Seravalli: Tatar to the Leafs?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Some people claim that he is soft, but I don't think that is fair. He was a fixture with Danault, and Gallagher, and that whole line was incredibly tenacious, with a high work rate. They were miserable to play against, and that's why they were so effective 5 on 5 over their years as a line together.

Tatar struggled more this year, but so did the rest of the line. They couldn't recreate their identity for long stretches whether it was because of injuries or players just going through some individual issues.

However, the one common theme for Tatar as an individual is that he doesn't have another gear in the playoffs, so while most guys bring their level up, Tatar stays the same, and ultimately becomes ineffective in the time where the leafs would need help the most.

Would you say that is because Tatar plays at 100% during the regular season and thus doesn't have another gear to go to in the playoffs, or the opposite, that he doesn't have the heart and thus doesn't bother to raise that extra gear?

The other thing I'd ask - Tatar has a career CORSI of 63% in the playoffs, which is elite. But his point production is mediocre. Could this just be bad luck/lack of finish from his linemates, or would something else explain this?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Would you say that is because Tatar plays at 100% during the regular season and thus doesn't have another gear to go to in the playoffs, or the opposite, that he doesn't have the heart and thus doesn't bother to raise that extra gear?

The other thing I'd ask - Tatar has a career CORSI of 63% in the playoffs, which is elite. But his point production is mediocre. Could this just be bad luck/lack of finish from his linemates, or would something else explain this?

It's a good question. Maybe he was distracted by the contract this year but he never really got it going in the regular or post season, but let's just set that aside and presume it's an anomoly.

In the big picture, I don't think it's for me to speculate why he can't elevate in the playoffs. That's something only Tatar can provide insight on.

Maybe going on a team like Toronto will change his regular season style that will help him to preserve more energy in the playoffs, but I believe he had the same issues in Detroit where and he never really got going in Vegas either.

I don't think the trend changes this deep into his career.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'm not sure that forward group gets you in the playoffs. A single injury wrecks that roster.

Considering they've had significant injuries throughout Keefe's tenure and are on a 105pt pace under him, I am going to say you're wrong.

Off the top of my head, I think Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Hyman, Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Andersen, and Campbell have all been injured for 5+ games, many overlapping games.

I think Dermott was their #1D at one point.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Tatar is not overly soft as some have asked. In fact, he's a surprisingly good forechecker and can work the boards a bit. Also a good skill level. Where he falls off is he's fairly easy to box out and he struggles to make system-based decisions when pressured. When MTL wanted to eliminate brainless plays to the point and weak turnovers, he continued to do it at an alarming rate. His shot is also not much of a threat, so he hindered the PP when opponents knew he was always looking to pass (and almost always to the point). He is certainly not the answer to the Leafs' playoff woes, but he will put up some points.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018
The upside with Tatar is that he can look really good in the regular season. He will dupe you into thinking that it will translate into the playoffs.

However, his game doesn't change much in the postseason while most guys elevate theirs in the playoffs.

He's a guy that will help a team get to the playoffs, but he won't get you through them, which is why I think he's a redundant price in Toronto.

They will make the postseason with or without or without Tatar. What they need are peices that get you through the playoffs.

anthony-adams-rubbing-hands

Dubas would love him then.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
On his Daily faceoff podcast he stated the Leafs are one of the teams interested un Tatar, he also thinks there is interest in Nick Ritchie.

I think Tatar would be a great fit, I think Tatar Matthews Maraner would be a great line.

Tatar Is a highly skilled forward and I think it would complete what would be a very good top 6.

I'm all for it I hope it happens

Playoff warrior line!!!!

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
anthony-adams-rubbing-hands

Dubas looking at Tatar’s stats during regular season, while not paying attention to playoff stats.
This isn't NHL 21. Teams have scouting reports on every player of interest. They have guys going to games and watching players live. There's no "looking at stats"

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Terrible fit.

Looks like Toronto is doubling down on going for the Presidents Trophy and then getting a lot of golf in

Tatar needs to realize he needs to find a legit playoff squad where he’d be able to acclimate. Tampa, Boston, NYI, Vegas, etc. Those teams would hide his deficiencies…

But putting him next to Marner is just lol

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Two teams benching the guy in the playoffs has gotta hurt his perceived value.

Wonder what he'll get as a contract

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sounds dumb and unlikely because Toronto's cap is currently 80M.

So whatever his contract is, you have to trade out that same value of someone else.
Don't think Tatar is signing for 1M

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Take the guy whose game is known to be only effective in the regular season in a team dominant regular season team that can't put it together in the playoff, amazing idea.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The reason he will be cheaper and affordable to them is because of the playoff issues.

I'm cool with signing him and putting him in the top six with two of Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander. Redemption line baby.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
It’s really not fair to call him soft, he’s not that at all.

His game just isn’t suited for the more physical, tighter-checking playoffs where defensive lapses wind up in the back of your own net.

Another poster used the term “redundant” with respect to the Leafs lineup, and I think that’s the perfect descriptor.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad