NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Smarts and speed and quickness better than rotting slow corpses like JVR and Lucic, and Shattenkirk.

I don't mind Kiviranta. I fondly remember his hat trick against the Avs in a G7 in the 2020 playoffs (seems like the Avs do too), but I don't think he's done enough apart from that highlight. Even for a bottom 6 forward, the production just hasn't been where it should be for a guy who seems to have some decent skill. And you have to ask why the Stars didn't re-sign him and no-one else was willing to in the offseason.

Wouldn't have hated it if the Bruins had given him a look, but it doesn't bother me that they haven't. Too much potential, not enough execution from a guy who's now been around for a while. Perhaps it will all eventually click, if so can only say good for him. Not one to lose sleep over.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I don't mind Kiviranta. I fondly remember his hat trick against the Avs in a G7 in the 2020 playoffs (seems like the Avs do too), but I don't think he's done enough apart from that highlight. Even for a bottom 6 forward, the production just hasn't been where it should be for a guy who seems to have some decent skill. And you have to ask why the Stars didn't re-sign him and no-one else was willing to in the offseason.

Wouldn't have hated it if the Bruins had given him a look, but it doesn't bother me that they haven't. Too much potential, not enough execution from a guy who's now been around for a while. Perhaps it will all eventually click, if so can only say good for him. Not one to lose sleep over.
Those are the arguments against him for sure, but better him than Chiasson, another one who moves like a slug.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I think that's what he means. Not necessarily a Leafs "mistake" if Matthews gave them no alternative.
Hockey players aren't underpaid in general.

But they are grossly underpaid when it comes to comparing to the big four sports. This is cherry picking to the nth degree but Matthews will make about $1m more than Orioles backup catcher James McCann. Good for McCann I guess?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Hockey players aren't underpaid in general.

But they are grossly underpaid when it comes to comparing to the big four sports. This is cherry picking to the nth degree but Matthews will make about $1m more than Orioles backup catcher James McCann. Good for McCann I guess?
Baseball pulled in $10.5B in revenue in 2022. NHL was less than $5B.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bill Peters, former head coach of the Flames accused by Akim Aliu of racial allegations and of others for kicking and punching another former player, being hired by Lethbridge Hurricanes in the WHL

Do better Lethbridge, do better, surely there are more worthy candidates out there

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Bill Peters, former head coach of the Flames accused by Akim Aliu of racial allegations and of others for kicking and punching another former player, being hired by Lethbridge Hurricanes in the WHL

Do better Lethbridge, do better, surely there are more worthy candidates out there
Sounds like Lethbridge alright. :shakehead

Reactions: lopey

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
so disgusting, the guy has a history of being incapable of being respectful to players , let alone kids whose parents watch their young sons moving to small towns to be under the watch of coaches, billet families etc...ugg
Just for clarity for some folks - I live in Lethbridge. So when I criticize, it's not punching down from some great metropolis - it's from a place of nauseating familiarity.

You're right. Shouldn't be a coach of anything, let alone these kids.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Kegs

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

With guys like Peters, Vanbiesbrouck, Mitchell Miller, etc. is there any path to redemption or are they to be banned from work forever because of the sins they've done in the past?

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
With guys like Peters, Vanbiesbrouck, Mitchell Miller, etc. is there any path to redemption or are they to be banned from work forever because of the sins they've done in the past?
Case by case, considering the blackballing that Aliu suffered through at the hands of Peters in addition to the racist language, Peters doesn't deserve sh$t

Reactions: Blade of Schmautz

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Of course there is a path, but they have to walk it.

Baseball pulled in $10.5B in revenue in 2022. NHL was less than $5B.
They play 2x as many games too.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
lord knows I have been given more than just a few chances to change but what Peters did and repeatedly, for this guy, is inexcusable and he made his bed plus the fact that I can`t be convinced there isn`t or aren`t better options on the coaching scene than him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad