Tage Thompson is a superstar

Dec 15, 2002
So what happened here? Did teams figure his game out?

The 10% is a lot more likely to be closer to his shooting percentage going forward than the 15-16%
That's 10% for the season. It can be broken up into "start of season to 1/11/24" when he got hurt vs. Ottawa but was shooting at a 12.7% clip and was 14-13-27 in 32 games, and "post 1/11/24" where he's been shooting at a 4.5% clip and is 3-4-7 in 17 games - and that includes a goal on Tuesday.

What's closer to the truth: no one has any good idea what his "average" shooting percentage is, because he's been so all over the place in his career.

Reactions: LarKing

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Based on what? A 15% shooting percentage doesn't even put him in the top 100 players this year. I'll take the two year sample size over the 40 games this year as closer to accurate.
A lot of the players in that top 100 have only played a handful of games or missed significant time. Pretty misleading. Only the very best shoot at that kind of percentage consistently. I wouldn't bet on him continuing to shoot 16%, but I do agree he's been unlucky this season.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
He became one of my fav players when I watched him the other night vs the panthers. Dude is unreal.

Same. Very noticeable.
Think this year is a slump due to the coaching/team/injury trio and he should be back to last years numbers.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
That's pretty hard to believe considering the way he shoots the puck when he's healthy.

I think his shooting percentage when healthy is more likely to be closer to 20% than 10%.
That's fair. I could very well be wrong. Not many players can sustain that kindve shooting percentage but perhaps his shot is good enough to be up there with the best

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wrist injury. He's not been playing with a full deck of cards.
lol so he is not all there in his head? Last I checked saying someone is not playing with a full deck means they are errr mentally deficient.

in American English​

have a full deck
to be sane, rational, or reasonably intelligent
Whoever dreamed up this scheme wasn't playing with a full deck

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I think you’d be surprised how many casual NHL fans don’t know who he is or couldn’t name his team.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Seems destined for a Joe Thornton-like career. Which is pretty pretty good.
??? At this age Joe was in the midst of a 125 point Art Ross/Hart trophy season. He has 1700gp (6th most all time) and 1500+ points (13th most all time). The disrespect

Last edited:

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
Imagine what Jumbo woulda done to celebrate a 5 goal game.
OIP.Jz_r0bs1fuplTAuJH62RqwHaGE

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have two teams, each has one of those two. Took them both pretty high….neither team is competitive to win now.
I have a team that has Tage, Hintz, Stutzle, Zegras, Norris

While they all have their worst season. I thought I had this shit in the bag at the beginning of the season haha

Reactions: Daz28

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
He is definitely one of those guys who looks like he can dominate every shift if he wants to. He's so huge out there, and look at that laser of a shot the other night against Tampa. That's just rifle-like. I don't know if his 47-goal and 94 season last year was a trend or an exception, because he is not doing that this year. But he certainly has the package to be great year in and year out. He skates well for a big man too. I don't know what it is this year with him, maybe his head, his mental game? But he always seems like he can put it together.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Been playing with injuries most notably his hand which he was playing with a brace for a month, the 1st line in general hasn’t been very good and he just had a newborn baby. Also the Sabres actually learning to play defense this year instead of running and gunning.

Pretty sure he’s on pace for a 90 point season in away games or something lol. He should be back next year or close to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad