Suspended: Spezza 6 games (Reduced to 4 games) | Pionk 2 games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Parros and his team aren't there to fix the officiating from last night. Pionk not getting penalized and thrown out of the game for what he did was one of the worst pieces of officiating I've seen... and we've seen a lot of dumb crap. Not even a 2 minute tripping call? Jesus. Everything that happened after was their fault for not doing their job. It is really that simple and they deserve every bit of scrutiny.

Spezza fully deserves to get punished and suspended. That was predatory and dangerous. In person though? I've seen people almost decapitate other players with elbows and they only got fined.That seems like a petty decision from Parros based on emotion that his department has been heavily criticized and they don't give a shit. This, THIS, got a fine:

The Leafs are always on the wrong side of these, despite what people might think that the league favours them.

Last edited:
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
So I assume Pionk is going to get 1 game just for optics.

Spezza will get 2 to 4 games.

Absolutely should be reverses. One was a play in which any hockey player in an advanced level understands they cannot do with leading with below their hip for a hit - Pionk did not want to let Sandin pass and did nothing to avoid the knee on knee. It was a predatory position to be in which Pionk had the time to commit to a check with his upperbody or with his stick but had the disadvantage of Sandin coming with speed and Pionk less momentum so he did the most dangerous thing and kept his wide stance and hit with his lower body. This is a play which cause potentially career altering outcomes and it was on Pionk to avoid.

The other play was a reckless hit in which the result was bad the a knee to the face - but clearly you cannot plan in the short time frame of Pionk getting down to play the puck and Spezza to decide a knee to the face is the plan. Spezza was going to hit Pionk no matter what. If he had the puck or did not. It should be a one game suspension.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
That's the issue with the league.

Now I don't know Sandins status, but it's a potential season ending, perhaps career changing injury.

Joke.

Time for Shanny/Dubas, or one of the other spineless cowards at MLSE to stand up.
Shanny a spineless coward ?????????????
Wow now that’s an interesting take …
Oh well , you certainly have the right to your opinion .

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It should be delayed until the injury details are known.

They don't punish injury, they punish intent, but the intent was there and it did lead to injury.

The intent was also there for Spezza, but really this falls on the referees incompetence. They let it get out of hand and should also face discipline.

My guess, Pionk 2 games, Spezza 3.

Reactions: Ciao and banks

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I actually cannot understand why Spezza is getting a minimum of 5 games, equivalent to Lemieux's two chomps. Pionk had clearly stuck out the leg (...intent?). Spezza hit the chest (unless there is a different angle).

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think I am OK with the in person hearing for Spezza play. It was clearly a predatory hit, and really just a dumb play by Spezz. That said, this play never happens if the f***ing refs get a handle on the game. It's f***ing complete garbage.

Same shit happened with the last Kadri suspension in 2019. Boston ran around doing whatever they wanted in that game 2. Debrusk then throws a dirty hit on Marleau into the dasher that doesn't get called, and Kadri reacts accordingly. Why does Debrusk throw that hit? because he knows it won't get called.

If you don't call the clear and obvious penalties, the players will begin to police the game themselves.

Spezza will miss time, Pionk will miss time, countless other players and coaches will be fined, yet the officiating crew who let this shit f***ing happen collect their paycheques and have zero consequences.

It's absolutely mind numbing to me.

Honestly, Good on Spezz. I'm not a fan of the hit Spezz made, but I love the intention behind it. Pionk needs to understand there is consequences for his bullshit. This isn't the first time that clown has taken a suspect run at our guys. He's going to have to keep his head up next game, because the benefit of the doubt is out the f***ing window.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
They don't punish injury, they punish intent, but the intent was there and it did lead to injury.

The intent was also there for Spezza, but really this falls on the referees incompetence. They let it get out of hand and should also face discipline.

My guess, Pionk 2 games, Spezza 3.
they have literally always taken outcomes into consideration for handing out punishment.

Reactions: Lilou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad