TV: Survivor: General Discussion

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Your second paragraph makes more sense than your first, the general public are assholes and there are a bunch of ways for people to harass other people. Jeff being all "make it nice" or whatever is just him being out of touch.

Could a villian not hide themselves during the process and then turn on the switch when they get to Fiji?
Yep, there are plenty of villains out there in the world, not sure why Jeff feels the need to shelter the show from them. If it's for the kids, I think it would be more helpful for the kids to see that some people are just nasty, but you can still be good and succeed in spite of them. He has gone as far to say that there will never be another villain as long as he's in charge of the show. Apparently Mark Burnett was a bigger fan of the villains, but I think he's sort of taken a back seat.

I imagine that a villain could try to do that, but I'm sure they'd probably get a really bad edit and likely get booted early. I don't think most modern Survivor players would put up with a true villain character for too long.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
IIRC I thought he had also said at one point that it had to do with the way that fans treat villain players. They get abused and bullied online. Hell, Maria from this season wasn't even really a villain, and she got doxxed and harassed relentlessly.
Yes this is the reason, also their edits used to just be meaner and less flattering, I think they toned it down for these reasons too; I mean reality TV in general used to just be mean, like early American Idol, Fear Factor, ect
But come on Maria was a villain. She had no social awareness out the gate, was cockier than she should have been and then it just spiraled after the rock/paper/scissors fiasco. The way they gave her the hero's exit when she was voted out with the triumphant score music and all, was just f***ing embarrassing; and that's the problem, the edit tried to create something that wasn't there, which was the lovable super mom who was on the door step of winning. The only villain edit they've done in the new era was Shan, and it was still very lighthearted and she was playing into it

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yes this is the reason, also their edits used to just be meaner and less flattering, I think they toned it down for these reasons too; I mean reality TV in general used to just be mean, like early American Idol, Fear Factor, ect
But come on Maria was a villain. She had no social awareness out the gate, was cockier than she should have been and then it just spiraled after the rock/paper/scissors fiasco. The way they gave her the hero's exit when she was voted out with the triumphant score music and all, was just f***ing embarrassing; and that's the problem, the edit tried to create something that wasn't there, which was the lovable super mom who was on the door step of winning. The only villain edit they've done in the new era was Shan, and it was still very lighthearted and she was playing into it
Yeah I mean, Maria was definitely cocky into the end game. The rock-paper-scissors thing was perfectly devious lol and definitely pushes her into villain territory I suppose. But she was no Fairplay/Russel/Corrine

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Jeff just doesnt want straight up assholes like Russel anymore.
Russell is the extreme, you can still have villains that aren't that crazy. Show has become so vanilla. The villains is what make camp life entertaining.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
Yeah I mean, Maria was definitely cocky into the end game. The rock-paper-scissors thing was perfectly devious lol and definitely pushes her into villain territory I suppose. But she was no Fairplay/Russel/Corrine
Ever since I began watching the show, I have held the belief that reward invites (especially family visits) should be decided by asking the tribemates to pick a random number or partake in a game of RPS. Maybe I'm just Pejorative Slured, because I don't understand why a large percentage of viewers disagreed with Maria's decision.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
I am hard pressed to come up with 20 players I would want to see for season 50. Seasons 39, 41 and 42 are a blank for me; with season 41 being the worst in its history, in my opinion. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Cassidy, Tevin, Charlie, Noelle, Jesse, Cody, James, Yam Yam, Carson, Drew, Emily, Kaleb, Hunter, Tiffany. This is based on my assumption players from seasons 40-current will be cast. Hopefully casting can find some future legends in seasons 47-49; it's been a while since they have found one.

Damn, just looking back at photos from seasons in the 30s -- casting did an amazing job. Edit: From 2001 to 2019, Lynne Spillman was the casting director; Jesse Tannenbaum succeeded her. This guy f***ing stinks. It is no wonder why the show changed when he took over for season 39.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Ever since I began watching the show, I have held the belief that reward invites (especially family visits) should be decided by asking the tribemates to pick a random number or partake in a game of RPS. Maybe I'm just Pejorative Slured, because I don't understand why a large percentage of viewers disagreed with Maria's decision.
well part of the issue with Maria was her nonsense the reward before about “I’m taking the person who needs to the food the most”. And then taking Q who had just been on reward. Maria gave a lot of lip service but then ultimately didn’t make a decision.

If RPS was the norm it would be different, but this was so random and she lip service she gave beforehand ends up feeling insulting imo.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Moved on to Blood vs. Water. Powering through it pretty quickly. Excellent season so far.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Finished Blood vs. Water the other day. I already knew who won, but still an excellent season. I already really liked Tyson and had seen him on multiple seasons before, but he cemented his spot as my favorite player after BvW. Big Ciera fan as well. Took some major drive and Mamba mentality for her to do what she did.

I've moved on to Nicaragua, great season so far. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and this cast is chock-full of characters. Watching these older seasons really puts into perspective how bland and vanilla the casting is in current seasons. They try so hard to diversify the casts, but it ultimately just winds up being a bunch of vanilla people who all wanna go there and be best buddies with everyone.

They would never cast another Naonka, or Jimmy T.... Hell they don't even cast famous people anymore. I don't believe they've cast one notably famous person in the post 40 era. Jimmy fkn Johnson was on Nicaragua for crying out loud!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Finished Blood vs. Water the other day. I already knew who won, but still an excellent season. I already really liked Tyson and had seen him on multiple seasons before, but he cemented his spot as my favorite player after BvW. Big Ciera fan as well. Took some major drive and Mamba mentality for her to do what she did.

I've moved on to Nicaragua, great season so far. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and this cast is chock-full of characters. Watching these older seasons really puts into perspective how bland and vanilla the casting is in current seasons. They try so hard to diversify the casts, but it ultimately just winds up being a bunch of vanilla people who all wanna go there and be best buddies with everyone.

They would never cast another Naonka, or Jimmy T.... Hell they don't even cast famous people anymore. I don't believe they've cast one notably famous person in the post 40 era. Jimmy fkn Johnson was on Nicaragua for crying out loud!
Biggest issue today with casting is casting all white collar, really high education people.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Biggest issue today with casting is casting all white collar, really high education people.
Yep. They had like 3 lawyers on two seasons ago lol. Gotta get back to casting more every day people and some edgy folks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad