Tage Thompson is a future star

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
played like a star every game vs Pittsburgh well before he broke out. So knew he had the talent to eventually get there.

Let's see another season of 30+ goals though before saying he's a star.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I remember getting flamed in the trade thread because I said the ROR deal wouldn't end up as lopsided as it originally looked due to Thompson's upside.
Thompson can turn out to be a good player, but it's still going to be lopsided given that Sobotka and Berglund were cap dumps and ROR won the Selke, Conn Smythe, and the Blues won a Cup.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Thompson can turn out to be a good player, but it's still going to be lopsided given that Sobotka and Berglund were cap dumps and ROR won the Selke, Conn Smythe, and the Blues won a Cup.
But then again it's not lopsided because the Blues beat the Bruins in the SC. It's just as fun watching the Bruins lose as the Sabres winning. That's how my therapist says I should think about it anyway.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Sabres were widely criticized for the O'Reilly trade, but is there anybody who wouldn't make that deal again from Buffalo's perspective?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The Sabres were widely criticized for the O'Reilly trade, but is there anybody who wouldn't make that deal again from Buffalo's perspective?
As lopsided as it was, and as ineptly as Botterill et al were in cornering themselves into a desperate scenario, ROR (or Gretzky and Lemieux) wouldn't have taken the Sabres into being a SC competitor during that time. It was just as well that Buffalo kicked the can down the road. If Thompson had a top draft pedigree or reputation that matched his current talent level, it still would have stung but nowhere near the face palming of immediately after. I'm definitely happy with the result, because the team is at the point of improving along with Thompson. The timing is good now.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That's why I said less lopsided instead of not lopsided. When the trade was made, many were already writing Thompson off as a bust/nothing prospect for whatever reason. There's also still a chance Thompson has a bigger impact on the success of Buffalo moving forward that will make it continue to look more like a win/win.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One of the most surprising player development stories in a long time.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Do you think Cozens has a chance at supplanting him as 1C eventually?
So far Cozens doesn't seem to have the same scoring touch. He's more in the two-way center mold. Of course, two-way centers can be 1Cs also, so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. It depends on how they both continue to develop. Krebs also has potential to be in one of those two spots.

Reactions: JohnLennon

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

No matter how good Tage gets, I'll still always question the wisdom of that trade (even if not the value). The Sabres were a young team trying to turn the corner. Why tf are you trading away a mid-20s Selke caliber C with actual leadership skills for futures??

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No matter how good Tage gets, I'll still always question the wisdom of that trade (even if not the value). The Sabres were a young team trying to turn the corner. Why tf are you trading away a mid-20s Selke caliber C with actual leadership skills for futures??

He kept going into the zamboni garage and peeing into the floor drain

Reactions: thebus88

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I hated the Blues trading him, but it was either TT, Kyrou or Thomas and the Blues aren’t trading those two.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Bump- Here’s how I see recent Sabres events.

1) Sabres got off to a hot start. People talk- it might be different this time! Tage slow start tho.
2) Ugly loss against Seattle right as talk reached its peak.
3) Ugly loss to the Habs! We outplayed ‘em, but shit, this is sliding now..
4) Injuries! 3 key starting dmen down already, oh no,
5) Showing skill vs the Hawks but the puck won’t go in, and after some brutal Sabres D breakdowns the hawks are up 3-1.
6) Tage hits post, dude has brutal puck luck so far.
7) Tage buries one with 9 minutes left in the 3rd. Buries another with 3 minutes left. Both 3 feet from net. Sabres win in OT on Olofsson goal.

Shoutout to Okposo, Skinner, and Olofsson, but Tage won us that one. We seem to struggle against new goalies a lot, and this dude was stopping everything. Sometimes you still need a big motherf***er with feet and hands down the middle, and that’s what Tage did there. He’s got some absolutely insane skills with his speed and shot, but when push came to shove dude just did work down by the net and he got results. And I know it sounds hyperbolic, but I think it was absolutely huge for him personally and for this team to hopefully stop the slide there. He seemed to be pressing a bit at times, feeling that contract and overpassing and shit- dude brought a giraffe-sized lunch pail with him last night and just got to work by the net. The team? Bro, 3 in a row to teams that shouldn’t be great after such a promising start, with injuries- it woulda been worrying, let’s just say that. And instead by the good grace of the tall one we got Dahlin and Thompson now rollin, VO is putting the haters on blast.

Tl:dr- Thompson gud, won game.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
But then again it's not lopsided because the Blues beat the Bruins in the SC. It's just as fun watching the Bruins lose as the Sabres winning. That's how my therapist says I should think about it anyway.
Also the Sabres needed rebuild and to reset their timeline. ROR wouldn't have fit the new timeline well and Tage fits it perfectly. Tage developing definitely negates much of the sting from that deal but Botts definitely got minimum value at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad