Rumor: Tarasenko fires agents

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Tricky part is that I don't think Tarasenko should be signing a short term deal. If I were him, at this stage, term is more important than the small pay bump that might come in 2 years.
The other tricky part is time....the longer this goes on, the less cap space, the less roster space.....so it is a bit of a catch 22 situation. My guess is he eventually takes a short term deal for a number much less than he desires....the market just isn't there for a player of his profile.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Has there been an instance of a player firing their agent in the free agent season actually getting a good long term deal? Klingberg fired his guy last year and that backfired monumentally.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Tricky part is that I don't think Tarasenko should be signing a short term deal. If I were him, at this stage, term is more important than the small pay bump that might come in 2 years.

The other tricky part is time....the longer this goes on, the less cap space, the less roster space.....so it is a bit of a catch 22 situation. My guess is he eventually takes a short term deal for a number much less than he desires....the market just isn't there for a player of his profile.
will money even factor into the decision?

the guy has earned >$65M in his NHL Career
his family, and his kids' families, are set

the real power of having money, often overlooked here,
is not having to make decisions based on money considerations

Reactions: egelband

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Has there been an instance of a player firing their agent in the free agent season actually getting a good long term deal? Klingberg fired his guy last year and that backfired monumentally.
The agent firing didn't backfire, he fired him in the middle of the summer because he completely misread the market and I believe advised him to turn down a long term deal making around what he settled for on a one year

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
The agent firing didn't backfire, he fired him in the middle of the summer because he completely misread the market and I believe advised him to turn down a long term deal making around what he settled for on a one year

For Klingberg? I thought he fired his agent because his agent told him to TAKE the long term offer and Klingberg thought he was worth more, not the other way around.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
will money even factor into the decision?

the guy has earned >$65M in his NHL Career
his family, and his kids' families, are set

the real power of having money, often overlooked here,
is not having to make decisions based on money considerations
If money didn't matter, Tarasenko would be signed by now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Its either all about money, or he wants a better offer from a team he wants to play for (what Friedman said).
I.e. Rangers need to trade Troubadour snd get Pesce to replace him to create the space. But troubadour won’t go. The other high cost players they aren’t getting moved or teams won’t touch.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Did I fall into a Tatasenko worm hole that led to the Canes board like the gate to Narnia?

I think a long term commitment to Tarasenko (more than 2/3 years) would be a mistake at almost any price. But something in the 1-2 year range would be fine. I’m assuming at his age the debate is term though. He’s pretty far removed from being a 30 goal guy. Hard to value him.
I'd be concerend about a dip last season, but 21/22 was argubaly the best year of his career with 34 goals in 75 games, with 82 points, the only time he's been above ppg. Last year he had 50 points in 69 games.

I would've offer him much term, but he's not far removed from being a 30 goal guy.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd be concerend about a dip last season, but 21/22 was argubaly the best year of his career with 34 goals in 75 games, with 82 points, the only time he's been above ppg. Last year he had 50 points in 69 games.

I would've offer him much term, but he's not far removed from being a 30 goal guy.
Was there any specific reason for Tank not having that good of a season in 22/23? Injuries? Something else?

Reactions: Tryamw

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
For Klingberg? I thought he fired his agent because his agent told him to TAKE the long term offer and Klingberg thought he was worth more, not the other way around.
He fired his agent about two weeks into the free agency period and the offer in question was from Dallas so I don't think the timeline makes sense if that were the case

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
He fired his agent about two weeks into the free agency period and the offer in question was from Dallas so I don't think the timeline makes sense if that were the case

Thanks for posting that and the clarification.

Klingberg's agent crapped the bed there, eh?

Reactions: Tryamw

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Was there any specific reason for Tank not having that good of a season in 22/23? Injuries? Something else?

Complete lack of effort anywhere on the ice unless he sniffs a chance for a goal. Basically the same problem he's always had, but he's now older and the shoulder injuries turned his elite shot into just very good.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Complete lack of effort anywhere on the ice unless he sniffs a chance for a goal. Basically the same problem he's always had, but he's now older and the shoulder injuries turned his elite shot into just very good.
How do you think he would do in Tampa with a room full of future HoFers that have already won a couple cups but are looking for his help for another?

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
How do you think he would do in Tampa with a room full of future HoFers that have already won a couple cups but are looking for his help for another?
The hell if I know. He plays well when he's engaged and working hard on the ice, he just very rarely looks like he has any desire to do that. I don't know how much of that had to do with his relationship with the organization (training staff) souring after his failed shoulder surgeries, if any. He's always been a bit of a floater that doesn't look like he even wants to be out there, but he used to be able to turn nothing into something and make you forget the fact you didn't notice him for the first 55 minutes of a game.

The little bit I saw of him in New York, he seemed to play a lot more engaged, but he still took long stretches off like he always has. Basically a long-winded way to say Vladi plays motivated when Vladi wants to play motivated. I don't think who else is in the room makes a difference.

I also wouldn't worry about it because there's no way he signs for anything close to what Tampa could afford.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Almost the entire team was garbage, so it's tough to say. And to a similar point, in 21/22, almost everything for the team went in, but it was IMO his best and most complete season offensively and really meshed well with Thomas, which was probably his 1st season with a genuine offensive playmaking center.

I don't think injuries were the reason for the dip last season, but I also wouldn't committ that much term either, partly due to age and past injuries, but just once the decline does start, his value goes down significantly. If he isn't scoring, he's not adding much.

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What does he seriously think he can get? He’s a 31.5 year old one dimensional player who’s on the wrong side of his prime. He is not a playoff performer either.

The cap situation on almost every team is critical.

The days of older players getting a retirement contract are long gone.

He should be seeking a $4-5 million short term contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What does he seriously think he can get? He’s a 31.5 year old one dimensional player who’s on the wrong side of his prime. He is not a playoff performer either.

The cap situation on almost every team is critical.

The days of older players getting a retirement contract are long gone.

He should be seeking a $4-5 million short term contract.
He scores at a 37 goal pace in the playoffs, and he's someone that has always scored goals in big moments, so I wouldn't agree that he's not a playoff performer, but he's more of a pure goal scorer in that sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad