Sudbury Wolves 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I’m a Bulldogs fan but wanted to check out this thread for the updates on Musty. Maybe I am a homer for the league, but it’s getting frustrating hearing how the league is not good enough for guys like Musty, Cowan and Barlow. Should these guys be playing in the AHL? Probably but the way some media and fans talk you would think the OHL was a beer league. These guys will probably have long successful NHL careers and this extra year of playing in junior will mean nothing. People talk about how the league is not good for them yet they developed in this league the last 3 years to help them become the high rated prospects they are.

I am not going to pretend I am very knowledgeable on the Sudbury Wolves organization, but they must have done something right to help Musty get to be a 1st round NHL pick and close to the NHL. Or was it all Musty and the Wolves and the league did nothing to develop him?

End of rant ;)
If I'm not mistaken, I dont think Cowan has issues with returning to London. I believe I read that in an article few weeks back.
I mean I get it some think they have nothing to prove in junior but for some their options are limited.

Pharand needs to show a ton more.
But is he capable is the question.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Malcolm ? Looks to be a 1st rounder for the 2025 NHL hockey draftt. Erie would hangup the phone.

And not sure why wolves think other teams want our castaways

That deal in no way benefits Erie
Believe what his thinking is, is that Musty and Pharand would help the Otters more this year than Spence will but next year when musty and (likely) Pharand move on to bigger and better things Spence will be back as a 19 year old in a year Sudbury looks poised to go for it. Didn’t include talking about molnar since you’re losing him regardless.

It won’t happen but thinking of it this way is pretty interesting.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Great post pal, I for one welcome it. His dad can build him a rink in the backyard this winter for all I care. Also, this business of blah blah people won’t wanna report here, etc.. Whatever too bad. I would think San Jose would be more upset with him than the Wolves, specifically considering their diplomatic article on him that essentially said he has an attitude problem.

San Jose definitely not driving the trade request
I think it’s pretty interesting that he did originally come to camp and I wouldn’t be surprised if upon learning he wouldn’t be running the show he decided he didn’t wanna come back. OK, I’ll wait for his billet and the like to respond. Pretty easy to see who they were.

This is pretty close to what is going on

armchaircoaches

Oct 24, 2022
Believe what his thinking is, is that Musty and Pharand would help the Otters more this year than Spence will but next year when musty and (likely) Pharand move on to bigger and better things Spence will be back as a 19 year old in a year Sudbury looks poised to go for it. Didn’t include talking about molnar since you’re losing him regardless.

It won’t happen but thinking of it this way is pretty interesting.
Were the heck u think pharand is going come on now

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
If I'm not mistaken, I dont think Cowan has issues with returning to London. I believe I read that in an article few weeks back.
I mean I get it some think they have nothing to prove in junior but for some their options are limited.

But is he capable is the question.
Cowan seems to be taken it well. I was more referring to media and Leaf fans acting in hysterics that Cowan is going back to the OHL that it’s somehow going to end his career.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Were the heck u think pharand is going come on now
Oh I completely agree lmao he has as good of a chance as Miedema as making the ahl next year. However it’s not 0

Cowan seems to be taken it well. I was more referring to media and Leaf fans acting in hysterics that Cowan is going back to the OHL that it’s somehow going to end his career.
Well they are leaf fans 😝

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Should be interesting to see how the rest of the league (players) respond to musty wherever he lands. He doesn't like to get hit, he doesn't hit back and takes retaliatory penalties. Players in the past would purposely hit him and get him off his game. I'll be sure to watch his games going forward.

Reactions: three dog night

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I'd say now that the request has been made, SJ will be trying to push it to get done as will Mustys reps. Neither will want him sitting half the year.
That’s obvious and the Wolves would like this done sooner rather than later but the Wolves aren’t going to trade him for a third round pick. They need to get good value but with the way the demand was made, the reasons for the trade, his reputation around the league and the timing, getting value now when teams still don’t know what they have won't be easy.

This still likely gets done very soon

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
That’s obvious and the Wolves would like this done sooner rather than later but the Wolves aren’t going to trade him for a third round pick. They need to get good value but with the way the demand was made, the reasons for the trade, his reputation around the league and the timing, getting value now when teams still don’t know what they have won't be easy.

This still likely gets done very soon
He hasn't done himself any favors with this demand. Teams know of his attitude issues and now who wants to take a chance that he'll be happy in his new environment? SJ must be a little concerned about their property! I would be.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The attitude thing is being blown out of proportion imo. Musty’s game would play well in Erie. The stumbling block for a team with few actually disposable assets is the cost.
The problem for the wolves may be Flint and Kingston are not on Musty’s list of teams.

Reactions: djscooter

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wolves hold all the cards, waive your no trade clause or sit at home, we are most likely heading to the lottery so waiting till January should be no big deal. Treat it as a long term injury, if he was out with an injury and was expected back by January 1 would there still be value?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think the longer we wait the better the compensation package in return will get.

The only thing is Papineau willing to wait it out if the the team is not doing well in the standings?

If the team is doing well no hurry to trade him, but if team is sinking I think the Wolves will pull a trade sooner than later to strengthen the team to make sure they make playoffs.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
IMG_7680.jpeg

Past Mem Cup winners. 1932 Wolves. Some reminders of some penalties we may see today….

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The attitude thing is being blown out of proportion imo. Musty’s game would play well in Erie.

You think the 2 minute shifts, one way play and yelling at teammates and coaches would play well in Erie? His game only plays well there if he accepts what Butler is selling.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The attitude thing is being blown out of proportion imo. Musty’s game would play well in Erie. The stumbling block for a team with few actually disposable assets is the cost.
The problem for the wolves may be Flint and Kingston are not on Musty’s list of teams.
Have you considered that Quentin Musty caused inflation though? I heard a rumor it was all him! About as reliable as most of the 'facts' people post in this thread.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You think the 2 minute shifts, one way play and yelling at teammates and coaches would play well in Erie? His game only plays well there if he accepts what Butler is selling.

I really do think Musty would be good for Erie, and Butler good for Musty.

Have you considered that Quentin Musty caused inflation though? I heard a rumor it was all him! About as reliable as most of the 'facts' people post in this thread.

No, though I am unsure what you mean; I think there is some sarcasm there.

I think the price for Musty falls in line with Rehkopf and Barlow.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But will the package brought forward be good for wolves. That's my concern . Not mustys relationship with butler

Idk, that really depends on if Papineau feels the need to come away one very good player that takes away from Erie’s chances this season. I can think of a package that I like for for both sides, but that may not suit Papineau’s ego.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Idk, that really depends on if Papineau feels the need to come away one very good player that takes away from Erie’s chances this season. I can think of a package that I like for for both sides, but that may not suit Papineau’s ego.
Whats your package deal. What could you feel comfortable as the wolves GM receiving that could bold well for now and the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad