NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The mistake was Tavares ( a luxury they couldn't afford or really need) I think that was more about keeping him from Boston than anything else.

Yup, that is where Dubas ruined the whole operation. Hell, without having Tavares on the team at $11m/yr maybe he can talk Matthews and Marner into taking $9m or $9.5m bridge deals. That would've saved another 3.5-4 against the cap

That $11m could've gone a long way to giving the team the defender/goalie it's been missing since day 1. For example...Pietrangelo

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If this is true ... what a win win for the bruins and me.

The leafs are stuck with Tavares...they know he can't be traded for obvious reasons. However one of Marner Matthews or Nylander are players that would garnish interest with good return. Matthews and his new contract makes him much less attractive.
That’s why these long contracts are bad.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I said this about the recent NBA Super Max, it's a bad thing!. No player is worth that, the same goes for this crappy contract, it's awful!.

Without a salary cap Prime LeBron would have been worth a number so big you can't even put an actual total on it. But imagine what the Knicks or Lakers would pay right now for a free agent Jokic without a cap of any kind.

These teams are worth billions. The players are the only reason they have any value.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Matthews is worth every penny. The Leafs only mistake was going short term.

They made the same mistake on their last deal and instead of having him for 3 more years at a discount they're paying a premium for 4.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I totally agree.

IMO Matthews is that player I can totally seeing going downhill fast.

I don't think Matthews "really" gets what it takes yet to be a top 3-5 player and most importantly 3 zone contributor in the NHL yet. And I have my doubts if he will ever feel the need or desire to get there because they have been coddled and catered to from the get-go in Toronto.

Having sad that he has shown snippets of that at times and has the tools, brain, and physical skills to do exactly that if he really decided to go all-in. I think he could be a N#2 in the league just behind McDavid and present a unique challenge to D with his shot, skating, and size as a legit power forward in the NHL.

Up to him really, and if he had been groomed under different leadership and management I feel there would be a legit debate around the fast McDavid and the heavy Matthews and who you'd want to build around.

No debate at all today, but he could make a jump IMO.

Reactions: BMC

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Understood and the US and Canada deals are roughly a billion $1B USD a year and I admit I'm not sure who bears the costs of production, promotion, etc to get to net. Overall Revenue is $5B so the gate / concessions / royalty stuff is still 80% and that doesn't include the other $1B or so of adjacent event / concerts for those owners of the venues...

The TV stuff, that's circa $30M a team before costs, tax, etc... from TV with the rest another $120M or so overall That $30M covers his and Drai's real salairies meaning the gate needs to cover the rest plus all the franchise expenses and facilities, costs, labour, etc.... Connor makes circa $5M in non NHL salary deals (sponsorship / etc), maybe the rest on the roster make another 5-10M max for off ice stuff.

I haven't looked into the NBA and other leagues but it is a potentially unfortunate reality that the NHL is still really a gate and concession driven league vs. MLB, NBA and NFL.

Reactions: BMC and Kegs

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Red Sox parent company’s broadcasting portfolio looks primed to expand this fall when it assumes responsibility for carrying Pittsburgh Penguins games.
Another new chapter could be added by next spring.
AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, the regional sports network of the NHL’s Penguins and MLB’s Pirates, is bowing out of the business because of strategic decisions made earlier this year by its parent company, Warner Bros. Discovery.
The Penguins appear to be turning within their corporate family for a replacement.
Fenway Sports Group, which purchased the Penguins less than two years ago, owns 80 percent of NESN, which broadcasts both Red Sox and Bruins games.

The Bruins, owned by Jeremy Jacobs, own the other 20 percent of NESN.

“With the recent changes at AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, Warner Bros Discovery, the Pittsburgh Penguins, and NESN have been working collaboratively to ensure that fans have access to their favorite teams this fall,” read a statement from NESN and the Penguins. “Discussions are progressing well, and we expect exciting news in the coming weeks.”

Fenway Sports Group purchased the Penguins in November of 2021 for approximately $900 million. The principal owner of FSG is John Henry, who also owns the Globe.

The Pirates’ deal with AT&T Sports Network will run through the current baseball season, after which the club will have to find a new broadcast partner.

That could turn out to be another NESN-involved solution.

“NESN would be a great partner,” Pirates owner Bob Nutting told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last month. “They’re very competent. I have a lot of respect for Fenway Sports Group. I’ve been friends with John and [chairman] Tom [Werner] for a long time. That easily could work out.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Matthews is worth every penny. The Leafs only mistake was going short term.

They made the same mistake on their last deal and instead of having him for 3 more years at a discount they're paying a premium for 4.
Your assuming he wanted more years.

If these guys think NESN would be a great partner then their network really, really sucks.
Werner……:laugh:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Without a salary cap Prime LeBron would have been worth a number so big you can't even put an actual total on it. But imagine what the Knicks or Lakers would pay right now for a free agent Jokic without a cap of any kind.

These teams are worth billions. The players are the only reason they have any value.
What about the TV deals? How many teams aren’t in the red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad