Friedman: Suspects Vegas will be in on Marner

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Vegas would be an ideal spot for Marner. Reset from the pressure of the Leafs market and an established locker room where the team won’t revolve around him. The exact sort of situation that he could thrive in. He won’t ever be a playoff warrior in the physical sense, but with the right team around him he could dominate. The talent is all there if he figures it out.

If they want to flip us a top pairing D, then yes please. He’s not going to figure it out here, it’s too deep into his psyche.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
They probably only try for it if they can't re-sign Marchy. Them and Marchy were suppose to start talking extension a week ago i think, so it is a little concerning that this news is coming out now.

Although it confuses me that they won't re-sign Marchy, but will spend 10+ million on Marner for his next contract? Marner is the better regular season player no doubt, but he is questionable when it comes to the playoffs.
Eh, I can see a world were Marner out of the "spotlight" absolutely has a good playoffs. Pressure is a different beast here, especially as the hometown kid that's suppose to lead you to your first Stanley Cup since 67. He starts to try to do to much and tries to hard to force plays and ends up looking bad.

I think a Theodore + Thompson is a pretty good start to the deal for Marner. Not sure how Vegas fans feel about it.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't fully understand how that Cap works from a Vegas perspective. That makes for an awfully top-heavy lineup, given what Marner makes and what he's likely to command on an extension. But it does feel like an entire Vegas move. They're plenty keen to chase the "big names" and have shown as much on multiple occasions.

I'd guess this would effectively be at the expense of letting Marchessault and Stephenson walk. Kind of weird to me, in that their superlative depth was an enormous factor in winning their Cup...and it feels like they're running in the opposite direction. But since the salary doesn't seem to exist for them, maybe they know what they're doing. :dunno:

From the Toronto end...i think that getting Theodore could be big for them. They could really use his puck moving and transition ability, as well as some PP acumen. Getting him re-signed might be tough and/or expensive, but he's definitely the sort of big minutes defenceman they need, to help keep the ice tilted in their favour.

I don't really think Thompson is the answer in net though. We've seen how interchangeable goaltenders are with Vegas. I don't think just plugging him in with the Leafs is going to completely "fix" things. Though i guess he's probably good enough to platoon with Woll whenever he's not injured.

When Vegas extended Hanifin, it seemed like the writing was on the wall for Theodore. Theodore's next contract is going to be substantial and its hard to see Vegas keeping him long term when both Pietrangelo and Hanifin have long term big $$ deals. So a trade like this makes some sense, though I'm not sure Marner is the guy Vegas should target. .

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Vegas traded Fleury for future considerations. They traded Pacioretty for future considerations. They traded away Smith right after their cup win for a 5th.

I absolutely believe Vegas would do something like this.
Also Tatar after paying a high price for him at the TDL in the initial Pacioretty trade. Say what you will about Vegas, they don't shy away from making moves.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
giphy.gif

A cup win gave McCrimmon a lot of grace with me but man this does not help a contention that he's treating real life like NHL24 Be a GM mode.
With the Salary Cap turned off. :sarcasm::laugh:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Friedman didn't report this is close or even this is a potential deal. He was having a say on a podcast and did say he heard Vegas could sniff around but outside of that just guessed at what Toronto might want.

This thread makes it seem like this is being reported as fact. No wonder people think Friedman fell off, people report things on his behalf

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Leafs trading Marner for two 1 year UFA’s would be dumb

Yes I’m aware Marner is a UFA as well but you need a better return on that type of player

Is it really that hard to understand that extensions are likely in trades like these? HF always act like trading for a UFA means guaranteed no new deal, when many many times these deals have extensions within hours/days/weeks of the trade.

Teams don't give up premier players for pending UFA/RFAs unless they are certain they are signing said players to new deals.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If Vegas did this they better pray no one gets injured because those bottom two lines will
Be uuuuuugly.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So they're just advertising that they're flagrantly abusing the LTIR or they're icing 7 players.

Cool.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
The Marchessault vs Marner playoff comments are funny considering Marchessault had 1 point in 7 career playoff games before going to Vegas at 27. Marner just turned 27. At 25 Marchessault had 1 point in 5 playoff games. At the same age Marner had 14 in 11. Put Marner in Vegas away from that loser franchise, and watch him shine. Marchessault is going to be turning 34 this upcoming season, and outside of 2 amazing playoff runs for him, his playoff performance has been every bit as spotty. Marchessault is going to be on the decline, and Marner is in his prime. I know who I would choose going forward in the playoffs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Ya, I’m just not sure why any contender would say “yes, I’d like to do the leafs and Mitch a favor, I’d like to risk our run on whether he can turn it around”. Like- that’s what he offers, and you’re paying for the regular season point-fest as well. No thanks.
No one will do the Leafs a favour. A team will have to believe that he will help them.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Friedman didn't report this is close or even this is a potential deal. He was having a say on a podcast and did say he heard Vegas could sniff around but outside of that just guessed at what Toronto might want.

This thread makes it seem like this is being reported as fact. No wonder people think Friedman fell off, people report things on his behalf
Yea when I listened to the segment on my bike ride last night I got a completely different vibe from what he actually said vs what's being talked about in this thread. He's basically throwing names out that he's heard people basically throw at a wall. Not an actual rumor but more something like hey this could make sense if Vegas is even interested.

The real damming part of the piece was Friedman talking about how delicately Keefe had to handle Marner because of his thin skin and fragile ego

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Marchessault vs Marner playoff comments are funny considering Marchessault had 1 point in 7 career playoff games before going to Vegas at 27. Marner just turned 27. At 25 Marchessault had 1 point in 5 playoff games. At the same age Marner had 14 in 11. Put Marner in Vegas away from that loser franchise, and watch him shine. Marchessault is going to be turning 34 this upcoming season, and outside of 2 amazing playoff runs for him, his playoff performance has been every bit as spotty. Marchessault is going to be on the decline, and Marner is in his prime. I know who I would choose going forward in the playoffs.
I'm old enough to remember when Datsyuk was a playoff failure.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I want to reiterate that I think Vegas should have 0 interest in a diva like Marner, but it is fun to speculate on trades...

Anaheim seems to have more cap space than they know what to do with this summer. Vegas seems to like cost certainty and has both goalies hitting UFA after next season. I wonder if they'd want to do something like acquire John Gibson with retention in a similar fashion to how and why they got Hertl with retention. A 3 way deal something like...

To Vegas: Marner, Gibson
To Toronto: Theodore, Hill
To Anaheim: Futures from each team

The thing is I'm not sure what would go to Anaheim in a deal like this. If they retain on Marner the trade would need to be done after Marner's July bonus is paid, problem is both Toronto and Vegas dont have a 2025 1st. However if they only retain on Gibson maybe they could get Vegas' 2024 1st and a player like Robertson from Toronto.

Reactions: Dog

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I feel like Vegas and Marner win this one.

Theodore is obviously the important piece for the Leafs, but they would be getting magic beans in Thompson. He has all the earmarks of a system goaltender- and Toronto's system is not Vegas's system...

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yea when I listened to the segment on my bike ride last night I got a completely different vibe from what he actually said vs what's being talked about in this thread. He's basically throwing names out that he's heard people basically throw at a wall. Not an actual rumor but more something like hey this could make sense if Vegas is even interested.

The real damming part of the piece was Friedman talking about how delicately Keefe had to handle Marner because of his thin skin and fragile ego

Yeah that made me cringe too. He literally said that Keefe was as hard as he wanted to be on Nylander and Matthews to an extent but had to be gentle with Marner. Dude is so soft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad