Tage Thompson is a future star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't get it, a couple years ago when he was playing against the Devils he seemed like a 4th line guy that would have a couple years in the nhl before leaving. I even thought the Devils got the better Thompson brother.

Did he do the Space Jam plot and steal other Nhler's talent?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't get it, a couple years ago when he was playing against the Devils he seemed like a 4th line guy that would have a couple years in the nhl before leaving. I even thought the Devils got the better Thompson brother.

My understanding is that last year was his first at centre.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
weird that having more responsibility made him better.:huh:
It wasn't so much the responsibility, but more due to his size he had more room to work as a center vs being on the wing. Granato kind of went into it a bit last year and said in watching him play the prior season he just felt like Tage needed more space due to his size and wingspan.

Reactions: dire wolf and Xirik

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I was a huge fan of his pre draft and wanted the habs to somehow get him, and that's not because I'm from CT and a uConn fan lol

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

It’s still a bit of a mystery- new coach, moved to center, grew into his body/skill finally, MJ’s magic water, some combo of those.

He’d have a shift every now and then that showed the talent, but he tended to just toe drag from the wing and do little else. Now he actually needs to use his speed, size, and other skills more from the center position. Dunno bout the other stuff, but that’s how I see that one particular thing affecting his game.

Reactions: sufferer

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
weird that having more responsibility made him better.:huh:

It worked for Tim Stutzle.

Sometimes they need a license to be able to go a bit more east-west.

That seems to be the answer. As a winger most of his play had him drift to the center of the ice for his shots. He wasn't a bubble hockey power winger. If you know a guy is going to the same thing every time it's easy to shut him down.

He moved to center which gave him more options, and he also learned some moves that weren't just a toe-drag; although as this video shows: his toe-drag is top notch.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Tage is just a massive guy. He has always had height but he has really bulked up and grown into his body, so he can just skate through a lot of guys. On Top of that, he has just enough finesse to really make some flashy plays.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
It's early yet, only 3 games, but he's been a non-factor outside of this goal. So hopefully this jump starts him and he can get rolling.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He was certainly impressive last night, that's for sure. He's got a Mario-like wingspan!

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
We aren't really sure if Ryan Johnson is going to sign and the other pick was traded away for Colin Miller.
Gotcha, well, johnson there's still a glimmer of hope on lol

Tho from his pov, I'd see why he'd look elsewhere given Dahlin-Power are the top 4 LD for the next 10-15 years give or take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad