Tage Thompson is a superstar

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Generational ..... Best player of his prime (around 10 years) (< 10)

Superstar ..... Well-known to sports fans generally outside of hockey

Star .... Well-known to most hockey fans

Local Star ..... Well-known to fans of a particular team who would hate to lose him

Quality Player ..... Known to fans of a particular team who wouldn't want to lose him, but wouldn't shed too many tears if they did

Average player ... May have some local fans; they come and go over the years

A player being well-known or popular has nothing to do with them being a "star".

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Do people on hfboards like hockey or do they prefer dipshit gatekeeping?

A hockey fan posts an unreal highlight video of a player and like 70 percent of the responses are 'ok' 'sabres fans want attention' etc etc.

I swear these boards have some of the smallest dick energy I have ever seen.

How about we enjoy the sport that these boards are about and save the smugness?

People recognizing and enjoying Thompson's talent doesn't mean that your favorite team's players aren't good too. God damn.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Do people on hfboards like hockey or do they prefer dipshit gatekeeping?

A hockey fan posts an unreal highlight video of a player and like 70 percent of the responses are 'ok' 'sabres fans want attention' etc etc.

I swear these boards have some of the smallest dick energy I have ever seen.

How about we enjoy the sport that these boards are about and save the smugness?

People recognizing and enjoying Thompson's talent doesn't mean that your favorite team's players aren't good too. God damn.
That’s just the internet as a whole.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Great player for sure. Superstar? I only consider maybe the top 5 or so players to be superstars. Does he fit into that category?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
TT is a very good player but he’s definitely not a superstar. Fans buy tickets to watch superstar players. I very much like TT (he’s better than some superstars when it comes to helping his club win) but imo he’s not a player fans pay to watch. Zegras likely has more fans paying to watch him play. But of course TT is a far better player. It’s just he’s not a star.
I guess we need to define what superstar means? TT is a dominant player. I don’t think he’s a star though.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
TT is a very good player but he’s definitely not a superstar. Fans buy tickets to watch superstar players. I very much like TT (he’s better than some superstars when it comes to helping his club win) but imo he’s not a player fans pay to watch. Zegras likely has more fans paying to watch him play. But of course TT is a far better player. It’s just he’s not a star.
I guess we need to define what superstar means? TT is a dominant player. I don’t think he’s a star though.
Bruh TT had one of the biggest highlight reel clips of anybody last season. Even the stuff on ESPN and TSN had him listed in several of the top plays/highlights.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Interesting definitions for some of these; IMO
- "trans-generational" should, as the wording implies, mean that their abilities transcend that era and they'd be dominant anytime (e.g. Jagr's strength and talent, Lidstrom's great play, etc.), so it's more about the longevity of their legacy vs where they stand on the pantheon of greats (agreed with the rest of your "generational" definitions)
odd definition

it should be
dominated in men and women' hockey

• Haha
Reactions: PettersonHughes

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Probably the same in all sports:

G.O.A.T. > Trans-Generational > Multi-Generational > Generational > Superstar > Star > Local Star > Quality Player > Average Player > Body

G.O.A.T ..... Greatest of All Time (1)

Trans-Generational ..... Best player of all time who is not the G.O.A.T. (1)

Multi-Generational ..... Best player of at least two generations (< 5)

Generational ..... Best player of his prime (around 10 years) (< 10)

Superstar ..... Well-known to sports fans generally outside of hockey

Star .... Well-known to most hockey fans

Local Star ..... Well-known to fans of a particular team who would hate to lose him

Quality Player ..... Known to fans of a particular team who wouldn't want to lose him, but wouldn't shed too many tears if they did

Average player ... May have some local fans; they come and go over the years

Body ..... Fills out the roster, hardly anybody notices his presence or absence or really even cares
Can you elaborate on the difference between greatest of all time and best of all time?

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Thompson is way more entertaining to watch than Zegras imo. 6'6 giant who dangles everybody, a laser accurate wrist shot and the hardest slapshot/one timer in the league. After McDavid I don't think there's a more entertaining player to watch ( I actually like his highlight reel more than McDavid's, but that's because I'm partial to players who can overpower goalies with their shot).

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I would say Thompson is one of the best players to watch from an entertainment point of view.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Ok Fat Ass.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
You don’t find many players who are 6’6 and can skate as well as Tage. He’s a pretty unique talent for a guy of his size. If he repeats his season from last year or even tops it, then there will be much discussion of him being a superstar in the making but I don’t think he’s there yet. He’s still currently a top 15 centre in the NHL though, has the potential to be top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad