Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
There's no way Ottawa would do that without an Extension and Seguin likely doesn't want to play there.
That's what I was thinking. I mean who in their right mind would want to sign a contract with Ottawa right now?

But hey, it ups the Sharks chances of acquiring Seguin as a UFA

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Possible Karlsson would not want to come here because of burns. Doesnt want to compete with him for #1

I don't think people are taking this into consideration. A lot of these guys have egos. They wanna be "The Man". Fans would love to have 2 of the best offensive d-men on their team but the players may not feel the same way. They'd rather get the PP and icetime and put up 70+ points instead of sharing the pie and get 50. If we trade for him we better get a signed extension because I don't think he'll stay and share the spotlight with another Norris candidate.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Its possible. But if they can move Spezza they can keep Seguin. That'd be a hell of a trade
Would be tough to make it all work for next year though with Seguin's raise, Karlsson's, signing whichever of their RFA (Ritchie, Shore, Janmark, Lindell, Honka) that are not traded.

I ran a quick number crunch and they would be at $80 million if they signed Ritchie, Shore, Janmark, and Heatherington to deals totaling $14 million between the 4 (suspect Honka going back to Ottawa as part of the package). Add in Lindell getting a bump to ~$5 million (double what he makes now) and Karlsson at $11 mil and Seguin at $12 mil and they are already at $80 million on the cap next year and would still need 2 more D and a forward or two to fill out the roster. I expect the cap somewhere around $82-$84 million next year so finances would be quite tight.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I don't think people are taking this into consideration. A lot of these guys have egos. They wanna be "The Man". Fans would love to have 2 of the best offensive d-men on their team but the players may not feel the same way. They'd rather get the PP and icetime and put up 70+ points instead of sharing the pie and get 50. If we trade for him we better get a signed extension because I don't think he'll stay and share the spotlight with another Norris candidate.

Klingberg is even better than Burns though.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Didn’t seem to be a problem when Crosby/Malkin won 3 Cups and 3 Conn Smythes together.

Karlsson and Burns would both play on the PP together. There would be no “sharing the pie”. Burns would likely shift to a trigger man at the left point and Karlsson would take LaBanc’s spot as the QB on the right point.

Klingberg is even better than Burns though.

No he’s not. Burns was the 2nd best player in the NHL in the regular season in 2016-2017. Klingberg will never be at that level.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Possible Karlsson would not want to come here because of burns. Doesnt want to compete with him for #1

One of the two players is very good at making outlet passes out of the zone and plays at least average in his own zone. The other one is Brent Burns. Karlsson can do everything Burns can do at a higher level except for maybe getting pucks on net. They’re pretty equal there. Karlsson is the #1 on any team.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Would Pavelski have any value to Dallas in a Seguin trade as part of a larger package of young assets? If they got Karlsson they would be in win-now mode clearly so he would offer some help in that regard. Something like Pavelski+Tierney+Gambrell+Ryan/Meier+2020 1st+2019 2nd? SJ makes Couture the captain and moves forward with Seguin as the 1C. Just spitballing ideas.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

jarr92

May 7, 2013
How many people around here calling for EK have watched him play extensively since his Achilles injury?

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Panarin is the only non-center huge trade I’d try to make if I were DW. The Sharks need a top 10 offensive talent at the very least if they aren’t getting a true 1C.

He seems like the only elite player like that which may be obtainable for the Sharks.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would Pavelski have any value to Dallas in a Seguin trade as part of a larger package of young assets? If they got Karlsson they would be in win-now mode clearly so he would offer some help in that regard. Something like Pavelski+Tierney+Gambrell+Ryan/Meier+2020 1st+2019 2nd? SJ makes Couture the captain and moves forward with Seguin as the 1C. Just spitballing ideas.

Unless Dallas is one of his three teams, I wouldn’t bet on it.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Maybe DW shouldn't have done the Hoffman thing in hindsight haha because he could have done Hoffman + EK

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The whole Hoffman ending up back in the East might have soured our chances for EK
At the end of the day Ottawa is going to lose Karlsson and if no one has a better offer they should totally take whatever they can get. At least EK isn't going within their division if he trades to the Sharks... Or not. :sarcasm:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
At the end of the day Ottawa is going to lose Karlsson and if no one has a better offer they should totally take whatever they can get. At least EK isn't going within their division if he trades to the Sharks... Or not. :sarcasm:

Wilson turns around and sends karlsson to tampa for point.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why would we want trouba at $8m vs EK at $11m EK is easily 3m better.

EK requires us to take Ryan and pay signficantly more assets. Also, Trouba likely ends up at closer to $7M and Karlsson likely ends up at closer to $12M.

I would rather add EK though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad