WJC: Sweden announces WJC roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I would tell you to do it yourself but I'm bored and can't sleep so here you go.

Awesome, thanks. I was at work. Wasn't sure if there was just an easy way to look them up or if a chart was made somewhere.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Zibanejad is more complete player, though Rask's ceiling is higher.
Thanks.
The two are certainly intriguing and it will be nice to watch Zibanejad if he gets a chance to play.

It's so hard trying to find any real details on either of them, but I like both and hope that my team drafts at least one of them this summer. :nod:

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
it is announced that Paajarvi and Josefson wont be released by their NHL clubs. OEL is still doubtful. Hopefully Robin Lehner will be able to go, or else sweden will miss 4 high profile players at WJC, more than USA.

I'm 90% sure OEL will be allowed to play. He wants to play and the Coyotes have plenty of D-men in the AHL who can provide cover where necessary.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Klingberg - Järnkrok - Landeskog
Norman - Lander - Cehlin
Wallén - Lindberg - Fasth
Wännström - Larsson - Rensfeldt
Zibanejad

Larsson - Erixon
Nemeth - Almquist
Klingberg - Bertilsson
Styrman

IMO

Players still waiting for an OK from their respective teams in italics, including an extra player in parenthesis if they are not released:

Norman - Järnkrok - Landeskog
Cehlin - Lander - Klingberg
Larsson - Rensfeldt - Wännström
Wallén - Lindberg - Fasth
Everberg (Rakell)

Ekman-Larsson - Larsson
Erixon - Nemeth
Almqvist - Bertilsson
Styrman (Klingberg)

Lehner
Petterson-Wentzel
Gustafsson (Bjurö)

Rakell, Zibanejad and Brodin are the only 93-born players with a chance at making the final roster. My ranking of the goalies is just a guess, we'll see who makes a name for himself at the upcoming camp.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Why don't we discuss this on the international tourney boards, like the other WJC rosters? It's getting a little confusing here...

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
SWEDEN 2011 WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP SELECTION CAMP ROSTER

GOALIES -- Jonatan Bjuro, IF Malmo (2011 Draft eligible); Johan Gustafsson, Farjestads BK (Minnesota); Fredrik Petterson Wentzel, Almtuna IS (Atlanta).

DEFENSE -- Adam Almqvist, HV 71 (Detroit); Nils Andersson, Vaxjo (2011 Draft eligible); Simon Bertilsson, Brynas IF (Philadelphia); Jonas Brodin, Farjestads BK (2011 Draft eligible); Klas Dahlbeck, Linkopings HC (2011 Draft eligible); Tim Erixon, Skelleftea (Calgary); John Klingberg, Frolunda HC (Dallas); Adam Larsson, Skelleftea AIK (2011 Draft eligible); Patrik Nemeth, AIK IF (Dallas); Fredrik Styrman, Lulea HF (2011 Draft eligible).

FORWARDS -- Patrick Cehlin, Djurgardens IF (Nashville); Dennis Everberg, Rogle BK (2011 Draft eligible); Jesper Fast, HV 71 (Rangers); Max Friberg, Skovde IK (2011 Draft eligible); Calle Jarnkrok, Brynas IF (Detroit); Carl Klingberg, Frolunda HC (Atlanta); Anton Lander, Timra IK (Edmonton); Johan Larsson, Brynas IF (Minnesota); Oscar Lindberg, Skelleftea AIK (Phoenix); John Norman, Djurgardens IF (2011 Draft eligible); Rickard Rakell, Plymouth, OHL (2011 Draft eligible); Ludvig Rensfeldt, Brynas (Chicago); Johan Sundstrom, Frolunda HC (2011 Draft eligible); Erik Thorell, Skare BK (2011 Draft eligible); Jesper Tornberg, HV 71 (2011 Draft eligible); William Wallen, Frolunda HC (2011 Draft eligible); Sebastian Wannstrom, Brynas IF (St. Louis); Mika Zibanejad, Djurgardens IF (2011 Draft Eligible).

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/article/landeskog-named-to-team-sweden
Kitchener Rangers’ team captain Gabriel Landeskog has been selected to represent Team Sweden at the 2011 IIHF World Junior Championships in Buffalo, New York.

This marks Landeskog’s fourth appearance representing Team Sweden at the international level. He has played for his country’s U-16, U-17, and U-18 teams – with the exception of last year, as he was transitioning into his first season with Kitchener.

At the 2009 tournament Landeskog scored four goals in six games.

This year Landeskog was fortunate enough to forgo travel to Sweden for tryouts and received an automatic roster spot, avoiding having to leave his Rangers squad for an extended period.

“With the time zones, all that travelling would be hard on my body, so [the coaches] decided I could stay here and finish the games with Kitchener and then meet the team afterwards,†Landeskog explained.

Aside from being the Rangers captain, he has also led Team Sweden at the international level. The Stockholm native is also the youngest player in Swedish history to play for Djurgarden, and is among the youngest to have ever played in the Swedish Elite League.

Landeskog is eligible for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and is ranked as one of the top prospects in Canada – 1st overall in the Ontario League by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau.

“With this being my draft year, there’s going to be a lot of scouts there watching,†said Landeskog. “But I can’t really think of that. With team success, individual success comes with that too.â€

“I’m just going to go out there and work my hardest to try and help my team win the gold. But for now I’m just trying to focus on the Kitchener Rangers and doing as god as I can until then.â€

Agz

Sep 29, 2008
Lidköping, Sweden
He won't be at the camp in Sweden, but he will be on the team.

Yep. NHL.com just got it wrong.

If i were coach:

Goalies:
1. Robin Lehner
2. Johan Gustafsson
3. Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel

Comment:
Lehner is no.1 of course. P-W's season hasn't been good so far. He's let in some easy goals and has not been as sharp as last year. Gustafsson on the other han has been amazing most of the games he has played and also been better so far in the junior national team this year. But we'll se who will be on the bench an who will be 3rd.

1st line:
Dennis Everberg - Anton Lander (A) - Gabriel Landeskog (C)
Adam Larsson - Tim Erixon

Comment:
Everberg is similar to Tomas Holmström. Big body to put infront of the net and he is great on deflections and screening goalies. I was going to put Järnkrok as 1st center but i figured it's better to put Lander as 1st center, you'll see why. Landeskog?. No comment needed :) Larsson & Erixon played great together earlier this year if i remember correctly.

2nd line:
Ludvig Rensfeldt - Calle Järnkrok - Carl Klingberg
Adam Almqvist - Patrik Nemeth

Comment:
Järnkrok is really similar to Henrik Zetterberg, but waaay better than Zetterberg was when he was 18. A really good playmaker and off/def forward. His mate from Brynäs, Ludvig Rensfeldt is an amazing sniper and i those two should really be great together. Klingberg has a big body and will deliver hits and open up the ice for Calle & Ludvig. Almqvist is probably the best offensive defenseman on the team but his defense isn't really good but there's where Nemeth comes in! A great defensive defenseman.

3rd line:
John Norman - Johan Larsson (A) - Rickard Rakell
Jonas Brodin - Simon Bertilsson

Comment:
I don't know if Rakell makes the cut yet, but if he does, he should play with Norman & Larsson. Both of them can deliver amazing passes and Rakell can really score. On defense i picked Brodin with Bertilsson since it's not sure if Ekman-Larsson will play. But if he does, he'll take Brodin's place.

4th line:
Max Friberg - Oscar Lindberg - Sebastian Wännström

Extra players: Patrik Cehlin, Klas Dahlbeck

Comment:
A great 4th line. I placed Wännström here instead of Cehlin since i think Wännstrom is a better 4th line player than Cehlin.

Here's the complete roster with the NA players aswell: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?year0=2011&team=756

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that Canadas defense looks scaaary good!.
Gromley, De Haan, Ellis, Cowen & Gudbranson to name a few.. omg.
But hopefully we'll win the final this year :) haha

Afro Thunder*

:( no Sorenson, as a fan of the sens I want as many of the prospects to make the juniors so I could actually be able to watch some competent NHL hockey from the organization.

At least Landeskog is there, future sen draft pick :P

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
He won't be at the camp in Sweden, but he will be on the team.
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/article/landeskog-named-to-team-sweden
Kitchener Rangers’ team captain Gabriel Landeskog has been selected to represent Team Sweden at the 2011 IIHF World Junior Championships in Buffalo, New York.

This marks Landeskog’s fourth appearance representing Team Sweden at the international level. He has played for his country’s U-16, U-17, and U-18 teams – with the exception of last year, as he was transitioning into his first season with Kitchener.

At the 2009 tournament Landeskog scored four goals in six games.

This year Landeskog was fortunate enough to forgo travel to Sweden for tryouts and received an automatic roster spot, avoiding having to leave his Rangers squad for an extended period.

“With the time zones, all that travelling would be hard on my body, so [the coaches] decided I could stay here and finish the games with Kitchener and then meet the team afterwards,†Landeskog explained.

Aside from being the Rangers captain, he has also led Team Sweden at the international level. The Stockholm native is also the youngest player in Swedish history to play for Djurgarden, and is among the youngest to have ever played in the Swedish Elite League.

Landeskog is eligible for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and is ranked as one of the top prospects in Canada – 1st overall in the Ontario League by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau.

“With this being my draft year, there’s going to be a lot of scouts there watching,†said Landeskog. “But I can’t really think of that. With team success, individual success comes with that too.â€

“I’m just going to go out there and work my hardest to try and help my team win the gold. But for now I’m just trying to focus on the Kitchener Rangers and doing as god as I can until then.â€

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Things are not looking too good for P-W, he'll need one heck of a camp if he wants to keep a spot over Gustafsson. Almtuna's other -91 born goalie Magnus Hellberg(a really under the radar guy) has been the team's starter more or less lately, and the goalie coach Mikael Andreasson thinks he's just as good as P-W.

edit: Hellberg just had a 45 shot shutout..maybe they picked the wrong goaltender.

Last edited:

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
Everberg was never drafted right? He was eligible? Was he highly ranked? Supposed to be drafted?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, no way I'd take Dahlbeck over Nemeth, but Cehlin should definitely be on the team IMO.

Agz

Sep 29, 2008
Lidköping, Sweden
Yep. Nemeth is waaaaaaaaaaay better than Dahlbeck.

And yes, they should've picked Hellberg instead of Pettersson-Wentzel.
I think Lehner & Gustafsson will take the starter & backup positions. Bjurö will go home after the camp and P-W will travel with the team as 3rd.

BUT!. for the pre-tournament games he might play some, since i don't think Lehner will join the team until just before the tournament.

I don't know who's best of Gustafsson & Lehner but Lehner is bigger and used to the smaller ice so maybe it's better to have him as the starter.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Where's Peter Andersson - the Canucks draft pick?

Peter has struggled with a Frölunda team that has had a chaotic season so far. One assist in 22 games while only playing about 6 minutes on average. After being loaned to Borås in Allsvenskan he's shown signs of improving with 2 goals in 9 games, but that turnaround wasn't enough to get on the selection camp roster.

Everberg was never drafted right? He was eligible? Was he highly ranked? Supposed to be drafted?

Late '91 birthday - New Year's Eve, actually, so I believe 2010 was his first year of eligibility. Don't see him on Central Scouting's list, as opposed to undrafted defensemen Nils Andersson (#72) and Fredrik Styrman (#139) who will also be at the camp.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The team isn't as strong as last year individually, but as a team, they can be considered as strong - if not stronger.

I'm really looking forward to watching Landskog. But being Sweden I'm guessing they'll roll 4 lines through the tournament, giving each line like 15 minutes per game.

And they'll probably not have special pp-lines either. Swedish coaches are the worst in the world - they are more concerned with everyone being treated fairly, than they are interested in winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad