shift off, good in both end of the ice, good on the draws. If Tavares was making 5m this season and not his 11m everyone would be fine.

Take a look at what Chandler Stephenson is making on Seattle now, 6.25m for a lesser player his entire career to play on the 2nd line.

The only downside to Tavares right now is the 11m cap hit he's making (news flash, everyone knew when we got to year 7 of the deal, he wasn't going to be a 11m player).

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I wonder if the Tanev contract is an indication he’s getting term with a hand shake agreement to eventually move to Robidas Island.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
just watch how much C cost on market

62 pts horvat 8,5M

57 pts injury prone Monahan 5,5M

76 pts scheifele 8,5

37 to 40 y/o malkin 6,1M

57 pts Lindholm 7,75M

kadri 7M until 38

that's the ufa market

If Jt resign at 4-5M for like 3/ year, it would be a home discount and pretty great deal for toronto

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The last time he scored 47 goals was 5 seasons ago. 2018/2019. That isn't a couple seasons ago.

Besides faceoffs, what value has he been bringing? His linemates have carried him the last few seasons. The guy can't keep up with the pace of the league. It is painfully obvious he is a 3rd line center anymore and even that is stretching it.

His recent playoffs production is about 67% of marner's.
With age that will likely drop off, so for argument sake, 10% per year for next 4 years.

$7+6.3+5.7+5.1
So
4*$6mm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad