NHL Summer 2023 Preseason - Mike Babcock Resigns as HC of CBJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Sabres never recovered from Lucic hitting Miller.

I thought it was a good hit- Miller came almost half way up the Sabres zone to play the puck & Lucic didn't hit him until Miller sent the puck up the boards so it wasn't interference. Lucic had every right to hit him but because it was Miller it was an outrage.

I've always said if goalies don't want to get hit then they need to stay in the crease. That goes for Bruins' goaltenders too.
The aftermath had me cracking up as much as the hit. Vanek straight-up bounced off Looch going after him. Sekera and Pominville clearly wanted nothing to do with Looch aside from a couple obligatory shoves after seeing him obliterate their goalie. Of those 3 Sabres, one was a "C" and another was an "A." Shows what a boss Looch was at the time -- trucked a star goalie then watched 3 Sabres shit their pants as they had to act like they wanted a piece of him.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yup.

You are protected like the president in the crease, stay there if you dont want to get hit. If you want to roam and act like a defenseman, then be ready to get hit like one.

This might be this board's longest running terrible take, an opinion so inane that if you think about it critically for even one second the very strands of space and time themselves start to unwind.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The aftermath had me cracking up as much as the hit. Vanek straight-up bounced off Looch going after him. Sekera and Pominville clearly wanted nothing to do with Looch aside from a couple obligatory shoves after seeing him obliterate their goalie. Of those 3 Sabres, one was a "C" and another was an "A." Shows what a boss Looch was at the time -- trucked a star goalie then watched 3 Sabres shit their pants as they had to act like they wanted a piece of him.

Even the "revenge" fight the next game where Gaustad drew the short straw was embarrassing.

I like Jeanneret saying "dont forget they have a goalie too" like who on The Sabres was gonna do anything with Lucic/Thornton/Chara/McQuaid on the ice

This might be this board's longest running terrible take, an opinion so inane that if you think about it critically for even one second the very strands of space and time themselves start to unwind.

Boo hoo, I guess youre one of the "but their pads arent made for hits" crowd. Once again, stay in the crease, hell stay below the goal line and you're fine. Come up by the dots and you're fair game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and jgatie

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Ok so if Bobby Orr is playing today in the NHL at say the age of 22…..does he get $25M a season? Or $30M?

Just my 2 cents. Matthews is a good player, no doubt. Money isn’t a surprise at all. But again I think TO paid him based on what they want him to do…..but they have yet to see him lead them really deep in the playoffs. Let’s see if he can…….(I don’t think he can IMO)

Reactions: sarge88

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Agreed overall and felt bad for Gaustad who had to carry the jock of that whole roster in the setup fight.

Having said that, and not to pour salt on the wound or be the contrarian, but the B's didn't do jack either when Krejci got suckered / TKO on the top of the crease back in the day. All these responses have their backstories and we rarely hear of them but that was a very sad day for the franchise. Not as bad as the Buffalo situation but pretty damn bad...

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The Leafs have hitched their wagon to Mathews, not the guy I would as he is unable to elevate his game when it matters the most, the playoffs.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Matthews is one of the top what... 3? 5? Players in the game?

The AAV isn't the bad thing about this contract. It's the number of years. You would hope if you're giving a guy that kind of money you'd get something more than middle-term. In a few years when he's up again, I can only imagine what his salary demands will be.

Still, I'd be very happy if I were a Leafs fan.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

The AAV isn't the bad thing about this contract. It's the number of years. You would hope if you're giving a guy that kind of money you'd get something more than middle-term. In a few years when he's up again, I can only imagine what his salary demands will be.

Nailed it.

(Probably the second best player in the league.)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Sabres never recovered from Lucic hitting Miller.

I thought it was a good hit- Miller came almost half way up the Sabres zone to play the puck & Lucic didn't hit him until Miller sent the puck up the boards so it wasn't interference. Lucic had every right to hit him but because it was Miller it was an outrage.

I've always said if goalies don't want to get hit then they need to stay in the crease. That goes for Bruins' goaltenders too.
While you may have enjoyed it as a fan, you are 100% wrong about Lucic having the right or that it wasn't a penalty.

From the NHL Rule book:
A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

Now you may want to argue that Lucic made a reasonable effort to avoid contact.. but a) he didn't and b) you imply that Lucic meant to hit him and c) you say he hit him after Miller already passed the puck, so he was no longer "in the act of playing the puck".

It was fun, but it was a penalty.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
A legit #1 center is the hardest thing to acquire. if you don’t draft one you’re going to not only have to spend a ton of money but give up a ton of asset’s.

While I enjoy laughing at the Leafs, this isn’t a reason IMO.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Nailed it.

(Probably the second best player in the league.)

There are several players who are superior to Mathews, McDavid, Draitsal and McKinnon immediately come to mind. Those 3 guys consistently show up in the playoffs unlike Mathews who has shown time and time again that he is unable to elevate his game when the stakes are highest.

Reactions: EdH

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There are several players who are superior to Mathews, McDavid, Draitsal and McKinnon immediately come to mind. Those 3 guys consistently show up in the playoffs unlike Mathews who has shown time and time again that he is unable to elevate his game when the stakes are highest.

Anyone taking Draitsal over Matthews is someone I want working for Montreal.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I’d love to see him in a Bruins uniform, but we’ve got a juggernaut at center and wth all the deep playoff runs we’ve had - we don’t need him.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Yeah if I were a Leafs fan I could accept the dollars, even if I think they're a little too high, but the term is problematic. Matthews is a great player and, although I still consider his playoff performance underwhelming, for better or worse Toronto have firmly backed him in as 'the guy' to build their franchise around, and all they can do now is continue to honor that commitment. Guys like Matthews are irreplaceable in the short and even medium term. For that sort of outlay I'd still have liked to see him locked up for longer though.

Reactions: JOKER 192

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Assuming he stays healthy, obviously a great deal for the Matthews' camp. Major money for 4 yrs, then can soak some team for even more on a max contract in his final deal.

While I'm not a fan of Matthews, he is worth what he just signed for. Fair deal for both the team and the player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad