NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
At that point in their careers (roughly) Bergeron and Marchand were taking deals that allowed the team to pay other quality players in order to contend.

15% of the cap on one guy is a lot.

Especially one who has yet to do anything remarkable when it counts.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
It's interesting to me that Matthews never seem to want to sign max term deals with Toronto.
I mean would you? That media up there is relentless, if they don’t win a cup soon they are all going to tear him to shreds.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
At that point in their careers (roughly) Bergeron and Marchand were taking deals that allowed the team to pay other quality players in order to contend.

15% of the cap on one guy is a lot.

Especially one who has yet to do anything remarkable when it counts.

It's a fair point. I would say that one of the counter-arguments to be made by a guy like Matthews is that the team-friendly contracts taken by players like Bergeron still didn't get them a Cup. Close is no cigar and 2011 came before those sort of discount deals were being made. The things are damn hard to win and require a good dose of luck so perhaps no point worrying about them too much and instead prioritizing getting yourself paid as much as you reasonably can while you can.

I'd also say that the era of team-friendly deals looks to be pretty much dead. Just about all of the top players are jumping in to secure their best possible value now. Very few compromises to be found in the last couple of years when it comes to money.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's a fair point. I would say that one of the counter-arguments to be made by a guy like Matthews is that the team-friendly contracts taken by players like Bergeron still didn't get them a Cup. Close is no cigar and 2011 came before those sort of discount deals were being made. The things are damn hard to win and require a good dose of luck so perhaps no point worrying about them too much and instead prioritizing getting yourself paid as much as you reasonably can while you can.

I'd also say that the era of team-friendly deals looks to be pretty much dead. Just about all of the top players are jumping in to secure their best possible value now. Very few compromises to be found in the last couple of years when it comes to money.

Fair.

But don’t forget after the team friendly deals, they played in a cup final, that in all honesty, should have been theirs.

I know it’s dumb to think this way (maybe not dumb, but unrealistic) but as a 53 year old who has neither sniffed a cup win nor an annual salary approaching what Matthews will earn in month 1 of this deal…..if it were me, knowing what I know at my age, I’d play for 8/9 million a year to hopefully have a real chance at cup.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Fair.

But don’t forget after the team friendly deals, they played in a cup final, that in all honesty, should have been theirs.

I know it’s dumb to think this way (maybe not dumb, but unrealistic) but as a 53 year old who has neither sniffed a cup win nor an annual salary approaching what Matthews will earn in month 1 of this deal…..if it were me, knowing what I know at my age, I’d play for 8/9 million a year to hopefully have a real chance at cup.

I would too, or at least I like to think I would! But in general attitudes have changed. I think the agents have played a significant part in that. Bigger deals means a bigger cut for them, and team success isn't their concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and sarge88

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Get the impression he just wants to maximize his career earning potential by taking advantage of salary cap increases.
If they likely aren't gonna win in Toronto, at least he'll be paid handsomely.

Not saying they WON'T win, but this same strategy of team building has gotten them in trouble.

It will be interesting if they change how the rest of the teams salary is spread around. Having 3 of the higher paid forwards in the league (hasn't really resulted in much playoff success)

At least they made it out of the 1st round last year, unlike another team I won't mention.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Matthews 44 pts in 50 career playoff games. Draisaitl 77 pts in 49 playoff games. I know which one I want on my team when it counts.

Yep, Draisaitl for me too, and exactly for that reason. He's a playoff beast, and what's of more value than that? I think their regular season performance is very close - Draisaitl inflates his points totals with a lot of PP, 4v4 etc. tallies, and 5v5 their numbers are much the same. He and Matthews each have their strengths, both are elite centers. But Drai's ability to get it done when it matters most gives him the nod in my mind.

Would very happily have either on my team, but pick just one? Leon for sure.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yep, Draisaitl for me too, and exactly for that reason. He's a playoff beast, and what's of more value than that? I think their regular season performance is very close - Draisaitl inflates his points totals with a lot of PP, 4v4 etc. tallies, and 5v5 their numbers are much the same. He and Matthews each have their strengths, both are elite centers. But Drai's ability to get it done when it matters most gives him the nod in my mind.

Would very happily have either on my team, but pick just one? Leon for sure.

Reactions: UncleRico

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I understand why Toronto management had to lock him up. I'm just real curious how Toronto is going to manage the cap going forward and still be able to ice a competitive team.
It also makes me wonder who pushed for the 13.25m, Matthews or his agent, and which is more important to Matthews money or a championship?
At the same time I don't blame Matthews - Maple Leaf management agreed to that amount, so take the money.
It will be interesting.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Now do playoff series won while being the team's best player and being surrounded with far more talent than Edmonton over the past several years...

He’s 25 and the Leafs haven’t won anything in over a half a century, clearly he’s the problem.

Edmonton has had plenty of talent and has the best player in the world, hasn’t won them anything.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Watching TSN last night (…..such Leaf homers it’s almost embarrassing!!!)…..they showed a load of Matthews goals. He strikes me now as the pre-Stanley Cup Ovechkin. Scores goals but cannot strap the team to his back and lead them in the playoffs. Once Ovie wanted to really win a Cup and was surrounded with better players, he could beat Sid & Pens in the playoffs and win a Cup. That’s what I’ll watch for now with Matthews and the Leafs…….while I block TSN from my channel lineup LOL!!!!!

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He’s 25 and the Leafs haven’t won anything in over a half a century, clearly he’s the problem.

Edmonton has had plenty of talent and has the best player in the world, hasn’t won them anything.

He's the biggest star on the team and has a bad disappearing act facing eliminiation. In 11 games he has a 2-5-7, -2 line with 6 scoreless games and only 1 game with more than 1 point

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Watching TSN last night (…..such Leaf homers it’s almost embarrassing!!!)…..they showed a load of Matthews goals. He strikes me now as the pre-Stanley Cup Ovechkin. Scores goals but cannot strap the team to his back and lead them in the playoffs. Once Ovie wanted to really win a Cup and was surrounded with better players, he could beat Sid & Pens in the playoffs and win a Cup. That’s what I’ll watch for now with Matthews and the Leafs…….while I block TSN from my channel lineup LOL!!!!!

its Almost like winning the Cup is hard and not something one guy can just strap the team on his back.

Jack Eichel couldn’t lead Buffalo to the playoffs, he was a cancer, self centered, over paid and now he’s got a ring and I don’t hear any of that.

Ovechkin changed his game when he got a coach who knew how to deal with him and he matured as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad