Tage Thompson is a superstar

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Do people on hfboards like hockey or do they prefer dipshit gatekeeping?

A hockey fan posts an unreal highlight video of a player and like 70 percent of the responses are 'ok' 'sabres fans want attention' etc etc.

I swear these boards have some of the smallest dick energy I have ever seen.

How about we enjoy the sport that these boards are about and save the smugness?

People recognizing and enjoying Thompson's talent doesn't mean that your favorite team's players aren't good too. God damn.

Goddamn, go off dude!

It is hilarious that people would rather argue the definition of “superstar” rather than just enjoy an immense talent. It’s the Internet, it’s HF, it’s people- good god, just watch the tall man move like Lemieux and hope he puts it all together even more next year. For a month he was electric, then went like ppg for the remainder. I think he started overdoing the patience a bit, got banged up- but he can snipe, skate, stick handle, and his passing has gotten worlds better as well. He seemed to work on figuring out when to do what last season, and I think he can put it all together. 120+ point season incoming. Ya, I said it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would say Thompson is one of the best players to watch from an entertainment point of view.
Sure. He’s awesome. But I’d he a star of the league? I don’t (always) equate star with how much a player contributes to his club winning. I believe star is about a player’s popularity. Yes, it is most often both a great player who is popular. But that’s not always the case. Again, I use Zegras as an example. He’s clearly a star (popular) but is he great? Not really. TT is great, but is he a star? Imo - no.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Probably the same in all sports:

G.O.A.T. > Trans-Generational > Multi-Generational > Generational > Superstar > Star > Local Star > Quality Player > Average Player > Body

G.O.A.T ..... Greatest of All Time (1)

Trans-Generational ..... Best player of all time who is not the G.O.A.T. (1)

Multi-Generational ..... Best player of at least two generations (< 5)

Generational ..... Best player of his prime (around 10 years) (< 10)

Superstar ..... Well-known to sports fans generally outside of hockey

Star .... Well-known to most hockey fans

Local Star ..... Well-known to fans of a particular team who would hate to lose him

Quality Player ..... Known to fans of a particular team who wouldn't want to lose him, but wouldn't shed too many tears if they did

Average player ... May have some local fans; they come and go over the years

Body ..... Fills out the roster, hardly anybody notices his presence or absence or really even cares

Great breakdown. Tage would be a star on this list, and that seems accurate to me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Tage Thompson got shut down against the islanders. Buddy ain't a superstar yet if he can't score for crap down the stretch. Great player, not a superstar.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Tage Thompson got shut down against the islanders. Buddy ain't a superstar yet if he can't score for crap down the stretch. Great player, not a superstar.
lol what a dumb post. Islanders needed an illegal soccer kick to win. Dude was like PPG injured down the stretch lol.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Sure. He’s awesome. But I’d he a star of the league? I don’t (always) equate star with how much a player contributes to his club winning. I believe star is about a player’s popularity. Yes, it is most often both a great player who is popular. But that’s not always the case. Again, I use Zegras as an example. He’s clearly a star (popular) but is he great? Not really. TT is great, but is he a star? Imo - no.
So early Lemieux wasn't a superstar because the Pens were a trainwreck? Or early McDavid? (Not saying TT is at their level BTW).

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
So early Lemieux wasn't a superstar because the Pens were a trainwreck? Or early McDavid? (Not saying TT is at their level BTW).
Your not saying TT is at their level, so why bring up a comparison? There is absolutely none. At the same age:

Thompson:
- 1 all star game appearance

Lemieux:
- Stanley Cup champion
- 1 - Conn Smythe
- 2 - Art Ross
- 2 - Ted Lindsay
- 1 - Hart trophy
- 2 - Rocket (if the trophy existed)
- 5 - All star games
- 3 - All star game MVPs
- 4 - 1st or 2nd team all star
- Calder

McDavid:
- 5 - Art Ross
- 3 - Hart
- 4 - Ted Lindsay
- 1 - Rocket
- 6 - All star games
- 6 - 1st or 2nd team all star

Reactions: Auston Marlander

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
He’s got a great season but let’s not project him to surely repeat or even surpass it. He can pull a Lecavalier, have a wonderful year and a half and then become a decent but mostly irrelevant player.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Distinct kicking motion. There was a clear attempt to push his leg out to direct the puck.
I have to ask, do you know the rules?

1 - Not sure I'd say there was a distinct kicking motion anyway.....but....
2 - Even if there was, it didn't go off the skate

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I have to ask, do you know the rules?

1 - Not sure I'd say there was a distinct kicking motion anyway.....but....
2 - Even if there was, it didn't go off the skate
Yes, but you don't.

it states (paraphrased to shorten) When puck has been deliberately directed into the net BY ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STICK, it is NO GOAL. You can not bat the puck into the net with any part of the body intentionally. This rule application is the same as using your hand to push it in.

Distinct kicking motion is not actually the correct rule to apply here, it only applies to the foot/skate.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Your not saying TT is at their level, so why bring up a comparison? There is absolutely none. At the same age:

Thompson:
- 1 all star game appearance

Lemieux:
- Stanley Cup champion
- 1 - Conn Smythe
- 2 - Art Ross
- 2 - Ted Lindsay
- 1 - Hart trophy
- 2 - Rocket (if the trophy existed)
- 5 - All star games
- 3 - All star game MVPs
- 4 - 1st or 2nd team all star
- Calder

McDavid:
- 5 - Art Ross
- 3 - Hart
- 4 - Ted Lindsay
- 1 - Rocket
- 6 - All star games
- 6 - 1st or 2nd team all star
I am bringing it up because I understood Fat Ass's comment saying that TT can't be a star player because the Sabres were bad. IMO - I'm not a Sabres fan but love watching Sabres games because TT does stuff in game that almost no one else can do. There have been a TON of lesser players than 66 or 97 that I considered "star players" even though their team were bad. I used those 2 as extreme examples as guys who as I said "early in their career" were stuck on terrible teams but still dominated, and didn't have that domination translate into team success. You could make the same argument for guys like Sakic on the Nords and Yzerman on the Wings. Definitely star players IMO who didn't have team success early.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, but you don't.

it states (paraphrased to shorten) When puck has been deliberately directed into the net BY ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STICK, it is NO GOAL. You can not bat the puck into the net with any part of the body intentionally. This rule application is the same as using your hand to push it in.

Distinct kicking motion is not actually the correct rule to apply here, it only applies to the foot/skate.
Why did you say distinct kicking motion then? And as to the other rule there is not way that play would be called back due to that rule.

I am bringing it up because I understood Fat Ass's comment saying that TT can't be a star player because the Sabres were bad. IMO - I'm not a Sabres fan but love watching Sabres games because TT does stuff in game that almost no one else can do. There have been a TON of lesser players than 66 or 97 that I considered "star players" even though their team were bad. I used those 2 as extreme examples as guys who as I said "early in their career" were stuck on terrible teams but still dominated, and didn't have that domination translate into team success. You could make the same argument for guys like Sakic on the Nords and Yzerman on the Wings. Definitely star players IMO who didn't have team success early.
I agree...needing team success to be a superstar is nonsense.....though it is helpful as there would be more eyes on you

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Why did you say distinct kicking motion then? And as to the other rule there is not way that play would be called back due to that rule.
Because a kick includes your leg. The motion in the leg was distinct. So there was a deliberate movement to redirect the puck into the net with the leg. The original call was no goal. There is no way that should have been overturned.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Tell me you don't know the rules without telling me. Anyways this is getting too far off topic. Tage is a stud he will get 50.
Then lets see him do it down the stretch. Tage got silenced as the months went along. Buffalo's biggest concern is that they need depth to actually emerge.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Then lets see him do it down the stretch. Tage got silenced as the months went along. Buffalo's biggest concern is that they need depth to actually emerge.
You are completely ignoring all the people telling you he was injured.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Buffalo's biggest concern is that they need depth to actually emerge.

Much better problem to have than lacking elite top end talent…hopefully the Sabres get the depth they need.It’s a tougher situation to be a team that has a lackluster core without a high ceiling. I won’t name names.

Anyways, lame attempt at trying to pump up the Islanders because Thompson slowed down the stretch when he was injured. Hope it made you feel better!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad