Sugar Shawn please show up.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
I can't believe some of this talk about Thornton. Shawn Thornton is about is perfect as you can get in his role. The B's were off to a 5-0-1 record and some guys are complaining about him on here. Then he goes in and takes on the biggest fighter in the league and basically shows that he doesn't have any reservations about putting it on the line and people on here still give him the gears. I hope he never reads anything on here...

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
In no way shape or form does this take away from or impact the high opinion I have of Thornton. There's a lot more to him and what he brings to the team than an L in the fight loss column.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
“If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal." Bieksa on Scott.

Plugs should fight plugs. Bieksa may be a turbo doosh, but that's actually sound advice lol!

Sugar may technically be our "heavyweight", but he's much more than that on this team, and he shouldn't be fighting absolute plugs like John ****ing Scott, unless he has to. Most nights this fight would be his, but the B's brought Macdermid up to handle this bull **** tonight.

I know Claude probably didn't want to embarrass Shawn by keeping em on the bench for a faceoff, but maybe he should have if his intention was to match Macdermid up against Scott. He should know by now that Sugar won't back down from anybody, even if you specifically tell em to lol! The guy actually fought the Boogeyman (rip), ffs. No way was he going to duck this guy.

Whatever tho. Those who say they have never lost a fight have probably never even been in one. Sugar's 1 hell of a tough guy, and tough guys are often way too proud for their own good sometimes. I'm sure his pride took the brunt of the hits last night. He'll be back.

I just hope he realizes that even though he doesn't have a letter on his jersey, he IS a leader on this team; and seeing your emotional leader get trashed like that has a pretty profound effect on your teammates. Look at the **** the Sabres got away with after Sugar left the game: diving, elbowing, uuuum...scoring (jk) ;)

Seriously tho, we need Shawn out there playing when he's supposed to play. He's great at knowing when to fight. Maybe not so great at knowing when NOT to fight. He's earned the right to pick his spots under certain circumstances, and tonight was 1 of those nights where he should have respectfully declined and let the new guy do the dirty work. We brought Macdermid up for 1 reason: so the biggest meathead in the league didn't get a chance to effect the hockey game going on out there tonight. Big fail.

You're a beauty, Sugar. Don't let anyone tell ya any different ;)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Plugs should fight plugs. Bieksa may be a turbo doosh, but that's actually sound advice lol!

Sugar may technically be our "heavyweight", but he's much more than that on this team, and he shouldn't be fighting absolute plugs like John ****ing Scott, unless he has to. Most nights this fight would be his, but the B's brought Macdermid up to handle this bull **** tonight.

I know Claude probably didn't want to embarrass Shawn by keeping em on the bench for a faceoff, but maybe he should have if his intention was to match Macdermid up against Scott. He should know by now that Sugar won't back down from anybody, even if you specifically tell em to lol! The guy actually fought the Boogeyman (rip), ffs. No way was he going to duck this guy.

Whatever tho. Those who say they have never lost a fight have probably never even been in one. Sugar's 1 hell of a tough guy, and tough guys are often way too proud for their own good sometimes. I'm sure his pride took the brunt of the hits last night. He'll be back.

I just hope he realizes that even though he doesn't have a letter on his jersey, he IS a leader on this team; and seeing your emotional leader get trashed like that has a pretty profound effect on your teammates. Look at the **** the Sabres got away with after Sugar left the game: diving, elbowing, uuuum...scoring (jk) ;)

Seriously tho, we need Shawn out there playing when he's supposed to play. He's great at knowing when to fight. Maybe not so great at knowing when NOT to fight. He's earned the right to pick his spots under certain circumstances, and tonight was 1 of those nights where he should have respectfully declined and let the new guy do the dirty work. We brought Macdermid up for 1 reason: so the biggest meathead in the league didn't get a chance to effect the hockey game going on out there tonight. Big fail.

You're a beauty, Sugar. Don't let anyone tell ya any different ;)

Taking on the biggest toughest guy on the other team is thorntons job and he's amazingly good at it considering his size. He lost. It happens.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Yeah, it is. Mcdermid is a decent fighter but he isn't a heavyweight. And no veteran is going to willingly step aside and let a rookie call up do his job for him.

Not Shawn's call, even if he feels other wise. And what possible other reason was Macdermid called up for?

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Now they can let Lane plug the 4th line role. ST isn't going to be around forever. They could be grooming Macdermid to be the functional fighter/hockey player for the future.

No doubt. But until the day Macdermid proves himself to be a better hockey player than Shawn, his job is to take meat heads like John Scott off the ice.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No doubt. But until the day Macdermid proves himself to be a better hockey player than Shawn, his job is to take meat heads like John Scott off the ice.

I want to disagree with you but at the end of the day you are correct.

By dressing McDermid tonight the Bruins dropped down to Buffalo's level in not dressing the best hockey players and basically guaranteed that a bum like Scott who can't skate was going to have some form of influence on the hockey game.

McDermid wasn't playing to score goals or help the pp etc. Him being a middleweight is irrelevant he played tonight because we thought there would be a lot of fights. And the Bruins got bullied by a team it is used to bullying.

And the Bruins enforcer got knocked out and McDermid did not fight the guy who did it. Therefore I have a hard time seeing how/why he belongs on the team right now.

Not trying to pick on McDermid but he was in the lineup in case things got chippy and we got our ***** kicked and he did nothing. See ya dude I don't want any part of a average AHL pugilist lets see what Robbins brings if we go this route again or find a strait up goon.

Fact of the matter is we are not a tough team when we go up against actual tough teams. Luckily there are very very few of them. But the Pittsburgh team who maimed Savard was a tougher team than us. And Marc's teammates did nothing.

Obviously we are not like Vancouver at all. But Vancouver is a chippy team who all of a sudden loses any sort of toughness they have the minute they get matched up against an equally tough or tougher team. Similarly if we come up against a team tougher than us we lose our edge and toughness completely and almost look soft.

Now do we counter that by dumping Campbell and Thornton for better fighters and having Z fight 4th liners or letting McQuaid and Horton potentially get destroyed by a real fighter? No. Probably not.

It just is what it is, Scott won easily and tonight the Sabres gave us a beating physically.

There is never going to be more than 2-3 teams equally as tough or tougher than the Bruins. But unfortunately after tonight one of them may be in Buffalo.

That is no knock on the Bruins its just facing facts. Things change, and if teams decide they want to sacrifice hockey skill to become a tougher team than the 2012 Boston Bruins squad who was probably the toughest NHL team in 2011 2012 (maybe not 09-10 when Boogyman was around and the Pens were tougher) there is nothing the Bruins can do about it. Except play hockey. Not dress ****ing McDermid to sit on the bench and have a front row view of Shawn Thornton getting laid out and a couple players getting cheapshotted.

And this stuff only matters a couple games a year. Never matters in the playoffs. Just playing McDermid for one of them was a FAIL.

Later Lane...

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
All those people saying Thornton will hold his own against Scott and that Scott is terrible are REALLLY quiet in this thread...

Buffalo site is HF Boards/NHL Eastern Conference/Northeast Division/Buffalo Sabres.

Password to get in is: "SabreFanBoy"

Your welcome.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Like Bourque isn't. A bum.?
I want to disagree with you but at the end of the day you are correct.

By dressing McDermid tonight the Bruins dropped down to Buffalo's level in not dressing the best hockey players and basically guaranteed that a bum like Scott who can't skate was going to have some form of influence on the hockey game.

McDermid wasn't playing to score goals or help the pp etc. Him being a middleweight is irrelevant he played tonight because we thought there would be a lot of fights. And the Bruins got bullied by a team it is used to bullying.

And the Bruins enforcer got knocked out and McDermid did not fight the guy who did it. Therefore I have a hard time seeing how/why he belongs on the team right now.

Not trying to pick on McDermid but he was in the lineup in case things got chippy and we got our ***** kicked and he did nothing. See ya dude I don't want any part of a average AHL pugilist lets see what Robbins brings if we go this route again or find a strait up goon.

Fact of the matter is we are not a tough team when we go up against actual tough teams. Luckily there are very very few of them. But the Pittsburgh team who maimed Savard was a tougher team than us. And Marc's teammates did nothing.

Obviously we are not like Vancouver at all. But Vancouver is a chippy team who all of a sudden loses any sort of toughness they have the minute they get matched up against an equally tough or tougher team. Similarly if we come up against a team tougher than us we lose our edge and toughness completely and almost look soft.

Now do we counter that by dumping Campbell and Thornton for better fighters and having Z fight 4th liners or letting McQuaid and Horton potentially get destroyed by a real fighter? No. Probably not.

It just is what it is, Scott won easily and tonight the Sabres gave us a beating physically.

There is never going to be more than 2-3 teams equally as tough or tougher than the Bruins. But unfortunately after tonight one of them may be in Buffalo.

That is no knock on the Bruins its just facing facts. Things change, and if teams decide they want to sacrifice hockey skill to become a tougher team than the 2012 Boston Bruins squad who was probably the toughest NHL team in 2011 2012 (maybe not 09-10 when Boogyman was around and the Pens were tougher) there is nothing the Bruins can do about it. Except play hockey. Not dress ****ing McDermid to sit on the bench and have a front row view of Shawn Thornton getting laid out and a couple players getting cheapshotted.

And this stuff only matters a couple games a year. Never matters in the playoffs. Just playing McDermid for one of them was a FAIL.

Later Lane...

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Have you ever seen MacDermid fight? He would get murdered by Scott. Thornton did exactly what he needed to do, he just didn't fare real well.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Color me impressed...I thought Shawn would do much better...I'm not going to be shocked that a 6-8 270 lb guy effed up a 6-1 200 lb guy though... :laugh:

So I take it you no longer think Lucic would be ok to go with Scott, because he is not a goalie five minutes in the box is nothing, looking back maybe you see that it may end up being more than the five minutes, more like possibly a month or more with a concussion, doubt Thorton returns this year.

Bri

Jul 13, 2005
Color me impressed...I thought Shawn would do much better...I'm not going to be shocked that a 6-8 270 lb guy effed up a 6-1 200 lb guy though... :laugh:

Even Probert lost fights, it happens. The consequences of not tying up his right hand off the bat are magnified when you're giving up 7 inches and 40 pounds. He's capable of going up against anybody in the league but when he loses to a Boogaard, an Orr, a Scott, he's going to look completely overmatched.

Agree with both of you. The biggest problem Shawn had was that he didn't get a hold of Scott's sleeve/arm. If he had managed to do that, it's a different fight. I think most of us saw what Colton Orr did to Scott. There's no reason to think that Thornton couldn't do similarly. Credit to Scott, he won the fight.

Have you ever seen MacDermid fight? He would get murdered by Scott. Thornton did exactly what he needed to do, he just didn't fare real well.

Agreed. MacDermid has a ton of heart, but he's at a huge disadvantage against Scott.

And look, I think the Bruins are fine. Thorty lost a fight, it happens. What they don't want to do is overreact and somehow believe they suddenly aren't tough because Shawn lost a fight. They have plenty of toughness. Let Buffalo overreact and waste a roster spot.

Our problem last night was not losing a fight it was team defense. I'll give Chara a pass, but that was probably his worst game ever in a Bruins uniform. If the Bruins defensive game last night was a close approximation of their average defensive effort, they win that game. That's something Claude can fix.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

yes, he did what he had to do....unfortunately it ended bad

I wish he had told Scott keep your head up skating around but maybe thats not the code....Scott is to big, to strong, to be allowed to have a full tank of oxygen and a mindset of the fight, not in in-game action where he would not have been so set.

Buffalo strategy was downright brilliant- Ott plays it straight, they ALL take the body, and their one golden arrow is a bullseye

one robin don't make a spring, one game like this only defines a season if you let it; Boston has been down two games in the SC Finals and two games in the opening round to Montreal- I don't think this group is going to go into the fetal position

I've read some crazy stuff on HF about this fight and what it means to the Bruins and all I can say is hopefully those commentating are teenagers who still have not had their brains developed; it would be scary if some of these folks are adults

I'm sure Boston will show up next Buffalo game and truth be told the silver lining is we have some serious hate between these two teams which is out-stand-ing

hope Shawn is ok but other than that bleep happens

all the best fighters ended up getting their heads handed to them at one time or another- its inevitable if this is what you do

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
So I take it you no longer think Lucic would be ok to go with Scott, because he is not a goalie five minutes in the box is nothing, looking back maybe you see that it may end up being more than the five minutes, more like possibly a month or more with a concussion, doubt Thorton returns this year.

Leave it up to him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Not sure why it seems like people think some are upset because he lost... I don't care that he lost... I care that he got hurt. He means more to this team then a goon. He ignites this tired ass team many nights.. Wonder where the spark will come from now when needed.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
Hope Shawn is OK and ready to play his game in Buffalo. As far as fights go, this one was more humbling than humiliating. As long as his head is clear I'd expect that the next one ends differently.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Not sure why it seems like people think some are upset because he lost... I don't care that he lost... I care that he got hurt. He means more to this team then a goon. He ignites this tired ass team many nights.. Wonder where the spark will come from now when needed.

This...
The guy has an important role with this team. Wanting to make him the new HF Boards whipping boy cause he lost a fight (or cause Krejci is out of the dog house) is ridiculous.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This...
The guy has an important role with this team. Wanting to make him the new HF Boards whipping boy cause he lost a fight (or cause Krejci is out of the dog house) is ridiculous.

Agreed. Anyone who wants to slag off ST because he lost to Scott should hang their heads.

Colton Orr -- everyone's poster child for hardass fighter -- got knocked out for God's sake. It happens.

Hope ST is ok first of all, secondly I hope he's back doing what he does for Boston very soon. And that's a lot more than fighting -- regardless of what the morons on the main pages are saying.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site

Yeah, again this....the guy found a home in our burg, he is an adopted Bostonian, he KNOWS what it's like around here, what the B's mean to their fans, what the team did by giving him the opportunity....he doesn't tolerate BS.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
yes, he did what he had to do....unfortunately it ended bad

i wish he had told scott keep your head up skating around but maybe thats not the code....scott is to big, to strong, to be allowed to have a full tank of oxygen and a mindset of the fight, not in in-game action where he would not have been so set.

Buffalo strategy was downright brilliant- ott plays it straight, they all take the body, and their one golden arrow is a bullseye

one robin don't make a spring, one game like this only defines a season if you let it; boston has been down two games in the sc finals and two games in the opening round to montreal- i don't think this group is going to go into the fetal position

i've read some crazy stuff on hf about this fight and what it means to the bruins and all i can say is hopefully those commentating are teenagers who still have not had their brains developed; it would be scary if some of these folks are adults

i'm sure boston will show up next buffalo game and truth be told the silver lining is we have some serious hate between these two teams which is out-stand-ing

hope shawn is ok but other than that bleep happens

all the best fighters ended up getting their heads handed to them at one time or another- its inevitable if this is what you do

qft +1,000

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Agreed. Anyone who wants to slag off ST because he lost to Scott should hang their heads.

Colton Orr -- everyone's poster child for hardass fighter -- got knocked out for God's sake. It happens.

Hope ST is ok first of all, secondly I hope he's back doing what he does for Boston very soon. And that's a lot more than fighting -- regardless of what the morons on the main pages are saying.

As has every so called heavyweight champ since I've been watching from Kurtenbach to Schultz-Semenko-Crowder-Probert-Laraque-Godard-Boogaard and eventually Scott who was sent to his knees by an Orr body shot punch last week. Doesn't mean much as Scott didn't beat the hell out of Krejci or Bergeron or Lucic or Chara or some other bonafide hockey player. 2 role players fought,one lost,doesn't mean much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad