Sudbury Wolves 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
Why would they be traded next deadline? Do you think they’re going to go all in this year? Doesn’t seem like a smart idea imo especially when you are losing one of the most talented players in the league.
All in this year? Where are you getting that from. We sell Musty, McCoy and DeAngelis this year. Then Villy and Walton next year as trading one major piece will not turn around the entire team. Does it mean we can't compete next year no, but at the moment there is no sign of a top level goalie with us right now. Marshall and Kwachuck will be OAs next year and Gaulton hasn't taken that step yet. How will they be able to compete next season with no goalie and a just as still young d core.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
All in this year? Where are you getting that from. We sell Musty, McCoy and DeAngelis this year. Then Villy and Walton next year as trading one major piece will not turn around the entire team. Does it mean we can't compete next year no, but at the moment there is no sign of a top level goalie with us right now. Marshall and Kwachuck will be OAs next year and Gaulton hasn't taken that step yet. How will they be able to compete next season with no goalie and a just as still young d core.
I believe Marshall will only be 19 next season..

Reactions: frontsfan67

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Colby Barlows situation was a billion times better than this. They got it done right at the start of the season pretty well- that’s how you treat your star players that have been with you for years. NOT refusing to trade your player for what is going on a month now. They’re being very very picky probably. You’re not going to get as much for a guy that has attitude problems and an “individual player” over a guy that doesn’t- simple as that

Two different situations. Barlow's request came quietly at the end of his season so the Attack had the summer to figure out the situation. Musty's request came after he was sent back by San Jose when the OHL season had already started. Musty is not being treated badly, he is not a victim here. It is hard to find a trade
Do you think it takes a month for a trade to happen?

Its some big process where it takes a month to figure out some picks involved and a young player?

Or better yet- since musty may not be worth that young player as he is toxic, just picks?

The Attack took the whole summer and part of the start of the OHL season to trade Barlow. Barlow had a specific team request and that team couldn't put together a decent enough package. Oshawa came in with something the Attack thought to be fair, trade completed.

Lets do this in the reverse. Quinton Burns gets sent back to Kingston by St Louis and he decides to stay home and request a trade in the same time period as Musty did. No one makes any fair offers for him. He's been sitting way too long and the best offer after three weeks is from Sudbury offering their 18 year old sixth defenseman, a 3rd and a 5th. Would you do the deal? No one does that deal.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
If Musty, Delic, McCoy, Deangelis are all traded who is left to be captain? Certainly think he would get some consideration after them.View attachment 920316villy with the A on there. So who doesn’t know what they’re talking about again?
We all know he has an A, he got it when Musty was stripped of his after his request.

If he gets the C it will be next season

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Do you know teams are lowballing? Maybe Papineau is telling teams to match or beat the return for Barlow. I don’t think it is reasonable to demand an over payment.
No clue.... I have no insider information.

I find it hard to believe if Papineau had something that he deemed to be fair value for Musty that he would chose not to accept the deal and hold out for an overpayment. He knows Musty isn't coming back. He knows he has to get a return for him. But he's a first round pick. The compensation should reflect that.

He's not going to hold a grudge and not make what he deems to be a fair trade just to prove a point. It just seems like people on this board make it seem like he's holding Musty hostage. I really don't believe that. He's looking for market value. Market value is looking at comparable trades and getting similar value. I believe this is what RP is doing.

I want this over. I'm sure Paps does too. Let's move on.

Reactions: cub and Wiserbud

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Watching him play and tell me what he’s worth.

Hes a first round pick ffs

Teams know he wants out and they are lowballing.

I really don’t think wolves are holding a grudge here. They just aren’t seeing value
I’m not debating he is worth that. My point is with the teams knowing Sudbury has to get rid of him soon do you not think they’re going to lowball the crap out of them? Whatever he goes for I doubt it’s going to be what wolves fans want it to be

I think you don’t understand what I’m saying. I implied that they should sell off musty McCoy and Deangelis for starters this year as they’re not going to do anything in a year the east is so stacked not to mention you’re going to lose one of if not the most talented players in the east. I implied they should sell those 3 off for starters and maybe Delic too and then build around Villeneuve, Walton and the team next year with a crap ton of picks and probably a younger player or two that you get when trading those 3/4

I NEVER implied trading Villeneuve or Walton lol that was someone else

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I’m not debating he is worth that. My point is with the teams knowing Sudbury has to get rid of him soon do you not think they’re going to lowball the crap out of them? Whatever he goes for I doubt it’s going to be what wolves fans want it to be

I think you don’t understand what I’m saying. I implied that they should sell off musty McCoy and Deangelis for starters this year as they’re not going to do anything in a year the east is so stacked not to mention you’re going to lose one of if not the most talented players in the east. I implied they should sell those 3 off for starters and maybe Delic too and then build around Villeneuve, Walton and the team next year with a crap ton of picks and probably a younger player or two that you get when trading those 3/4

I NEVER implied trading Villeneuve or Walton lol that was someone else
I never said you implied that. I said we trade them next year and build for the following year because to me it doesn't make sense to sell this year and go all in next. You sell this year and next building then go all in.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I never said you implied that. I said we trade them next year and build for the following year because to me it doesn't make sense to sell this year and go all in next. You sell this year and next building then go all in.
It was perfectly clear what you were trying to say and makes complete sense. Sell this year, sell next year make a run the l season after with the assets you've acquired. Unfortunately a specific poster seems to have trouble following along.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I would think when this mess is all said and done Papineau will be the focus of attention on how he handeled this situation.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I would think when this mess is all said and done Papineau will be the focus of attention on how he handeled this situation.
He will be judged by the return for sure, like Thompson I have questions, if it's like Holmes plus players it's good

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It was perfectly clear what you were trying to say and makes complete sense. Sell this year, sell next year make a run the l season after with the assets you've acquired. Unfortunately a specific poster seems to have trouble following along.
Don’t you have a job or a wife or kids or something? Have a great day.

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
You’re in a similar situation to Kingston where if you buy buy buy you still likely go out first round. That’s the unfortunate truth. 2(TWO) of Brampton, Barrie, Oshawa, Brantford, Kingston, Sudbury only make it on to the second round.

I believe Kingston and Sudbury are likely those teams. You won’t be better than Brampton or barrie for starters, Oshawa has been struggling but they’ll figure it out, also will be getting Calum Ritchie back in the next week or two likely. Dylan Roobroeck has a chance to come back still too. Brantford has been playing without Vanacker, they just got hamara and according to some jiricek has been practicing with the team- not to mention they still have a crap ton of picks and 16 year old O’Donnell to trade at the deadline if need be.

With musty leaving soon you would have lost your entire first line from last year and 128 goals, 307 points JUST from that top line. To put into perspective your returning leading scorer after musty is Delic who had 30 goals(on pace for 7 on the year right now lol- will pick up but still) and 54 points which is 10 less than he had last year.

You will quite literally have to buy a whole new top line, and even still none of them may be as good as musty. Now is it really worth going all in to lose round 1?
What the heck are you talking about.

NO ONE here is suggesting that we buy this year and I am saying SELL.

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
Could the wolves not structure a deal that moves musty now and in January send another player to the same team for the 16 yearold they want?

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Could the wolves not structure a deal that moves musty now and in January send another player to the same team for the 16 yearold they want?
No

Two part moves are against league rules after I believe it was the Nazem Kahdri trade and it was complicated by and injury

agillarda

Jan 3, 2024
I would think potentially you could do that with a part 2, and that could be part of what is taking soo long. Have to have both agreed to now while also having it look above board. Can't make the main part now and trade a 10th for an 08, don't think teams would like that.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Is this a league wide issue, with refs calling the slews and the league not suspending, or are the Wolves just first in this stat too? 🤔

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad