Tampa Bay @ Carolina: Nine-Nine!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think Ned is as close to Elite as we are going to see here for a while. He's also still basically a rookie, and has room to improve his game. He's more than capable of stealing a series and absolutely distanced himself on our own internal depth chart from Mrazek and Reimer this year. He's earned the playing time he's received in these playoffs, and we'll be better off with him over the long haul.

Last game he let in one borderline bad goal. It happens. We are going to need our offense to get more than 1 past Vasi on any game if we hope to win. Especially when we dominate play like we did.

I think the biggest issue with our team in these playoffs is that our best players just are nowhere to be found. Outside of Game 6 against Nashville (to be fair, a pretty key moment to show up), Dougie and Aho have been absent these playoffs. Svech, Turbo, and Trocheck have apparently completely ghosted on the team this postseason, and don't really appear to care to show up. Like, we are already going to have our hands full with a team like Tampa, but without any of those guys showing up, we'll be cooked before it gets going.

Tonight is a must win. We go to Tampa down 0-2, we get swept. Our biggest game of the year so far.

See, I believe Tampa won't sweep even if we lose tonight. I just don't see them taking us out in 4. Could be very wrong though.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
See, I believe Tampa won't sweep even if we lose tonight. I just don't see them taking us out in 4. Could be very wrong though.
I could see it snowballing very similarly to how the Isles crumbled against us in 2019. We won those first 2 games on the road by the skin of our teeth, and by the time we brought it back to Raleigh, it was all but over.

Put it this way, if we don't win tonight, I wouldn't like our chances of even pushing it to Game 6.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
IMHO Ned is a great goalie bue he isnt an Elite playoff goalie. Mrazek and Reimer are, and I dont envision Ned outplaying Fleury or Price.

Ned is our best goalie but your other point is certainly true (at this point in his career).

Goalies on the Canadians, Islanders, Bruins, Tampa, Winnipeg, Vegas, Colorado all are top shelf players and have a better playoff pedigree than Ned (and much better than Mrazek or Reiner).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I’m sorry, did I just read that someone rates Mrázek/Reimer as elite playoff goalies?

Really?
i mean Reimer and Mrazek were pretty stellar last season. Both have a pretty good career records too. Mrazek's save percentage took a serious hit in 18-19 while trying to play Boston with a hurt groin.

Not defending the elite portion as we would have to have recency bias to think that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
How about scoring at least 1 Goal more then Tampa? I don't know if it'll work but that's MY plan!.

3y4a3.gif

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If you think he's a "great" goalie (I'm not so sure about that but it wasn't my words) then you play him.

Goalie is the one spot that doesn't change much from playoffs to regular season. See the puck, stop the puck.

Cam Ward won the Conn Smythe as a rookie (and Ward had fewer skins on the wall than Ned did at playoff time). I'm unconcerned about "playoff pedigree." Either Ned is good enough to win or he's not. I think he's good enough considering he's out here sporting a .923 and hasn't wilted despite playing 3 overtime games already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad